need to get more in shape

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
JCorio56
Embryo

need to get more in shape

Post by JCorio56 »

i'm looking for some personal advice on what to do next, i'm 18x i ship july 28th to good ol ft benning of course,i have been putting in WORK for like a month now, right now as far as pt test i can do 90 pushups, 70 situps, 2 mile 13:35, i been ruckin for the past 2 weeks also and tonight i did 3 miles in like 44 minutes, 40 pds in a "backpack" aka my ruck, i wanna kill it when i get to OSUT not because i wanna be better or stand out over anyone (which i guess i do) i just wanna make sure i make it thru everything and not slip up somewhere, i do a lot of searching on this site so hopefully i dont get bashed by a ranger, but i thought maybe you guys have an idea to prepare for the heat in GA, (its not really that hot here in san diego) or anything else that might help me prepare, thanx for the advice
Jesse
deleon275
Ranger

Re: need to get more in shape

Post by deleon275 »

JCorio56 wrote:i'm looking for some personal advice on what to do next, i'm 18x i ship july 28th to good ol ft benning of course,i have been putting in WORK for like a month now, right now as far as pt test i can do 90 pushups, 70 situps, 2 mile 13:35, i been ruckin for the past 2 weeks also and tonight i did 3 miles in like 44 minutes, 40 pds in a "backpack" aka my ruck, i wanna kill it when i get to OSUT not because i wanna be better or stand out over anyone (which i guess i do) i just wanna make sure i make it thru everything and not slip up somewhere, i do a lot of searching on this site so hopefully i dont get bashed by a ranger, but i thought maybe you guys have an idea to prepare for the heat in GA, (its not really that hot here in san diego) or anything else that might help me prepare, thanx for the advice
Jesse
Looking at your PT score you're doing pretty well. Just keep working on situps and your run. Since Jul 28 isn't that far away you can't improve tremendously, but that doesn't mean stop trying to improve. As for preparing for the heat in GA, get in the habit of drinking only water and power/gatorade. Give up soda completely! The first 3 or 4 weeks there you'll be hurting but your body will adjust to the climate. Just keep hydrated and you'll do fine.
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
JCorio56
Embryo

Post by JCorio56 »

thanx ranger deleon,
i have already given up soda (well last week i accidently drank a nestea (u know the sweetened iced tea thing) i think my body tricked me b/c i was like in a transe and drank it b4 i knew what it was. yea a month and a half isnt too long but i'm pretty sure i can improve some more, i wanna get in the 12's in the 2 mile and max 100 points in the situps (i think it's seventy eight) since i can already max on the pushups i dont really have a goal but 100 pups would be nice. i dont know if they matter a WHOLE lot but i been doing pullups, like 3 sets of 10, or a max set (right now like 14) and then another max set (which then i can only get around 8), any tips on the bet set to rep ratio for that or anything, well thanx again
Jesse
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

i do a lot of searching on this site so hopefully i dont get bashed by a ranger
:shock: :shock: :shock: Keep up the good work ! Try to improve your run time. Aim for a 11 minute time on your two miles. What kind of terrain are you running and rucking on ? Level, trails, hills, ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
JCorio56
Embryo

Post by JCorio56 »

thanx placebo (in a minute i'll read the workout like 20 times so my peebrain can try to figure it out. flesh thorn i do most of my running just around my neighborhood, flat for about a mile then up and down a couple hills ( the longest one beign like 1/2 mile down then 1/2 up) , i ruck around the same places but i also try to go into this canyon by my house but i always ruck at night and so many bushes and stuff it takes like 5 minutes it's so small, i'm kind of beign lazy on that i need to find a good place to ruck,right now my goal is in the 12's, then it will be in the 11's, baby steps for me :lol: thank you,
Jesse
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Hills are good and so is the night. Don't let a cougar eat your ass. They are attracted to weak or dieing animals... :lol: :lol: :lol:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

