Switch to Multicam

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
bjones1187
Embryo

Switch to Multicam

Post by bjones1187 »

I've been tracking the rumor of the eventual transition to multicam for our uniforms/equipment. This stems from discussions, manufacturer memos and word of mouth from SF buddies in various groups. In reaction to this, I've started purchasing multicam kit. Am I getting ahead of myself or is it still likely we'll see this better camo on the horizon? A little help please-I don't want to blow my cash on kit I can't use.
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

shit will be free
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Switch to Multicam

Post by Silverback »

bjones1187 wrote:I've been tracking the rumor of the eventual transition to multicam for our uniforms/equipment. This stems from discussions, manufacturer memos and word of mouth from SF buddies in various groups. In reaction to this, I've started purchasing multicam kit. Am I getting ahead of myself or is it still likely we'll see this better camo on the horizon? A little help please-I don't want to blow my cash on kit I can't use.
Nah...buy as much as you can get your hands on. :twisted:

Seriously, you've been "Tracking a rumor"? Which "Various Groups" are we talking about?

I've seen a few SF dudes (I was very far away) but they appeared to be using Army uniforms
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
bjones1187
Embryo

Memos and word of mouth

Post by bjones1187 »

I read the memo posted by Crye, and spoke with some buddies in 5th and 1st and they each said they're anticipating waiver approval by next year. If that's the case, I suspect Regiment will get standard issue not long after. Additionally, there's a report by Army Research Labs where they fielded the Crye shit versus our ACU, and hands down the soldiers preferred Crye. So between the circulating rumors, memos, reports and guys buying and using it regardless, I am hoping the Army will wise up and standardize it.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Memos and word of mouth

Post by Silverback »

bjones1187 wrote: I am hoping the Army will wise up and standardize it.
Do you think this is an immediate reality considering the recent change to ACUs? Think about it...
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
bjones1187
Embryo

I know it

Post by bjones1187 »

You're right, but so many soldiers have voiced distaste for the ACU in almost every facet that I don't see how widespread popular opinion can be silenced. What kills me though, it that they sold this shit to us like it was our selection. I fuckn' guarantee that if I had any say we wouldn't be wearing confederate starship trooper pajamas. Zippers, velcro, shitting stitching-hell for what the army is paying in lack of durablity they could shell out some dough for something that can atleast last longer than six months in country. I can't fuckin stand the ACUs and I'm so glad that the big army took the black beret just so that we can have construction boots to match (they don't). Honestly, I give a shit how stupid we look in garrison-but I promise you coyote brown, ranger-green and multicam will be the only shit I'd ever sport on kit.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: I know it

Post by Silverback »

bjones1187 wrote:You're right, but so many soldiers have voiced distaste for the ACU in almost every facet that I don't see how widespread popular opinion can be silenced. What kills me though, it that they sold this shit to us like it was our selection. I fuckn' guarantee that if I had any say we wouldn't be wearing confederate starship trooper pajamas. Zippers, velcro, shitting stitching-hell for what the army is paying in lack of durablity they could shell out some dough for something that can atleast last longer than six months in country. I can't fuckin stand the ACUs and I'm so glad that the big army took the black beret just so that we can have construction boots to match (they don't). Honestly, I give a shit how stupid we look in garrison-but I promise you coyote brown, ranger-green and multicam will be the only shit I'd ever sport on kit.
And this opinion is based on how many years of experience? I'm just saying.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
bjones1187
Embryo

Ya got me

Post by bjones1187 »

Okay, so maybe I only served for four years and left as a SSG. And maybe I only served one tour during OIF-1. Simply because I'm following procedure to obtain a commission doesn't mean I don't undertand camouflage or know what quality equipment is. When I with 1-187 Scouts we were lucky enough to have say in the kit we used. When the army said "here's your giant molle ruck abortion"- we said no thanks, we'll keep our alice. When batallion said "put your pouches on your IBA", we said-better on a rack. What I'm getting at is soldiers throughout the army are already using it on a limited basis. Check out Regiment's link through the Benning website and you'll see a Ranger sporting a MC assault pack. Soldiers are already saying "Thanks, but I prefer what works". Hopefully the army will see it is a better option.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

The Army switching to multicam has been discussed before:

viewtopic.php?t=31816&highlight=crye
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
bjones1187
Embryo

Post by bjones1187 »

So then what's the verdict. Am I wasting money getting the stuff or does it look like it'll happen?
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I always figure something is a done deal when it actually gets done, everything else is just speculation. The HK OICW looked like a done deal, but it never materialized or at least not yet.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

bjones1187 wrote:So then what's the verdict. Am I wasting money getting the stuff or does it look like it'll happen?
If I were you, I'd invest the money into your 401K plan or a good Mutual Fund.
bjones1187
Embryo

whoooaaaa

Post by bjones1187 »

Let's not get caught around the axle and make this too complex. I simply wanna know what you all think about the possibility of a change. Would you favor it? Does it make sense? Do you hate the ACUs as bad as I do? I realize all is speculation right now but maybe it's right around the corner. I guess in the mean time I'll work on building my 401K. I still fucking hate the zipper though.

Return to “Personal Gear”