Signed my Option 40 contract today

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Shallow Grave
Ranger

Signed my Option 40 contract today

Post by Shallow Grave »

I just signed my contract today. 11x Option 40 with a ship date of 20050511. Thank you to all the Rangers and other military veterans who gave me the advice necessary to get a Ranger contract. I went in to MEPS knowing exactly what I needed to ask for thanks to you. It didn't really hit me until I swore in that I am finally on my way to becoming a soldier in the United States Army. I look forward to the challenge of carrying on the illustrious tradition of an Army Ranger.
C Co. 3/75 Ranger Regiment
Nov. 2005-present
Ranger School Class 04-08

Adapt and Overcome. Don't whine, just do it. Don't complain, just do it. Don't put on a suck face and want sympathy. Man the fuck up. - Ranger Disinfertention
Vapor Brain
Tadpole

Post by Vapor Brain »

congrats. did you have to haggle with the MEPS guys or did it come fairly easy? Did you say right out you wanted to be a Ranger?
Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato
Ranger Hopps
Ranger

Post by Ranger Hopps »

Congrats man!!!!, now you will have access to Minor Mayhem. Now you are our bitch! :lol: 8) Seriously though, congrats on the contract, make good use of it.

FoodBoy
1/75 Feb. '05-Jul '08

RS class 04-07

Ranger Saltbitch wrote: "...you will face fear and pain. Do not stop, do not listen; it will only give you excuses to quit."
Shallow Grave
Ranger

Post by Shallow Grave »

Vapor Brain wrote:congrats. did you have to haggle with the MEPS guys or did it come fairly easy? Did you say right out you wanted to be a Ranger?
I got what I wanted without much problem at all. I scored a 98 on the ASVAB with a 129 GT and I think that was very helpful in being able to get what I wanted. The only problem was that they didn't have any slots set for May '05 yet when I first went. I can't ship until I graduate from college so thats why I need such a long delay. I left on Tuesday after my physical without a slot and by 10:00am Wednesday they had called back with a slot specifically for me. I told them up-front I wanted Ranger or nothing, and other than a sales pitch for 18x, they understood that I knew my shit and wasn't going to settle for anything less than 11x Option 40.
Nov. 2005-present

Adapt and Overcome. Don't whine, just do it. Don't complain, just do it. Don't put on a suck face and want sympathy. Man the fuck up. - Ranger Disinfertention
Osiris
Embryo

Post by Osiris »

congradulations
Hurler of Lightning!
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Deep End,

OUTSTANDING. I wish you nothing but success in your endeavors. 8)

BTW, What's a 'contract toady' in your subject heading?
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

congrats, Deep End.

test scores matter, big time. the other thing the Army didn't want to lose is a 15M(college junior) contract and a 16K(gollege grad) shipper. being that they could look one year out, they would find you what you wanted.

Any Rangers ever wonder why there were so many soldiers with higher education in the 75th? there's your answer. it's a hell of a bargaining tool at MEPS and ROC(where the jobs are loaded onto the systen AKA the phone call)

18X is fast becoming one of the most sought after contracts as well, easier to get than the OP40, but you still need to have some bargaining chips.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

Congrats, ya know IF I make it to batt. I could very well be a SPEC4 by the time you would get there...but that is IF I make it :wink:
Bell

Post by Bell »

Congratulations. Don't ya love it when a plan comes together?

If the other guys would listen they too could be on their way to a Ranger Battalion. Study, get high scores, don't sign anything until they hand you the Option 40. Easy.

RLTW
Bell
Shallow Grave
Ranger

Post by Shallow Grave »

Thank you Ranger Desert Sloth and Ranger Bell.

Ranger Bell, if it wasn't for you constatnly pounding home the importance of getting an Option 40, I wouldn't have had a clue about how to become an Army Ranger. Everyone else in MEPS who asked what contract I had didn't even know you could get a Ranger contract. I would have been just as clueless if it wasn't for you. Probably would have ended up trying to get OCS in the Marine Corps :roll:. Thank God you showed me the light.
Nov. 2005-present

Bell

Post by Bell »

Thanks Deep End. We'll do anything we can to get you headed in the right direction. Now it's up to you. I can't take your pain away or the misery or the frustration or the depression. It's your turn now. Keep yer head up and drive on. You'll think you're gonna die but you won't. Don't just do it, smoke it. Go farther and faster all the time. Be the best because you're never good enough.

Congratulations again. Keep us informed of your progress. Help these other DEPers and Newts out when they come in here wanting to be a Ranger. You've got experience they can use. Thanks for listening. I feel like I've done my part now. I'm grinning.

RLTW
Bell

Return to “Recruitment Process”