Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Hood
US Army Reservist

Introduction

Post by Hood »

First of all i would like to say thank you for accepting me into this forum. To even be able to sit here and have the "opportunity" to speak with Rangers is an honor for me. I would also like to thank all Rangers for their service, past and present.

With that said, my name is Matthew * (PERSEC VIOLATION - last names not permitted - Im giving you the name Hood. If you don't like the name PM Steadfast with another name you want to use. Administrator.) and im from Brooklyn Ny. I'll be 19 August 16th. Becoming a Ranger is something that has been in my head for as long as i can remember. The very word "Ranger" inspires and motivates me to strive for nothing but the best.

Out of Jr. High i took it upon myself to tryout for the football team. I considered playing football a stepping stone to getting in shape and 1 day becoming a Ranger. I was about 5'5 or 5'6 and in between 160-180lbs. My freshman year i got my ass handed to me. I never engaged in a contact sport so it was definitly a wakeup call. EVERYDAY of the off season was spent either conditioning or weightlifting. I knew i had a big problem with running so i also joined and participated in events for the track team. Sophmore year i did better and i was also made 1 of the team captains.

The off season came again and i decided to run track once more, conditioning and even lifting even more weights. As my Junior year started up and i showed up the first day of practice i was often called "roids" instead of Hood because of the change i was able to make in my body and how well i could play within a short amount of time. I actually took a seniors starting spot "One of the same guys who fucked me up constantly for 2 years straight" for the season and we also ended up winning the championship for our division.

My Senior year...point blank...i fucked up. I failed all my classes and i wasn't allowed to play football anymore. I joined the football team to get in shape to become a Ranger 1 day but im sure you can relate to me when i say that for the almost 4 years of being on that team i developed a bond with my coaches and fellow team members. I felt like i failed myself and most of all my team. I followed them each game throughout the season that i was missing. A big game came up in the playoffs and there were spots that could of been filled in by me. My teamates were tired and because "i" fucked up there was nothing i could do to help them get the win.

I fell into a state of depression for awhile and decided that i needed to move on. At the end of the year i had picked my grades back up but i needed 3 credits in order to obtain my Highschool diploma.
I worked over the summer to ease my mind off of football and invested into an automotive hobby. After the summer i went back to school and earned my 3 credits in pm school so that i could continue to make money and keep my automotive creativity going.

While going to pm school i met someone who had a connection with Benedict College in Columbia South Carolina. If he saw me at anytime he would immediatly tell me that i should be playing football again but i would make it clear that enlisting in the Army was my only concern after i got my diploma. He told me about ROTC and i thought about it for awhile and then decided to go that route. I understand that becoming an officer reduces my chances pertaining to becoming a Ranger but i also know that its not impossible and i strongly believe that a highly motivated individual such as myself can accomplish anything i really set my soul to.

I finished school and got my original Highschool diploma. I also have never given up lifting weights as its become another hobby of mine even after playing football for my school. I had a gym membership but when that expired i started going to Fort Hamilton to use the equipment they have there. I am now 6'1-6'2, and anywhere from 260-280lbs. "If requested i will be more than happy to give you guys exact numbers after i get a physical sometime soon."

I will arrive on campus at Benedict August 2nd and hopefully i will also enroll in their ROTC program the same day. I look foward to the next 4 years of my life and i want to make the best out of my time in ROTC to be in a better position to 1 day have the privilege of going to RIP.

Once again, thank you all for your service.
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Matthew,

Welcome to the site. PM inbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Huh, write a freaking fraking novel next time, will ya !!!??? :shock:

If football, your coaches, and teammates where THAT important to you, why, I ask in wonder, did YOU let your grades fail ?????

Obviously, football, your coaches, and teammates where NOT that important to you.

If your in the habit of failing teammates, have fun in ROTC. Thats a very good place for ya. Don't need ya in the Ranger program, thats for sure.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Hood
US Army Reservist

Re: Introduction

Post by Hood »

I signed a contract and i have enlisted in the following unit :

414 TRANS CO (CARGO

I will be shipping for basic 19 May 2009 at Fort Benning. Next summer i will be going to AIT for 88M.

