VA plans to raise disability benefits

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Silverback
Ranger

VA plans to raise disability benefits

Post by Silverback »

Recognizes impact of mild brain injuries

WASHINGTON — The government plans to substantially increase disability benefits for veterans with mild traumatic brain injuries, acknowledging for the first time that veterans suffering from this less severe version of the Iraq war's signature wound will struggle to make a living.

"We're saying it's real," said Tom Pamperin, a deputy director for the Department of Veterans Affairs, about the significance of the change to benefits in the regulation the VA plans to publish today.

Up to 320,000 troops who served in Iraq and Afghanistan suffered traumatic brain injury, a RAND Corp. study estimated this year. The vast majority of the cases are mild and came from exposure to an explosion, often from a roadside bomb. Most veterans with mild cases recover, Pamperin said, but some are left with permanent problems.

Compensation could reach $600 a month, the VA said. Currently, veterans with symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, sensitivity to light, ringing in the ears, irritability and insomnia collect $117.

After it takes effect in 30 days, the new regulation will benefit between 3,500 and 5,000 veterans a year, the department said. It estimated the changes would cost an extra $120 million through 2017.

More than 1.6 million U.S. troops have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. About half of those are now veterans, and slightly less than half of those veterans have sought health care from the VA, records show. In the past year, the department has screened 190,000 of these veterans for brain injury. About 20% showed signs of a brain injury, but only about 5% were confirmed as suffering the wound.

Full Story
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

This may affect yours truly as I have been diagnosed with "Post concussion" injuries.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Silverback wrote:This may affect yours truly as I have been diagnosed with "Post concussion" injuries.
I dont think that giving blow jobs counts.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Ranger Luna wrote:
Silverback wrote:This may affect yours truly as I have been diagnosed with "Post concussion" injuries.
Make sure you are gentle when you break the news to your mother.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Silverback wrote:
Ranger Luna wrote:
Make sure you are gentle when you break the news to your mother.
BAM!!!! Now that was funny and Luna my friend you through that hanging curve ball right over the plate! :lol: :lol:
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Guess who called me today? VA and it seems I have been scheduled for an "MtBI clinic"....

And so it starts.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Post Service Issues”