13f

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
rickJ
US Army

13f

Post by rickJ »

Hi Rangers, I am not sure if this is the proper place for this post, I apologize if it is not. In my introduction I had mentioned 88M and recieved a few negative responses so I did some more in-depth research on 13F and was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up maybe that has been there done that. I am finding my path to Rangers if i have to dig a tunnel there with my teeth. I would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction.
I would rather live one day as a lion than 10,000 as a lamb.
UNATAINABLE E5
Ranger

Re: 13f

Post by UNATAINABLE E5 »

rickJ wrote: I am finding my path to Rangers if i have to dig a tunnel there with my teeth.
Good motivation man. While I am not an FO, most of my friends in Bn were FOs. I think it would be one of the cooler jobs in BN. How else can you kill multiple people over a radio? The FO were some of the more hardcore dudes too.
5-08
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."
Samuel Adams, 1779
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Bravo 57 should be along shortly

tread lightly, he eats his young
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

rickJ,
Being a 13F in the Regiment is most likely one of the coolest jobs you could ever imagine.

You get to do all of the same training that the infantry guys do as well as additional training that is job specific. The Infantry guys love to tag along with the Forward Observers when we would blow shit up. Not only are you proficient with your weapon, but you are a Radio God. Your Radio is your primary weapon.

As a 13F, you are more in tune with the entire scope of the mission (you have a radio and can hear what is going on). You quickly learn the bigger picture of the operations because you can hear what each platoon is doing/conducting.

With your radio, you are trained to blow shit up and kill people with;

Artillery
Mortars
Attack Helicopters (all of them)
Fixed wing Aircraft (A-10's, F-16's etc)
Naval Gunfire (anything in the Navy that has a weapon system)
AC-130

And all of the variences of the above, along with some others.

Here are 2 great examples of why being a 13F is a good choice.

No one outside of the Ranger Regiment understands what Ranger F.O.'s have at their disposal. If you have any more questions, keep asking.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Bravo57 wrote:rickJ,
Being a 13F in the Regiment is most likely one of the coolest jobs you could ever imagine.
No CIB for you...LOL Bravo 57 is spot on. It was the coolest job back before that regiment thing these young guys refer too... :lol: :lol: :lol:

JP
Charlie FIST Sargeant
13F2V Primary
11B2V Secondary.
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Tenn-RGR wrote:If you have any questions about current FO goings-on in the Regiment drop this Ranger a PM. Tell him I sent you. He is the man when it comes to Ranger-FO's/JTAC's.
profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=18163
Concur 100%. He will have more current info than what I can tell you.

No CIB, true, but at least now there is that fucking CAB! :lol: :lol:

I got nothin' cept a Scroll on my right shoulder. It's all good to me. :D
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
JLTW!!! wrote:fuck me! I Damn near get wood THINKING about Spectre and you get to dial 'em in and have ALL THE FUN! :twisted:
Anybody can control Spectre, its the fixed wing goodies that are fun. :twisted:
AND Roger That!

No more 2,000 pounders allowed on Benning anymore. Something about my Team SGT. and some big noise and some shock waves from 4 consecutive bombs hitting the range.... :lol: :lol:

It was pretty cool though. 8)
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

I was talking once with one of Bravo57s evil-bastard stepchildren and we both figured that a FO PFC in one of the Battalions gets to call for in more shit in 1 year (little birds, naval gunfire, fast movers..) than an FO in a leg unit will call in 4.

I'm just sayin'..

(be prepared to hump some weight, though..)
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
ambracia
Embryo

Post by ambracia »

Is it harder to get in as 13F ? From the reviews above its sounds great. Do 13F's serve in fireteams or are they independent units like medics ? Are they kept in the back ?
5"10 128 lbs
PU - 80
SU - 70
2 Mi - 16:30
RRDTm3
Ranger

Re:

Post by RRDTm3 »

Bravo57 wrote:rickJ,

i am going to be sick :?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
KyGoose
Embryo

Post by KyGoose »

Ambracia,

I have never served a day. But I would imagine a FO or Forward Observer would be up close and near to the front as they are calling in "shock and awe" to the enemies. I would also deduct that they need to have eyes on target to do that, no "Battleship" call ins allowed...."D5"......"Damnit you blew up my communications tower". *pumps fist*
"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight – it’s the size of the fight in the dog"
- General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Return to “About RASP”