Lock Boxes During OSUT

Basic & AIT
psxdns

Lock Boxes During OSUT

Post by psxdns »

I hear that anything with value (specifically watches) should be left at home while during basic, but at AIT (and what about Airborne? RIP? so on?) it's a different story because you get a lock box to keep such things in - is this still true?

Haven't seen any topic on this yet so might as well ask, since it seems to be a simple enough question :P.

Thanks,

Eric
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

If you go to OSUT... like if you go 11X or 13F, you will be in the same place for the whole time. So there won't be much of a chance to get high value items unless they are sent to you. Airborne/RIP you have a locker just like you do in OSUT/Basic/AIT. I guess you can call that a "lock box".

My suggestion is to not worry about material shit. If you really need your "bling bling" watch to take with you to AIT or Airborne or RIP... you aren't setting your priorities right. A cell phone is about the most expensive thing you should want to keep on you or take with you. Maybe a CD player since they actually let you use that shit now.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
psxdns

Post by psxdns »

Ranger Disinfertention,

LOL CD players? You've gotta be shitting me :P.

And nope - my priorities are set, I was just curious.. Probably be best (since of course, its OSUT, like you said) to wait till after RIP for things like this..

They do let you have shit like watches after RIP (assigned to bat, or whatever happens next), correct?

Thanks,

Eric
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

One of the most wonderful things about Army training is that you won't need a watch. You'll be told when to get up, when to go to sleep, when to go, when to stop, when to shit, etc., etc., etc. You'll be provided with everything you'll NEED. Don't worry.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

No... Once you get with whatever unit you are going to they take even more stuff away from you. I hope you dont wear glasses or contacts, because they take those too. Also, a wife? Yeah, that belongs to the PLT now... oh wait, a girlfriend? She's for the Company. Kids? Target Practice. Thanks for signing up!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Disinfertention wrote:No... Once you get with whatever unit you are going to they take even more stuff away from you. I hope you dont wear glasses or contacts, because they take those too. Also, a wife? Yeah, that belongs to the PLT now... oh wait, a girlfriend? She's for the Company. Kids? Target Practice. Thanks for signing up!
Just call me Jodie :wink:
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Bushmaster
Embryo

Post by Bushmaster »

Don't even think about CD players and cell phones.

Same goes for a variety of shit like playing cards, walk man, pagers, etc. I have handed out Article 15s like candy at Halloween for crap like that.

You should get a packing list BEFORE you go to BCT. Pack EVERYTHING that is on it and pack NOTHING that is not on it. It will be taken away from you during show down.

Nothing wrong with wearing a watch, and I highly encourage you to bring one. Don't bring a $2,500 Rolex. A $30 Ironman will suffice, and if you tear it up, its just $30.
Just a grunt.
ChemLightBattery
Tadpole

watch issue..

Post by ChemLightBattery »

i was really suprised, but my watch was one of the first things taken from me when i arrived to my company. i didnt get that fucker back till i was moved into a leadership role. when we switched leadership (well.. most of you understand) was promptly forced to surrender the highly sought after time piece to the powers that be. ive talked to alot of guys that have had the same experience. so dont be suprised if you get your shit snatched from you (youll get it back.... eventually :twisted: )
ImportsRsloths
Ranger

Post by ImportsRsloths »

I went to basic with just the clothes on my back and my wallet..... Best advice for you would be to do the same!
It's Mind over Matter. If you don't Mind, it won't Matter.
Loki
Tadpole

Post by Loki »

What about wedding rings?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Loki wrote:What about wedding rings?

Are you kidding me?

Yep, they cut your balls off and expect you to turn in your ring....NOT. :shock:

Give me twenty PU's for that one Loki
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Wearing rings of any kind during training is not a good idea.
You can lose a finger on an obstacle course or climbing down your reserve to get your ass out of a tree if the ring gets hung.
You might think of wearing the ring on your dog tag chain.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Loki
Tadpole

Post by Loki »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
You can lose a finger on an obstacle course or climbing down your reserve to get your ass out of a tree if the ring gets hung.
Roger that Ranger Kilted Heathen,

Thats what I thought of doing; either that or leaving hit home. I like the dt option though.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Loki wrote:
Kilted Heathen wrote:
Roger that Ranger Kilted Heathen,

Thats what I thought of doing; either that or leaving hit home. I like the dt option though.
Oh, good.
Do some push ups.
Then shut the fuck up.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Loki
Tadpole

Post by Loki »

Yes Ranger KiltedHeathen...no disrespect. What I meant was I wasn't going to wear it unless there was a different way, which you presented.
Last edited by Loki on March 6th, 2005, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “About OSUT”