Daily workout post

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Nomad
Ranger

Re: Daily workout post

Post by Nomad »

The description is as follows:

"Stand in a boxer stance, with the barbell resting on the back of your neck and shoulders, squat four times, then switch your stance and do it four more times."

Does that work?
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Good to go. Just as an FYI, as someone who is currently serving you do not need to refer to me as Ranger. You've earned your place in this crowd.

For Saturday, we're going to have some fun. This one was a real kick in the junk today. Again, this one is going to be working your core quite a bit and is more of an MMA type workout, but it does wonders for your overall conditioning.

You will do the following exercises, for a total of three rounds with 30 seconds of rest in between each round. The way it will work is that you will do each exercise for 30 seconds, then move on to the next without pause and continue until you hit four minutes total time. 8 exercises @ 30 seconds each = 4 minutes. I hope I'm not losing anyone yet. After you have done the first 8 exercises, you will take a 30 second break, then do the next set of exercises for four minutes total, take 30 seconds rest and then do the final set of exercises for four more minutes. Make sense?

First Round

DB Bridge (side to side)
DB Bridge (Press)
DB Bridge (1-2-1-2)
DB Lunges
Curl and Press (while on your knees)
DB Push Up Rows

30 second rest.

Second Round

DB Side Step / Shuffle (Grab a heavy Kettle or Dumbell for this)
DB Squats
Box Jumps (18 -24 inch box or matt)
DB Squat Thrust
Burpees
Up & Downs (Run in place, down, Push up, back up etc)

30 second rest.

Third Round

DB Push Up Row
DB Bent Over Row
Punch and Crunch (keep punching the entire time you're doing the crunch, not just at the bottom or top)
Squats (no added weight)

Now the smart ones here have already figured out that this does not break down perfectly. Some of the exercises you will have to do one more time, i.e. in the first round you will do the DB Bridge Side to Side and DB Bridge Press a second time before completing the round.

I would highly recommend printing this out when you take it to the gym with you or saving it to your phone so you can see what you need to do. Best case scenario, you borrow a friend of yours to help read this off for you while you're doing it and then you challenge him to do it afterwards.

Since most have never done a DB Bridge, I am going to explain it very briefly. Imagine yourself on your back with an aggressor on top. You have to get rid of him, so you thrust your hips upwards and push off with your right leg, now swing the opposite arm across your body. Except you're doing it with light dumbbells now. The DB should come across your chest and past your other shoulder, touch the ground, then come right back to your side because you will now be doing it the exact opposite with your other arm.

DB Bridge Press is like a DB Benchpress, except again you will keep your hips up the entire 30 seconds while grinding out as many presses as you can. The DB Bridge 1/2 is a basic punch combo, again with you in the bridge position and now punching with the DB's for thirty seconds.

The DB side shuffle has you squatting down, with your legs more than shoulder width apart and you will side step ten feet to the right, then ten feet back to the left, while holding a heavy dumbbell in between your legs, right about where your junk is.

The curl and press is done while you're on your knees. Curl, then go directly into a military press. Do that without stopping.

If I have left anything else up for guesstimation, let me know.

For your information, I used three sets of light dumb bells. 10, 15, 20 lbs each and a KB that was about 1/3 of my body weight.

The entire workout should take right around 14 minutes and if you're not dripping with sweat afterwards then you need to tell me because I'd like to clone your DNA for the future Alien wars!
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

click 'select all'
click 'cut'
Open 'Workout' folder
Open 'Workout' document
click 'paste'
save as 'Sadomasochist Workouts'
Click 'Print'
laminate
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Glad you're getting something out of them. As a Triathlete, I am sure this is nothing too hard for you, but it sure targets some muscles you don't normally use.

Workout for Sunday:

Again, 3 four minute rounds of the following exercises, with exactly 30 seconds per exercise.

Barbell Thrusters with 10lbs on each side.

Boxing with rubber band (Wrap a rubber exercise band about shoulder height, then grab handles and punch continuously)

Bridges (no dumbbell used)

1-2 Punch and Sprawl (hit bag or shadowbox with a jab followed by a cross, then drop to a sprawl, back up and repeat)

Burpees

Jumping Pull Ups (if you have a rope, use that instead of a regular pull up bar)

Medicine Ball Push Ups (5 on each side, then use the other hand. This will help your stability.)

Supine Bicycle

After you're done with the above, which constitutes one round, take 60 seconds and do it again two more times.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

So..two Saturday workouts? Are you trying to kill me, dude?

As a triathlete, the upper body stuff is killing me. That's why I'm doing it.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

PK, I corrected it. Since I am on the other side I sometimes forget the days. Mea culpa.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Thank God. I'm walking like Quasimoto after yesterday. These workouts are good shit.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

For Monday's WO, we'll be getting (re)acquainted with our version of the "The Filthy Fifty".

In sequence you will do 50 repetitions of each exercise before moving on to the next one:

Jumping Pull-Ups
Standing Barbell Military Press with 25lbs plates on each side
Walking Lunges (50 each side)
KB Swings (25% BW)
Benchpress 135lbs
Back extensions (no added weight)
Wall Balls (Grab a 20lbs medicine ball, throw it high up against a wall, catch it and squat.)
Burpees
Jump Rope (Either 50 L/R leg or 50 doubles, meaning the rope passes under your feet twice before you touch the ground again).

Post your times.

Mine was 21:32min and I had to break the Burpees down into sets of 5, then 3, then did singles.

Have fun!
Praetorian
Future Soldier

Post by Praetorian »

Ranger Nomad,

Upon completing a run up one of the trails at Shenandoah National Park and continuing a hike down the other side I slipped and sliced my right foots heel off and a few chunks of gravel embedded in my left this past friday morning. I was unable to complete the workout, I will be completing the workout ASAP, I'm getting feeling back in my feet so it won't be long.

Atleast while I lose some days in the gym I learned the valuable lesson of always finding a secure and safe spot to change socks, etc.

-Mike
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Praetorian,

Don't worry about the workouts right now. You need to heal up so you can get ready to enlist. Just jump back in when you're better.

Everyone else, here is the WO for Tuesday:

You will complete these back to back. There is no break.

1000m row, 21 Thrusters (Barbell with 25lbs on each side), 21 Pull Ups

750m row, 15 Thrusters Barbell with 25lbs on each side), 21 Pull Ups

500m row, 9 Thrusters (Barbell with 25lbs on each side), 9 Pull Ups

My time this morning was 22:08 minutes and my HR hit 163 twice.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

25:30ish on the 50 (yesterday). Today's workout is 2 indoor soccer games.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Nice hijack.

So everyone can do the above workout or the following for Wednesday

500m row, 2 min break for three rounds (Max effort on the row. If you're not moving at a pace of under 2 minutes/500m you're dragging ass.)

10 Burpees, 10 Box Jumps, 1 min break for a total of 3 sets

400m sprint, 2 min rest for three rounds. (Max effort on the sprints.)
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

For Thursday we're going to do a gut-check:

For 20 minutes you are going to do as many rounds, in sequence of the following exercises:

8 Pull Ups
8 Dips
5 Handstand Push Ups (If/when you find yourself too smoked to knock out handstands, do elevated push ups)
8 KB Swings (45lbs KB)

I lost count after my 11th round (I think I did 15 total) but I can tell you that when I looked at my watch the first time, I was only 8 minutes into it and I was dripping with weakness. :D

Return to “About Army Physical Training”