the little things

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: the little things

Post by Earthpig »

Spooky wrote:What odd bits of kit has anyone found made a difference to their lives in the field,
It was common practice in the Maggot Squad to laminate nudie pics to the backs of all our topo maps. There was many a rainy night when I eagerly anticipated 'taking five' to go over our route to the OBJ. 8)
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I think that map thing was a Ranger thing not just your company.

Ranger2
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

If you know it is going to be cold and they say it is only a one day operation make and not to take any cold weather gear make sure you take an evasion map or a space blacket. It will save your life. Oh and Dip lots of it. :wink:
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Poncho liner. I didn't have one for a few years and a couple of years ago I went and bought one. My kids call it the "Magic" blanket because it is always warm. They love it too. I take it everywhere.

Ranger2
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

'Cho liner....hands down. 8)
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

footwear is the best thing for me. If you are going to go out Rangering, I find that it is best to wear something on your feet, otherwise you get some branches and shit like that stuck in your feet.
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
the_machine
Tadpole

Post by the_machine »

I was all about carrying the poncho liner. Kept me from freezing my ass off more than once.
11-M(B co. 3/15 inf, 24th inf)

Why did I re-enlist?...the scenery changes, the pay is good and i get to play with dynamite.
eltrane
Tadpole

Post by eltrane »

In Germany I had a wet weather parka with a woobie (poncho liner) lining made, very nice when you're in the cupola on the autobahn in winter and the heater is out on the vehicle. I still wear it if I'm going to be out for a while in the cold.
RIP SSG Greg Gourley KIA Hawija 22 Feb 06

11b pig gunner 2/2 inf 84-86, TL 2/87 inf, 5/8 inf, 86-88
ChipOnShoulder

cheating.

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

As far as gear is concerned. Air activated 8hr. toe warmers. Used to stick them sons o' bitches all over my body and folks could never figure out why I was never cold :twisted: The next cool guy items would include a neck gaiter, decent gloves, and of course the cho-liner or smokin' jacket (M-65 field coat liner).
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

I completely agree with Ranger Doc Cook. Especially that neck gaiter, one of the best things the Army ever issued me.

If you go somewhere overly cold, I found a good combo for head coverings: neck gaiter--pulled up over the nose, over that the old sleeping hood that came with the old sleeping bag (but is not on the parts list :twisted: )--velcro that under your chin, it keeps the neck gaiter from slipping down, then the balaklava over that--also pulled up over the nose. This combo also fits well with the Helmet on.

There's also a heavy sleeping hood and booties that come with a 3-part intermediate(?) cold weather sleeping bag system--the one that has the green compression bag--the workers at CIF apparently haven't realized that the hood and booties are part of the inventory...they gave those back to me when I turned the sleeping bag in!

Return to “Personal Gear”