You might want to add some distance to your runs to build up endurance. I am 36 but I am running 25 miles a week and doing at least 5 mile runs each time. It will help in the long run and once you know you can run 5-8 miles it only get easier. You will probably never run further than 5 in basic but once at Batt you will. Running and rucking are mind fucks. You can always go further but you mind quits first. So if you have done it before then it is easier. I always know how far I am running before hand. I drive the routes first to get the distance. Twice in Batt we ran 10 miles and now every run seems easier because I know I have done it before. In fact we did a 10 miler the Monday after I graduated from Ranger school. Now that really sucked.

Ranger2
JCorio56
Embryo

Post by JCorio56 »

thanx ranger steadfast and ranger2, i went like either 5 or 6 miles a week ago, (don't know for sure just ran a good 10-12 min mile pace for an hour) which is pussy shit i know it was just my first time going real long so i took it sorta easy, hills SUCK man i hate them, but i love them while i'm running them, and after you recover from it (which is usually like 30 seconds for me, in that time period i like struggle to keep a jog) do you guys recommend running with music or not, it keeps my mind off running but sometimes i depend on it, like i have to keep a certain few songs to keep goin...kinda wierd i guess anyway thanx for all the help
Jesse
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

JCorio56 wrote:thanx ranger steadfast and ranger2, i went like either 5 or 6 miles a week ago, (don't know for sure just ran a good 10-12 min mile pace for an hour) which is pussy shit i know it was just my first time going real long so i took it sorta easy, hills SUCK man i hate them, but i love them while i'm running them, and after you recover from it (which is usually like 30 seconds for me, in that time period i like struggle to keep a jog) do you guys recommend running with music or not, it keeps my mind off running but sometimes i depend on it, like i have to keep a certain few songs to keep goin...kinda wierd i guess anyway thanx for all the help
Jesse
It was Ranger 2 & Ranger Flesh Thorn that were helping you, not I Ranger Steadfast. I just happen to be passing by. Re-read your threads please, JC.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
JCorio56
Embryo

Post by JCorio56 »

damn i'm so careless, my apologies ranger fleshthorn and ranger steadfast, i been looking at all the posts everyday for the past 3 weeks or so and i see you post a lot ranger steadfast so your name is in my head and i probably was like day dreaming or something while writing, sorry, take care
Jesse
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Ranger2 wrote:You might want to add some distance to your runs to build up endurance. I am 36 but I am running 25 miles a week and doing at least 5 mile runs each time. It will help in the long run and once you know you can run 5-8 miles it only get easier. You will probably never run further than 5 in basic but once at Batt you will. Running and rucking are mind fucks. You can always go further but you mind quits first. So if you have done it before then it is easier. I always know how far I am running before hand. I drive the routes first to get the distance. Twice in Batt we ran 10 miles and now every run seems easier because I know I have done it before. In fact we did a 10 miler the Monday after I graduated from Ranger school. Now that really sucked.

Ranger2
WTF is wrong with you Ranger? Running is GAY....that's why GRITS made RSOV's and POVs.........
JCorio56
Embryo

Post by JCorio56 »

i been rucking a lot as a i have mentioned a few times earlier and last night i had 50 pds in my backpack, that's like 10 more pounds then i ever had b4 and it's just like a jansport backpack, i only went out for like an hour and 15 mins but the whole time was a good pace up some hills but mostly flat,anyway to the real problem toward the end and today my neck hurts a little,do you think this might be due to the stupid backpack straps and i should get a ruck or just sore from beign new to the heavy weight, any advice, i suppose i could buy a ruck, but i wouldn't like to (semi money issues) thanx for the help
Phulano
Tadpole

Post by Phulano »

Talk to your recruiter about getting a ruck. I dont know how yours is, but my recruiter helps me with whatever I need to train.. information, gear, whatever.. He may be able to track one down you can use for a few weeks until you ship.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”