mini laptops

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

mini laptops

Post by Steadfast »

Any suggestion? I'm in the market to make a choice. Interested in also transmiting/receiving Fax's. Battery power, basic communications, somewhat fast,
don't have to be HD. I've found this particular recent article.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... Id=9114478

Is Linux an easy system to use?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

resqparamedic has had one for a while, he seems to like it. I don't know what kind it is. Sorry I can't be more help.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Dell makes some fairly inexpensive small sized laptops for $900-1500

If you've never used Linux, don't get that operating system. You can't install standard Windows programs on Linux.

Linux is still primarily for computer geeks or those more technically inclined with playing on the computer (rather than just using).

I just bought one of these 15.1" display Studio laptops for my neice. Paid about $1000 after adding a 3 year no fault warranty:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... l=en&s=dhs
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

BruteForce wrote:Dell makes some fairly inexpensive small sized laptops for $900-1500

If you've never used Linux, don't get that operating system. You can't install standard Windows programs on Linux.

Linux is still primarily for computer geeks or those more technically inclined with playing on the computer (rather than just using).

I just bought one of these 15.1" display Studio laptops for my neice. Paid about $1000 after adding a 3 year no fault warranty:

1st, thanks for your response Rangerguru.

BruteForce, am looking very small & will be traveling shortly. 'puter not used for work; coming to this site, making some notes & pic's. The Acer One looks good with a 5 hr battery. $399 is the approx $ I am looking at. Have no desire to spend much more & if I get just 1 year use out of it (here & there), it has full-filled my dreams.

Will a amateur like me to be able to get by on a Linux system?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Steadfast wrote:
BruteForce wrote:Dell makes some fairly inexpensive small sized laptops for $900-1500

1st, thanks for your response Rangerguru.

BruteForce, am looking very small & will be traveling shortly. 'puter not used for work; coming to this site, making some notes & pic's. The Acer One looks good with a 5 hr battery. $399 is the approx $ I am looking at. Have no desire to spend much more & if I get just 1 year use out of it (here & there), it has full-filled my dreams.

Because of the massive amounts of different distributions of Linux, there's a wide variety of skill levels that'll find a version specifically geared for them. I think you'll probably get along well with whatever they bundle.

That said, take a close look at the programs that you use frequently and will have issues with doing without. If any of them do not have a direct Linux counterpart, you're going to be running into a brick wall.

If you have any questions about specific programs and whether they have an equivalent Linux program, ask away. If I don't know off the top of my head, I can do some digging and find out easily enough.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Steadfast wrote: BruteForce, am looking very small & will be traveling shortly. 'puter not used for work; coming to this site, making some notes & pic's. The Acer One looks good with a 5 hr battery. $399 is the approx $ I am looking at. Have no desire to spend much more & if I get just 1 year use out of it (here & there), it has full-filled my dreams.

If all you're looking for is a basic word processing program and an Internet browser, then the Acer with Linux will work just fine.

As EvilCouch indicates -- if you need to install anything else, you may have issues if there's not a comparable Linux alternative.

As it stands, Linux has the Firefox browser and has MS Word/Wordperfect type variations for note taking.

I'd just be sure that it has a removable memory slot for your digital camera so you don't have to mess around with software/drivers, etc.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
litlbird
Ranger Mom

Post by litlbird »

I've used an Acer 15" Travelmate/Windows XP for a couple of years now, it's been dependable and has always fired right up. Invest in a really good travel case for sure. I currently installed a really large estimating/cad type program on it for work here at the house last month...it hasn't choked on it.

My son purchased an Acer 17" for his gaming needs after checking out several makes and models.

The larger the screen, the more it will suck on the battery.

I use a gov. Toughbook on disaster work. It is tough and multifunctioned, a good computer for hours of field work...you don't really need to baby it with a case at all.

Take care,
litlbird
Save A Cowboy...Ride A Harley

Sometimes I feel like a bitch and sometimes I don't.
kclemens
Tadpole

Post by kclemens »

Ranger Steadfast,

I would not recommend Linux if you have never used a command line before. (Don't know if you have or haven't?) There are many distributions of Linux, but almost all of them require some sort of knowledge with the command line to install programs. But, Linux is great if you would like to try it out.

With that said, Microsoft no longer allows manufacturers to put Windows XP on machines. Windows Vista requires at LEAST 1GB of RAM, and 2GB to run smoothly. Linux does not require that much memory. If you choose Windows and still want to try out Linux, you can always use a boot CD.

If you are on a budget and want a good laptop, I would recommend www.newegg.com. They have great items at awesome prices, and would save you a few bucks from Wally World and Best Buy.

Sorry for the ramble. Just don't want you to get ripped off.
"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I have no fear because I am the meanest motherfucker in the whole valley."
-GEN. George S. Patton
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Stead:

If you're really serious about a real "mini" without learning linux, I have a buddy who's had one of these for the last 2 years. The things damn near bombproof, small and easy to use. His has Windows XP:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2479

These mini laptops are not cheap when new (that is if you can even find them) but if you do enough hunting for them, a few show up now and again on ebay and Amazon. Probably the smallest workhorse in mini's out there. 8)

Just an example below of what some of these fetch used!

Do some hunting. Some of the older models are a lot more reasonable in price with lots of upgrades and parts still available for them.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

kclemens wrote:Ranger Steadfast,

I would not recommend Linux if you have never used a command line before. (Don't know if you have or haven't?) There are many distributions of Linux, but almost all of them require some sort of knowledge with the command line to install programs.
You're out of date by a couple of years.

Consumer-targeted distros just about always have a package manager that has a user-friendly front end now.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
lonergr77
Ranger

Re: mini laptops

Post by lonergr77 »

Check tigerdirect.com they have all kinds of sales going with lot's of options to choose from. If you sign up to their mailing list you will get alerts to deals on items usually they are laptops and desktop computers of various brands.
lonergr77

3rd Plt, Cco, 2/75 - Nov '96 to Dec '99
RRD - Dec '99 to Dec '03
TSE Inc - Dec '03 to May '10
RRC Civilian - May '10 -
RC - 3-98

Return to “The Mosh Pit”