New Board to Ensure Consistency in Disability Ratings

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

July 01, 2008
American Forces Press Service|by Donna Miles

WASHINGTON – Former servicemembers who disagree with the disability ratings they received when they were discharged as unfit for military duty can now apply to have those ratings reviewed by a new Physical Disability Board of Review.

The Defense Department announced formation of the new board yesterday to reassess the accuracy and fairness of disability ratings assigned to discharged troops, Sam Retherford, the Pentagon’s deputy director of officer personnel management, told American Forces Press Service.

Several task forces and studies cited inconsistencies in the way the military departments assigned disability ratings for similar conditions, he said. The Army tended to assign the lowest ratings, according to the studies.

“The findings were enough to warrant the creation of a Physical Disability Board of Review,â€
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Silverback
Ranger

Re: New Board to Ensure Consistency in Disability Ratings

Post by Silverback »

Rangerguru wrote:The Defense Department designated the Air Force to operate and manage the new board, but it will include representatives from each military department, Retherford said.
WOW...just WOW!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

So, how does this tie in with the VA system...or doesn't it. I thought they were trying to streamline both?
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

PocketKings wrote:So, how does this tie in with the VA system...or doesn't it. I thought they were trying to streamline both?
I don't know, but I'm hoping that maybe with my 15 years and two weeks of total active duty time and my LA phone book size medical record due to service connected injuries, I'll get put on the retired list since I was deemed unfit for duty enough for them to put me out early against my wishes.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I hope it works.

I was kicked out early after only a total of 2 yrs and 8 months of service and was only given a 20% rating by the Army. In turn, the VA rated me at the same 20%. :roll:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando

Return to “Post Service Issues”