Combat Lifesaver-Like Civilian Training?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Combat Lifesaver-Like Civilian Training?

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Anyone know of any civilian medical training programs that are like the Combat Lifesaver course? I'm looking for something more in depth than your basic First-Aid/CPR course. I'm looking for something that might be had locally. I figured one of the Docs here might be able to point me in the right direction.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
BadMuther
BANNED

Re: Combat Lifesaver-Like Civilian Training?

Post by BadMuther »

Have you tried the community colleges?

In NC all police/fire/ems training is done through local CC's, and a lot of classes are open to anyone.

Otherwise try some of the private tactical med companies.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Unfortunately, you are comparing apples and oranges when it comes to the civilian vs. military medicine. Even in the military, the way CLS is being taught is very different from place to place, with different emphasis depending upon the types of casualties that will be seen, patient population, etc.

That being said, your best bet would probably be to get the EMT basic training, then at least a Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support class in addition. I say that because the government mandates the standard of care to be taught, and most EMT basic is not enough in my view. (leave it to a govt. agency to fuck up a wet dream, no?..) The PHTLS covers in detail how to decide whether to load and go vs. stay and play. It's also much more up to date for things like bleeding control and aggressive airway management. After that, if you wanted to you could take a tactical EMS course, but most require you to be affiliated with an EMS agency at a minimum, if not in a Tactical EMS capacity. As much as they might like to think they are "hard core", most civilian EMT basic (and even military CLS) training is a joke compared to how we ran the EMT course in Battalion. Most people don't realize the level of intensity you need to be able to function on a really nasty call, and the civilian training I have seen doesn't even come close. It's the kind of thing you really don't learn until you have a lot of calls under your belt.

Like BM said, most local community colleges offer some type of EMT basic. You could also try asking at a local FD. If they don't do the training in house, they will be able to let you know where it is offered. I don't know the company off hand, but the guys our local SWAT teams do their tactical EMS training with will come to you and run a class if you get enough people together (I think they are based out of Savannah, Ga ).

To find the PHTLS classes, the only help I can give you is google the name and see if one is offered near you. In the Peoples Republic of Connecticut, the state EMS oversight agency keeps an updated list of courses and dates for all EMS training and who offers it during the year. See if your state agency has the same.

Lastly (or first, I suppose..) you should ask yourself what you want to do with the training. Do you intend to pursue a career in EMS/FD where it is required? Or rather, do you just want to have the right knowledge and be able to help out when the shit hits the fan? One of the most important skills that a medical practitioner on any level can learn is know when you're over your head and need help.

Good luck with it and feel free to PM me if you need some more info.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Rangers BadMuther and The Sleepy Doc, Thanks for the info; that gives me a good starting point. I'm looking for medical training for my own personal knowledge, in case I'm in a situation where I need it.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

Thank you Rangers, for the info.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

A good combination of classes are Red Cross First Aid and AHA CPR Basic Life Support for health care provider. Between those two you will be taught the major components of airway control and bleeding control. The AHA class has simple Airway Adjuncts and training on the AED.

There has been a lot of talk here in Indiana about dropping the First Responder level or combining it with the current EMT Basic training and then adding to the Advanced EMT program to bring it up closer to the NREMT Intermediate level, making that the lowest level of providers on an Ambulance. One thing to keep in mind is that all ALS skills like IV initiation and any other invasive skills usually involve an affiliation with a health care provider as Ranger Sleepy Doc said. I can do any of my BLS skills anywhere in Indiana but I can only function as Advanced Life Support while on the clock in my truck or ER.

The advantages of an EMT course is it opens the door to a part time job gaining the experience needed for any further advancement in training. My opinion is if you took the CLS course you are probably at or above the level of any EMT coming out of school today.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
RngrDoc75
Ranger

Post by RngrDoc75 »

The closest thing to combat lifesaver in the civilian world is the First Responder course. This is designed for law enforcement and firefighters to perform medical procedures before EMS arives at a scene. It actually carries a certification card depending on the state. The National Registry of EMT maintains a certification generally accepted nationwide.

http://www.nremt.org/nremt/EMTservices/ ... istory.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RngrDoc75
Ranger Medic, 75th RGR Regt
1990-1995 at 1/75
1995 to 2012 at RHQ
2012 to 2015 at USSOCOM
2015 to Present CoTCCC/Joint Trauma System

if you can do the math and have been in the Regt medical team in those years, then you probably know who I am...

Dominatus Comminus Rememdium
"Mastery in Close Combat Medicine"

Return to “Medical Issues”