A private in Regiment

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
proudpop
Ranger Dad

A private in Regiment

Post by proudpop »

When my youngest son enlisted last year, it was his dream to be like his older brother, an Airborne Ranger. I looked high and low through the information in this web site looking for something to inspire him. "About RIP" had a post by cdwdirect, Ranger on June 13, 2006 titled "Thoughts of a private in Regiment" I printed it out and gave it to my son prior to enlisting, then mailed it to him in basic, and again in RIP. My son is in 3/75, with his original battle buddy, Ranger buddy, B_ _ _n. My son called me not long ago from a very bad place on the other side of the world. In our conversation, I asked him to reflect on cdwdirects post he had read so many times now that he was a private in regiment. He busted out laughing, and said he would write and tell me all about it. Yesterday I recieved his letter.

Dad, I read those pages again, HA HA, ya thats exactly what its like. When I remember having read those pages before basic and thinking to myself, there is no way it can be like that, that hard. When you sent me all those print outs, B_ _ _n and I thought it would be impossible, no way man! After we graduated from Airborne, we celebrated, we couldnt believe we were Airborne. We knew our next phase was just down the road, and B_ _ _n didnt think we could make it. For 5 months we had heard how hard it was, and how they ( Rangers ) were looked upon, not as soldiers, but some mythical superman or something like that. People we had been with for 5 months that had Ranger contracts were going to quit, or had already quit. Hell some didnt make it through the first week of jump school. One night B_ _ _n told me, I cant take this shit! Im quitting. I threw his ass up againt the wall, and told him bullshit, even if you dont make it, at least try. Looking back on it, ya it was a lot of shit, nothing was easy. Take it one thing at a time. Nothing comes easy. Man, I didnt get one good nights sleep my shins hurt so bad, or we would run so hard and long, we would be falling asleep running, thinking Id give anything to stop, but some how, you just dont quit, keep running. You get so tired you can sleep while walking, until you run into cadre, then shit happens!! You are sleep walking trying to find your azimuth on the compass, cadres up your ass. The people who make it just have something special, its all the tough people like us. I know you would have no problem doing this if you were my age dad. You have the mentality like everyone here. ( when I read this, my eyes were leakin ) Its not crazy hard, or unrealistic at all. You just have to have the drive. Looking back, I dont feel important, I guess we are just trying to make a difference, and if we try hard enough, we will. Thats the mentality of a private in Regiment.

Love Chuck

Chuck and B_ _ _n are in 3/75
US Navy Tin Can sailor 1961-65. Proud father of Two Army Rangers. RLTW
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Excellent post!

You sir should be damn PROUD! You did good!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

We have been blessed by having the opportunity to work with so many fine young men like Ranger CDWDirect.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Outstanding post!!! You must be extremely proud.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

Be very proud of your son and be very Proud of yourself for raising an Army Ranger!
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Outstanding - thanks for posting this.

Your sons aren't in the same batt are they?
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’

Return to “About RASP”