Here are my scores...

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
MadHatter
Embryo

Here are my scores...

Post by MadHatter »

Rangers,

I'm embarassed to list these scores but they are unfortunately correct:

Push-ups: 34
Sit-ups: 42
Pull-ups: 3
2-mile: 17:56

I just got finished with the self administered test and I'm really discouraged. I've been talking with a recruiter about 11x because I want to serve my country and get in shape (I've never really been in good shape in my life) before I'm too old but I'm really discouraged about option 40 because I'm obviously in piss poor shape. Nevertheless, I'm gonna keep workin out and I'll post my improvements. I really appreciate all the inspiration I get from you Rangers and thank you for your service to our country. I look forward to letting you know when I have beaten my scores from today. Thanks again.
Last edited by MadHatter on June 16th, 2008, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will do whatever it takes to complete the mission.
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Your run score sucks. You need to work on it.

Don't be afraid to run until you puke. It doesn't hurt... it's kind of like a little bonus ab work out. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water if you plan to put in some real work.

Keep us updated.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

You are only 27. The age cutoff for enlistment now is 42. You have a few years to go. Your scores unfortunately do suck, but you have one of two choices. You could go to basic and hope your PT improves enough to get you through RIP, or you could work out some more until you get those scores up, and then enlist.

I recommend the latter. In OSUT your PT will improve, but there is no guarantee it will be enough. If you do it before you go, six to nine months would be more than adequate provided you have a balanced work out routine and stick to it religiously. If you aren't the self motivating type, then get a personal trainer. It would be money well spent.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Unless you have some medical issures, with some serious effort on your part, you could get yourself in shape in about 90 to 120 days with a good weighlifting and running routine. Take the time and prepare yourself, then you will have no regrets later on...
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

You have been here for about a year and your running times are increasing? Please explain.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
MadHatter
Embryo

Post by MadHatter »

Ranger Jim,

I first joined this site last summer and worked out a few times but lost motivation pretty quickly. I have gone back to school, which has been a good positive change in my life, and have been working as a waiter but have not been excercising and have been smoking a pack a day. I have recently decided that I will be joining the army for sure, have quit smoking, and today I started the APFT improvement routine suggested by Ranger Silverback. I read the APFT guidlines at:

http://www.hooah4health.com/4You/FM2021-20.pdf

but didn't find anything about pull-ups. I'm guessing I should do them after sit-ups and before the run but if someone could let me know I sure would appreciate it.

I was considering the navy last month, and my recruiter had me take the asvab even though I told her I wasn't sure yet if I wanted to join. I got a 99 and they said I could have nuke or anything I wanted but I told them again that I hadn't decided for sure. I eventually did decide for sure on the army because I want to do something more physical and be a part of something I would feel more special about. I've always been book-smart, but never really been in shape and I want that before I'm too old. I don't know how to describe the feeling I have and that's why I haven't been able to explain it to my family. They think the infantry is a crazy decision but that's what I want. I did my push-ups and sit-ups this morning and it felt good even though I can't do very many yet. I'm gonna go run now. I'll let ya know. Thanks Rangers.
MadHatter
Embryo

Post by MadHatter »

17:24

Long way to go...
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

You need a TON of improvement in many areas stud.

You need to start with your sig line.
Try something, I dunno...motiviational? Forward thinking...Just a thought.

Talk about a negative self image...shit man...if you don't want to be more than you are, join the peace corps (I hear the get to smoke themselves...instead of pushups and flutter kicks, its twinkies and ding dongs.) They will let you be anything you are. It'll be fun.

I have absolutely zero time in my life for this right now...but...

If you want to be a Ranger...scratch that...If for some reason you think you MIGHT want to be a Ranger...

Task:
Shoot me a PM...

Condition:
Include in the PM: 500 words--Why you think, with your current low self image, and horrible PT scores, you want to be a Ranger...

Standard:
I don't want bla bla bla kill terrorists....bla bla bla...Rangers rule...bla bla bla..whatever....

I want to see why YOU think you want and could/should be an Airborne Ranger someday.

48 hours is your time frame.

Get this right...I'll think about helping you...

get it wrong...I'll send you a Pizza Hut Employee package...
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

PM me, because I'm to lazy to click on your name.
>.>
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
Turkey Buster
Embryo

Post by Turkey Buster »

I used to weigh 120 pounds, and could barely do 20 pushups, don't feel bad fella.

Edit: Not trying to negate anything that the Ranger above me said, about your effort and goals, I was just saying that if this is your start, it is better than what I had.

If not, back to the track.
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

MadHatter wrote:17:24

Long way to go...
you say ta-mae-toe

I say to-mat-o

That was 2 miles and not 3 right?

keep working, I'm sure you'll get there :roll:
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Turkey Buster wrote:I used to weigh 120 pounds, and could barely do 20 pushups, don't feel bad fella.

Edit: Not trying to negate anything that the Ranger above me said, about your effort and goals, I was just saying that if this is your start, it is better than what I had.

If not, back to the track.
I really don't like you or your cock-holster running so much.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Stuffed Turkey wrote:Blah....blah....blah

Stay in your lane.

As for your, MadHatter, you can kiss your shot at RIP goodbye with run scores like that. I'd try to at least get it down to 15mins before you show up to BCT. From there you'll have 15 weeks to fix your run time. In three plus months you can easily shave off a minute a month on your APFT run.

If you can maintain a seven minute mile for up to five miles, you should be fine for RIP. But for now you need to keep it going for two miles.

Your PU/SU/PU scores suck. I have no idea how you are going to fix those. Keep reading the threads on upper body conditioning.

How old are you?

Return to “About Army Physical Training”