Ranger

Post by Runner »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy shit.
A co 3/75 '07-'10
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Back on July 4th 1985 me and a Ranger Buddy (Guzman) went down to Infrantry Hall cause Ranger Guzman was the backup photographer for the post when whoever was responsibile was unavailable. The entire airborne class were all there to watch a display from the Silver Wings for all the Airborne Studs on the 4th.

Unfortunately one of our Ranger Brethren who was on the team had a total malfunction (streamer) and was fighting to cut away the whole time as he was coming down, but he didn't make it cause his arms were pinned from the reserve that wrapped around him. He hit right in front of Infantry Hall, most of the class scattered as he got to about 200 ft. I remember feeling totally helpless and hoping that he could cut away as he struggled, others thought he passed out from the force of the spin but me a Guzman could tell he was fighting it the whole way down. We and some Black Hats from Airborne School were the first to reach him after he hit but there was nothing we could do. I recall that after the Airborne class saw that tragic event almost half of them quit the very next day or soon afterwards. I didn't get to go to his funeral (only Senior NCO's/Officers went from Regiment) but it was a big deal in the Ranger Community and I certainly will never forget it.

So to answer your stupid question, YES jumping out of airplanes can be dangerous. Becoming a Ranger (if thats what you're here for) will almost certainly put you in dangerous situations. If you're worried about Airborne School, maybe you should consider another route to take in the service cause Airborne School is just a formality for us.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:

Return to “About Airborne School”