'Ranger' major faces jail over phony medals

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
RTO
BANNED

'Ranger' major faces jail over phony medals

Post by RTO »

The awards and badges Maj. Anthony Angelo Calderone wore turned his Class A uniform into a colorful billboard of combat heroism and professional achievement.

The Army Reserve major, who served in Iraq in 2005, wore a Silver Star, the Special Forces and Ranger tabs and other insignia.

The problem is Calderone didn’t earn any of those awards. Moreover, he used the illegitimate awards to nail down his promotion to major.

On Sept. 20, Calderone pleaded guilty in federal court to charges of lying about his awards and qualifications in order to gain a promotion. Sentencing is pending in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City. He faces a maximum sentence of five years and six months in prison and fines of up to $255,000.

The bogus awards include the Silver Star, the third-highest award for valor; the Special Forces and Ranger tabs; the Senior Parachutist Badge; the Military Freefall Parachutist Badge; the Special Operations Diver Badge; the Pathfinder Badge; the Combat Infantryman Badge; the Humanitarian Service Medal; the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal; the United Nations Medal; the Army Good Conduct Medal; and the Southwest Asia Service Medal.

Full Story Here...
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I vote the maximum penalty. A poser is a poser.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I'll put him in the Poser Trophy Wall.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

A major poser, indeed.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

:lol: :lol: :lol: What a clown.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Could someone explain the legalities discussed here. Am I to understand that a Reservist is not subject to the UCMJ ? :shock: Is the Uniform Code of Criminal Justice a typo or a code that I am just not aware of ?
He was later investigated by the Defense Criminal Investigative Service before he was turned over to federal prosecutors. The case was turned over to civilian court because Calderone is accused of committing these acts as a drilling reservist. Because he wasn’t on active duty, he wasn’t subject to the Uniform Code of Criminal Justice.

The case against Calderone was fairly complex, and because investigators didn’t discover the fraudulent actions for some time after he returned from active duty, it was referred to civilian instead of Army court, said Lund, who also is a major and the command judge advocate for 19th Special Forces Group in the Utah Army National Guard.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Could someone explain the legalities discussed here. Am I to understand that a Reservist is not subject to the UCMJ ? :shock: Is the Uniform Code of Criminal Justice a typo or a code that I am just not aware of ?
Members of the Reserve Components are only subject to the UCMJ when they are on orders for active duty. Typically, that means when they are attending Annual Training or when their unit is activated for deployment.
The UCMJ does not apply to weekend drills.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Ranger Bill wrote:
Flesh Thorn wrote:Could someone explain the legalities discussed here. Am I to understand that a Reservist is not subject to the UCMJ ? :shock: Is the Uniform Code of Criminal Justice a typo or a code that I am just not aware of ?
Members of the Reserve Components are only subject to the UCMJ when they are on orders for active duty. Typically, that means when they are attending Annual Training or when their unit is activated for deployment.
The UCMJ does not apply to weekend drills.
This is interesting, not to hijack but, how can members be serving in uniform and not be held acct under the UCMJ? THat kinda made my head spin when I read it. How do they discipline soldiers without it? Or do they?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

ProudAFDad wrote:not saying he ever earned or deserved anything, but how did he ever even make Captain if he never earned a Good Conduct medal? Did he never do anything of any worth? Hmm... posers reallllllly suck....
I made CPT and never got a Good Conduct Metal. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that upwards of 80% of all CPTs in the Army have no Good Conduct Metal.

Why, you ask? Army CPTs don't get Good Conduct Metals. Our good conduct is assumed. :lol:
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

PocketKings wrote:
ProudAFDad wrote:not saying he ever earned or deserved anything, but how did he ever even make Captain if he never earned a Good Conduct medal? Did he never do anything of any worth? Hmm... posers reallllllly suck....
I made CPT and never got a Good Conduct Metal. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that upwards of 80% of all CPTs in the Army have no Good Conduct Metal.

Why, you ask? Army CPTs don't get Good Conduct Metals. Our good conduct is assumed. :lol:

Yea...what you say is true. HOWEVER, they seem to hand MSM's out like fucking candy to Officers yet ration it like pussy from enlisted men.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Abell9 wrote:
PocketKings wrote:

Yea...what you say is true. HOWEVER, they seem to hand MSM's out like fucking candy to Officers yet ration it like pussy from enlisted men.
That's fookin' funny. Well, not funny but you know what I mean...
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Abell9 wrote:
PocketKings wrote:

That's where the phrase "Hey little girl, do you want a piece of candy?" came from! :roll:
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Officers are not eligible for award of the Good Conduct Medal. They may wear a GCM if they have prior enlisted service and were awarded the medal during that time.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Ranger Bill said it professionally. I said it as every NCO explained it to me...laughing, and rolling their eyes.

I never got a MSM. I guess I missed the candy truck with the other little girls.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03

Return to “The News Dump”