I am still in college and ROTC.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Hood wrote:I signed a contract and i have enlisted in the following unit :

414 TRANS CO (CARGO

I will be shipping for basic 19 May 2009 at Fort Benning. Next summer i will be going to AIT for 88M.

Thanks for the update. I can't help but ask....why didn't you seek out an Opt40? Were your scores too low? Thanks for enlisting, and good luck to you.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Congratulations for enlisting in the Reserves. And give ROTC and college the best you have. You need to turn your life around and you are on the right path to do it. Get the mentality that your team mates always come first. Look at the words in the Ranger Creed and judge everything you do by those words. Do that and you will reach your goals.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Hood

Post by Steadfast »

Hood wrote:I am now 6'1-6'2, and anywhere from 260-280lbs.
Isn't your weight more than allowed entry in the military for your size/ age group?

So by 19may2009 (from now), you will lose a total of 46-66lbs to meet the max. wt. requirements of the military. It's easier to gain wt. than it is to lose wt.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Post by Ranger Andy »

414 TRANS CO (CARGO

I'm confused! Do you want to be a Ranger or do you want to be truck driver and drive Rangers in your truck? The least that you can do while your at BCT is try like hell to get to Jump School. Good luck and have fun with whatever you wind up doing...
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...
Hood
US Army Reservist

Post by Hood »

I was 287 when i first enrolled in ROTC. My weight in MEPS was exactly 242.2. Since i knew what it took to get bigger for football i knew exactly what had to be done to do the reverse and get in shape to sign my contract. I would say at this moment im in between 230-240. In MEPS i still didnt make the height/weight but i got a waiver through my body fat %. My neck is big and my waist is tight so all my hardwork up to this point has definitly payed off. I appreciate all of the feedback i have been given and i will keep you guys informed of my progress.
Hood
US Army Reservist

Post by Hood »

EarthPig wrote:

414 TRANS CO (CARGO

Thanks for the update. I can't help but ask....why didn't you seek out an Opt40? Were your scores too low? Thanks for enlisting, and good luck to you.

RLTW
EP
Ranger EarthPig, Indeed i would love to be given an Opt40 but i am staying in college and ROTC. I went into MEPS seeking a "SMP" contract so that i would go to basic and be placed into a unit shadowing an officer. There was 1 requirement however that was overlooked. To get into college i didn't take any SAT/ACT. In order to be given an SMP contract there is a required score for an SAT or ACT and so i couldn't get it. I didn't want to walk out of MEPS empty handed so i decided to take an "ATP" contract. My goal is to stay in school and maintain atleast a 3.0 average so that upon commision i can seek out an active duty contract. I am also aware that i can get Airborne Qualified through ROTC so in the future after I go through AIT next year i will definitly be going for that.
Hood
US Army Reservist

Post by Hood »

I was promoted E2 in Feb within the 414th TC and was also the only first year cadet chosen to train with third years during a training exercise in Fort Jackson. I am currently back home in New York training, further preparing myself for Basic Training at Fort Benning May 19th. I am not picking up any weights, instead i am sticking to pushups, situps and runs. I am eating only small portoins of food consistently throughout the day and drinking lots of water. Im motivated, focused, and determined on getting through this first phase of my split op training.
Hood
US Army Reservist

Post by Hood »

I have just recently graduated Basic Training from Fort Benning on July 30th. I am currently in South Carolina enjoying my time off awaiting the birth of my son. BCT was everything i expected and so much more. I was placed in Delta Company 2/54 Infantry Regiment, 2nd Platoon. I was made a TL week 3. Week 5 i became a SL. My Drill Sergeant informed me that he was going to make me PG but decided that someone else who didn't have a leadership position take a shot at it. When i was in Fort Jackson at MEPS i weighed in at 254lbs right before the long drive for Fort Benning. I am currently about 225lbs.
Hood
US Army Reservist

Post by Hood »

Delta Co, 2/54, Infantry Regiment *** For some reason there was a typo
Hood
US Army Reservist

Post by Hood »

Supposed to read, D Co, 2-54 Infantry Reg.
Hood
US Army Reservist

Post by Hood »

I have been promoted to PFC. I tryed to get my AIT date pushed up but im being told its not going to happen. That being the case, i will be doing as much as i can to get my MOS changed 11B since i have to wait to go to school in June anyway.

Return to “Introduction Archive”