Past collarbone fracture a disqualifier?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Historynerd2008
Embryo

Past collarbone fracture a disqualifier?

Post by Historynerd2008 »

Rangers,

After consulting "Army Regulation 40-501 Medical Services Standards of Medical Fitness" I have a few questions with regards to a two year old fracture of my collarbone which required surgery, and its effect on my eligibility to enlist and obtain a 11b opt. 40 contract.

2–11. Miscellaneous conditions of the extremities

"d. Fractures
(1) Malunion or non-union of any fracture (733.8), except ulnar styloid process."

My doctor/surgeon never mentioned a malunion/nonunion of the fracture. However, after having a surgery to put some hardware behind my clavicle, and a surgery to remove said hardware; when I touch the bone it doesn't feel perfectly uniform. I am fully functional and have since lifted weights/done push ups/ pull ups/ hit the heavy bag etc. And have never had an issue with range of motion, pain or instability/inability to perform the task at hand. My surgeon told me a year ago that my collar bone is in perfect working order and that I should have no limitations. I know this might sound asinine, I just want to double check before I waste too much of my recruiter's time.

"(2) Orthopedic hardware (733.99), including plates, pins, rods, wires, or screws used for fixation and left in place;except that a pin, wire, or screw not subject to easy trauma is not disqualifying."

So despite previously having hardware in there, the fact that it's all gone basically cancels out this worry, right?

"e. Injury of a bone or joint of more than a minor nature, with or without fracture or dislocation, that occurred within the preceding 6 weeks: upper extremity (923), lower extremity (924), ribs and clavicle (922)."

So according to this line I am good to go because my injury happened 2 years ago?

I realize these may sound like stupid questions. I just want to double check that I'm not misreading these. I've heard conflicting information with regards to fractures and enlisting.

Again just covering my own ass... Since this injury occurred two years ago, it is not an issue that I had a broken collar bone?

Thank you Rangers, and Vets, and anyone knowledgeable who feels like chiming in.
Historynerd2008
Embryo

Ranger Fish,

Thank you. I think I just needed to hear someone else confirm it for me. I don't want to lie at meps and I want this badly.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Go see your recruiter and enlist...
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Historynerd2008
Embryo

Ranger Bill,

I'm currently working on making my run times respectable. (Imma fatty :cry: )

As soon as I'm in proper shape I'm going to enlist.

Thank you for your reply.
lhayes1390
Embryo

Re: Past collarbone fracture a disqualifier?

Post by lhayes1390 »

Rangers,

I dug up this post because I have a very similar question.

A little over a year and a half ago I broke my collar bone in a mountain biking accident. The bone was going to form a malunion so the doctor offered me to get a plate and screws inserted to correct this. According to my doctor the collarbone successfully formed a perfect union, but the removal of the plate and screws was unnecessary; as such they remain in my collarbone. If I read this correctly that is a disqualifyer and I need to get a surgery to have it removed. Is this an accurate assumption?

Though I see a clause which reads if it is "not subject to easy trauma" it is not disqualifying. Would this injury be covered under that clause?

There is no limitation of range of motion; I can perform all activities with the injured bone that I can with the uninjured one.

I should be talking to a recruiter soon (possibly tomorrow), and I will ask him this question as well.

-Leo

Return to “Medical Issues”