Army Unveils New Combat Uniform

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

That new pattern doesn't look like it will work in a woodland/jungle enviroment. There is no way that one pattern is going to function well in all terrains. The OD Og 107's came the closest.
Last edited by Flesh Thorn on June 15th, 2004, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Flesh Thorn wrote:That new pattern doesn't look like it will work in a wo0dland/jungle enviroment.
It is made with a space age polymer that is wrinkle resistant and conceals coffee stains. :roll:
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have seen the visual testing done on the Marine camo and it appeared to work well, but I will agree with certiorari, the Army camo is too bright and needs some earth tones added to it.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Notice the way the patches stick out like targets? Add to that Ranger Steadfasts and my concern about noise from the velcro, and I think this new uniform sucks. Never mind that the style is GAY.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

http://www.stripes.com/04/jun04/uniform.html

Officer's Branch insignia removed for self-esteem reasons? Is Shinseki still driving the uniform changes?
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Who Do?
Tadpole

Post by Who Do? »

Leatherneck, you don't mean by one pattern that theres just gonna be one BDU, one color, for all theaters do you? I think the pattern is fine, just the colors need tweaking. The USMC definately hit the nail on the head with its MARPAT (from what I can see). I was watching the news when the mess with Fallujah started happening, and you could barely see the damn Marines in that sand/rock.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Slowpoke wrote:Notice the way the patches stick out like targets?
Especially the nice little 'center-mass' rank ensignia. I think I'd try to keep 'mosquito wings' as an E2 for as long as possible.....it makes for a smaller target than say, CSM.
The open collar looks better than the Star Trek version.
There is no way that will work in a jungle. I agree that the 107's were the best one in heavy canopy and grassy areas.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

EarthPig wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:Notice the way the patches stick out like targets?
Especially the nice little 'center-mass' rank ensignia. I think I'd try to keep 'mosquito wings' as an E2 for as long as possible.....it makes for a smaller target than say, CSM.
RLTW
EP

How many CSM's do you see out these days in FRONT of the troops. Most of em are rear echelon perchers and wouldnt be seen alive OR dead on the front line.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Abell9 wrote:
EarthPig wrote: Especially the nice little 'center-mass' rank ensignia. I think I'd try to keep 'mosquito wings' as an E2 for as long as possible.....it makes for a smaller target than say, CSM.
RLTW
EP

How many CSM's do you see out these days in FRONT of the troops. Most of em are rear echelon perchers and wouldnt be seen alive OR dead on the front line.
But they look cool. :roll:
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Who Do?
Tadpole

Post by Who Do? »

more pictures:

https://peosoldier.army.mil/photos/ACU3_high.jpg
https://peosoldier.army.mil/photos/ACU1_high.jpg

What I don't get is from what i remember from that article, they fielded the ACU with soldiers in a stryker brigade, and people training somewhere room clearing. Would it not have made sense to put it on someones back who isn't stateside, and who walks everywhere / jumps out of planes etc..?

Cadpat, Marpat, Armpat?

Return to “Personal Gear”