Day One!

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
McD
Ranger

Day One!

Post by McD »

Could have posted this in No Shit forum but it happened in Ranger School.

In January of 1978 I was headed of to Ranger School. I had already gone through 2nd Bat’s pre-ranger course and pretty much squared away by everybody in my platoon. I was as prepared as I could be, with the words of my platoon sergeant burning in my mind, “DO NOT FUCKING LET US DOWN!â€
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I have to say I had the "first easy class". Good story!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

sobersides wrote:Good story, McD! That does sound like a hard class. I went through the worm pit in February, but it wasn't frozen for us. They stopped doing that fresh RI out the jeep thing on runs. When I was at RTB it was enforced that the RI's had to start and finish the runs with the studs.
The RI's setting the pace were in and out of the jeep. There were many RI's that ran the whole run everyday just like us, except they were circling the formations, like vultures waiting for the weak to show their face. :D
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Good story brother...Thanx. I hate RI's.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Moni D

Post by Moni D »

wow. my respect for you just went up another hundred or so notches Ranger McD...

I am freezing now just thinking of that...
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

h8train1/75 wrote:Good story brother...Thanx. I hate RI's.

I think other than me, your the only man who has said this....I hated those cock suckers....bunch of Hollywood primadona pricks who seldom did anything meaningful other than "ACT" like they were tough.

By the way, GREAT story, McD. We had ice in our pit but i was at the back and let everyone else go through and either warm it up or splash the shit out. It was like Moses and the Red Sea....(cept, I crawled across instead of run) and( I got caught "hovering" in the back....so I had to do it several times) and then got smoked for about 30 mintes after I was done.....and they took my name for doing it and REMEMBERED it everytime they wanted or needed someone to fuck with...I was the bitch boy....my Ranger Buddy sure hated me :lol:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Abell9 wrote:
h8train1/75 wrote:Good story brother...Thanx. I hate RI's.

I think other than me, your the only man who has said this....I hated those cock suckers....bunch of Hollywood primadona pricks who seldom did anything meaningful other than "ACT" like they were tough.

By the way, GREAT story, McD. We had ice in our pit but i was at the back and let everyone else go through and either warm it up or splash the shit out. It was like Moses and the Red Sea....(cept, I crawled across instead of run) and( I got caught "hovering" in the back....so I had to do it several times) and then got smoked for about 30 mintes after I was done.....and they took my name for doing it and REMEMBERED it everytime they wanted or needed someone to fuck with...I was the bitch boy....my Ranger Buddy sure hated me :lol:
Those RI's could be pricks. I prayed they wouldn't get my name in their head. Then like a dumb ass coming down the slide for life I start all this Airborne Ranger shit and it was all over. Smoked me for ever because I was yelling about being an Airborne Ranger when I wasn't yet (at least no Tab). They had my name then but only had it a little while before I left those pricks at Benning. I had this other thing :shock: that they worked me over for but that is tooooooo personal!
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

I remember being so cold after the worm pit that the fire hose they washed you off with seemed warm.

Ranger2
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

I always prayed that they would die on their way to work.

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

H8train1/75 wrote:I always prayed that they would die on their way to work.
I was just afraid that the Regiment was going to go to combat and I would be left at school. In fact the RI's told this one morning. We all could have killed them.

Ranger2
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Good thing that guy was there McD as he helped you get warm again for your yelling shit at him and having to do some pushups!
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Ranger2 wrote:
I was just afraid that the Regiment was going to go to combat and I would be left at school. In fact the RI's told this one morning. We all could have killed them.

Ranger2
:shock: :evil:

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

:lol:
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”