BDS Tactical

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
GSXRanger
Ranger

BDS Tactical

Post by GSXRanger »

Has anyone out there used the BDS Tactical Chest Rig?

I am thinking of picking one up for my up and coming fun in the sun... I like it because you can throw it over your carrier, and you can also wear it when you are not wearing your plate carrier. It seems like it has features that are usable...

What say ye all?

CLICK HERE FOR VIEW OF THE BDS CHEST RIG
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
SupplyRanger
Ranger

Post by SupplyRanger »

That looks freaking bulky and like it would get in your way. Have you checked tactical taylor to see if one of their mav's might work for what you need?
Ranger School CL# 04-05
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Well, one of my buddies at SOCCENT is hooking me up with his Wasatch rig... I'm gonna take that with me, and see how I like it. If it works out, I may buy it off him.

He has a Tactical Tailor MAV as well he said he would loan me. I am gonna take a look at both, and take what fits me the best.

Thanks for the input, I will let you know what I think of the rig.

Cheers!
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Looks about as bulky as just about anything else I've played it. Only thing that I see on it that concerns me is whether or not those fastex buckles are going to be in the way of your buttstock.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

EvilCouch wrote:Looks about as bulky as just about anything else I've played it. Only thing that I see on it that concerns me is whether or not those fastex buckles are going to be in the way of your buttstock.
Yeah, I saw that. I was wondering about the buckle placement myself. Anyway, my buddy is giving me his Wasatch rig... he wore it in both theaters and he speaks very highly of it. I will pick it up next week from him, and set it up to my liking.

Here is a link to it...

WASATCH Plate Carrier
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
RGR Bowen
Ranger

blackhawk commando recon chest harness

Post by RGR Bowen »

you might want to look at blackhawks commando recon chest harness. not to promote blackhawks stuff but i have hade mine for 2 years and use it everyday in the field as a SRT member in the border patrol. it is a plate carrier and chest rig in one set up. it has a pocket on the body side to fit a plate and has a elastic strap to fit over the top, if it doesnt fit in the top flap. we got these issued to the National SRT about a year ago. the bib folds down to make a low profile chest rig, it has a back plate carrier, it can be warn with a h harness or a x harness. i have seen guys were their rigs over a slicked out entry vest (we have the diamondback tactical predator issued to us). there is a new "enhanced version that made open top m4 mag pouches behind the molle attachment saving room for other pouches. just a thought the quality is solid, the versatility makes up for the price and its warrantied for life. even the old school guys on our team that didnt want to give up their duty belts have switched over to it. here are some links for pics.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=37CL78&C=C1643 - enhanced rig

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=37CL01&C=C1645 - original rig

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=32V3&C=C1644 - a cut away version, also shows how it holds the plate

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=37CL41&C=C1648 - the back plate carrier[/img]
Aco 2/75 RGR "BadMuther"
12/92 - 09/95
RGR Cl 4/94
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Looks to me like all the pouches on the stock rig are sewn on as well. If you are going to make a "Modular" rig make it completely modular. The days of symetical mounting of gear is over (I know that makes CSM's all AGRO).

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

WTF Darren???? $235 for a chestrig? Why not go whole hog and buy the "mookie special" from john willis for close to $600?????

Seriously bro, for just a chest rig get a Tactical Tailor or a SDS RACK. (Or any other of the normal price chest rigs...)

I have waaaaay too many chest rigs, but if I was going to start over from scratch I'd look at TT or this.....http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAct ... &ProdID=36

Jim
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all of your input on this subject. I pick up my buddies Wasatch rig tomorrow, and will give it a go and see how I like it. The issue is this, what ever I get, my job will reimburse me for it... so, I am trying to make the best decision that I can.

I have checked out the Tactical Tailor stuff Jim, and I really like it. He has a TT rig as well, that he is bringing also to let me look at... I like having the option to throw my SAPI plates in there, and use it as a low profile rig... when I don't wanna wear the full IBA crap.

Again, thanks a bunch for the advise. I take it to heart because I know you guys have used this stuff and know it's weaknesses and capabilities.

Cheers,

Darren
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

FYI.....

Talked to my buddy who makes his own gear (shortlived 2nd batt Ranger-medical)

Who is even more up on gear then me. He says stay away from BDS.....that their QC sucks...some gear is good, others rip out...fyi...
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

For this deployment, I am getting issued the IOTV/ESAPI

Never worn it before, I will let you guys know what I think of it. I will take my camera, and snap tons of pictures...

So far, the Wasatch rig I borrowed from my buddy is G2G.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

GSXRanger wrote:For this deployment, I am getting issued the IOTV/ESAPI

Never worn it before, I will let you guys know what I think of it. I will take my camera, and snap tons of pictures...

So far, the Wasatch rig I borrowed from my buddy is G2G.
Darren, in my Robin Sage pics I am wearing an Eagle PC with cumberbund.

In the front I ran a 2mag 3 pocket pouch only filled with one mag each pouch. On the sides I had 2 3 mag shingles with ute pouches on top. This way I could run 6 mags and still keep a slim profile. I could run 12 mags if I wanted and still be goood to go. I also had TT large ute pouches in the back/sides for extra stuff and a camelback on the back.

I prefer slim gear vs. big and bulky. How is that wasatch?

I tell you what, I don't envy dudes trying to shoot, move, and communicate with level 3 and plates. That shit is heavy and slows you down.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I actually like the Wasatch rig. It rides very well, and seems to fit over the armor just right. The M4 pouches are nice and trim. Oh hell, I will shoot a pic of it tomorrow.

As for the armor that we are getting issued for this mission, I have no clue. Haven't seen it yet. But, it has the new generation SAPI plates... supposedly lighter. WE shall see...
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

GSXRanger wrote:I actually like the Wasatch rig. It rides very well, and seems to fit over the armor just right. The M4 pouches are nice and trim. Oh hell, I will shoot a pic of it tomorrow.

As for the armor that we are getting issued for this mission, I have no clue. Haven't seen it yet. But, it has the new generation SAPI plates... supposedly lighter. WE shall see...
You come across any extra new sapi's I'll buy them off ya.....

Return to “Personal Gear”