Heart rate monitor/GPS talk

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

How are you measuring your heart rate ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Flesh Thorn wrote:How are you measuring your heart rate ?
Garmin Forerunner 301
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I found a model made by Polar on clearance for $10 that was normally $56 at Walmart without any bells or whistles. I took it out for a test run-my up hill pace has been about right, but I need to run a little faster on the down hill sections.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Flesh Thorn wrote:I found a model made by Polar on clearance for $10 that was normally $56 at Walmart without any bells or whistles. I took it out for a test run-my up hill pace has been about right, but I need to run a little faster on the down hill sections.
I don't want to insult your intelligence so bear with me. There is a lot more to HR training than just knowing how fast your heart is beating (I am learning more every day).

viewtopic.php?p=535063#535063

Imagine my surprise when I found out there are Five HR zones!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
JohnDowland
Ranger

Post by JohnDowland »

Silverback wrote:Here's the factory link.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=270
I have been thinking about replacing my older Timex GPS system that measures pace/distance, but unfortunately does not measure cardio. I couldn't tell if the Garmin 301 included the former features as well as the latter, or if it purely a cardio monitor. The site wasn't all that clear, although it did mention alerts for pace/distance deviations, which I would assume means that it has those features included (optional features, maybe?).

Could I get some clarification on that point from a user?

Thanks.
3/75 '93-'95
Operation Uphold Democracy '94
OIF '10
OEF '10/'11
USASOC Chaplain

"Let not him who girds on his armor boast as he who takes it off!" - Ahab, king of Israel
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

JohnDowland wrote:

I have been thinking about replacing my older Timex GPS system that measures pace/distance, but unfortunately does not measure cardio. I couldn't tell if the Garmin 301 included the former features as well as the latter, or if it purely a cardio monitor. The site wasn't all that clear, although it did mention alerts for pace/distance deviations, which I would assume means that it has those features included (optional features, maybe?).

Thanks.
It calculates heart rate to include all 5 HR zones, Max HR, etc... it does require a chest strap.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

JohnDowland wrote:

Thanks.
What's real nice is that it 'learns' your HR zones so that after you use it for a long time (2 years or so) you don't even need to use the HR function much. Because it knows my weight and zones it tells me about how many calories I burn. This helps allow me to allocate beers at the end of the day. 400 calories burned on morning run = 2 or 3 beers allowed without getting fatter.

The pace/miles notifiers can be set for all sorts of things. You can set it to stop timing when you stop running, or to indicate if you have gone above or below a certain pace or just beep off the miles. There's a 'virtual trainer' option that shows where you are paced based off a little electronic dude that is 'pacing you.'

It's a pretty cool tool. Prices have come way down as well. There may be better watches out there, but I've certainly gotten my money's worth.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

PocketKings wrote:
JohnDowland wrote:

Thanks.
What's real nice is that it 'learns' your HR zones so that after you use it for a long time (2 years or so) you don't even need to use the HR function much. Because it knows my weight and zones it tells me about how many calories I burn. This helps allow me to allocate beers at the end of the day. 400 calories burned on morning run = 2 or 3 beers allowed without getting fatter.

The pace/miles notifiers can be set for all sorts of things. You can set it to stop timing when you stop running, or to indicate if you have gone above or below a certain pace or just beep off the miles. There's a 'virtual trainer' option that shows where you are paced based off a little electronic dude that is 'pacing you.'

It's a pretty cool tool. Prices have come way down as well. There may be better watches out there, but I've certainly gotten my money's worth.
I could not agree more.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

I would suggest that if you are serious about training for an event or are just a endurance/ cardio freak or just want to really know how you function that you find a Human Performance lab near you that can run you through a battery of tests that will help you understand how YOU operate and not how the norm operates. Rangers are never the norm. 8)

Here are a few of the things you want to find out about yourself so that you can cater a training plan to your specific needs. I went to Wichita state a few years ago to have mine done and it cost me about $300. will be going again this fall to see where my numbers are now.

The lactate threshold (LT) is the exercise intensity at which lactic acid starts to accumulate in the blood stream. This happens when it is produced faster than it can be removed (metabolized). This point is sometimes referred to as the anaerobic threshold (AT), or the onset of blood lactate accumulation (OBLA). When exercising below the LT intensity any lactate produced by the muscles is removed by the body without it building up. The lactate threshold is a useful measure for deciding exercise intensity for training and racing in endurance sports (e.g. distance running, cycling, rowing, swimming, motocross and cross country skiing), and can be increased greatly with training.

VO2 max (also maximal oxygen consumption, maximal oxygen uptake or aerobic capacity) is the maximum capacity of an individual's body to transport and utilize oxygen during incremental exercise, which reflects the physical fitness of the individual. The name is derived from V̇ - volume per time, O2 - oxygen, max - maximum.

Maximum heart rate (also called STD, or HRmax) is the highest number of times your heart can contract in one minute, or the heart rate that a person could achieve during maximal physical exertion. It is not the maximum one should obtain often during exercise. MHR is used as a base number to calculate target heart rate for exercise (see below).[3] The heart beats about 60 to 80 times a minute when we're at rest. Resting heart rate usually rises with age, and it's generally lower in physically fit people. Resting heart rate is used to determine one's training target heart rate. Athletes sometimes measure their resting heart rate as one way to find out if they're over trained. The heart rate adapts to changes in the body's need for oxygen, such as during exercise or sleep.

With that information in hand I recommend a book called the Endurance athletes edge to help you build a training plan. Match this info with a good HR monitor and a training log and you will be on your way to endurance super stardom or just a better understanding of your potential.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Oh yeah, I use the Garmin 305 and sometimes a SUUNTO T3C.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I use a Garmin Forerunner 301 as well.

My Suunto Advisor has a HR monitor in it as well... but, I rarely use that one unless I am in the SPIN room or running on a treadmill.

For mountain biking, or running outside... I use my Forerunner.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
JohnDowland
Ranger

Post by JohnDowland »

Thanks for the info.

The only drawback to leaving my old Timex system behind is that I will no longer look like a cyborg running through the neighborhood while toting that 25lb receiver/battery pack on my right bicep....
3/75 '93-'95
OIF '10
OEF '10/'11
USASOC Chaplain

"Let not him who girds on his armor boast as he who takes it off!" - Ahab, king of Israel
JohnDowland
Ranger

Post by JohnDowland »

PocketKings wrote:What's real nice is that it 'learns' your HR zones so that after you use it for a long time (2 years or so) you don't even need to use the HR function much. Because it knows my weight and zones it tells me about how many calories I burn. This helps allow me to allocate beers at the end of the day. 400 calories burned on morning run = 2 or 3 beers allowed without getting fatter. :roll:
Surely, a noble goal :lol: :lol: :lol:
3/75 '93-'95
OIF '10
OEF '10/'11
USASOC Chaplain

Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Heart Rate monitors are fucking gay. If you don't puke at the end of a run you didn't push yourself. You don't need to spend 200 bones to figure it out.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99

Return to “About Army Physical Training”