Ranger School & 18X

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
JTheInfinite
Embryo

Ranger School & 18X

Post by JTheInfinite »

Hello Rangers,

I've attempted to do some reading/research on this subject, but I fail to find any relevant information pertaining to my exact question. To make it short, how does RS fit in with SFAS...with a specific focus on an individual who attempts to get an 18X Contract?

I do differentiate between being a Scroll Bearer and Tab Wearer, and I in no way mean to demean the Ranger Lifestyle...but hypothetically, say I were to try for an 18X contract...would I be able to throw in RS to get the training? The 18X path seems pretty linear...OSUT at Benning, Airborne, SOPC, and then SFAS, but again...would it be possible to attend RIP somehow (perhaps right before SOPC or SFQC)?

If not, assuming (and it's a big assumption, but again...this is all hypothetical) that I pass SFAS...would I be able to somehow get into RIP and RS?

To me, this seems like the backward way of doing things. Most people do RIP/RS and then try to get into SF...but how about the other way around? Are most individuals who are SF also Ranger Tabbed, or is this not necessarily true?

Thanks in advance.
Persevere
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Someone else can answer your question, but I have something I want to know, please share how YOU differentiate between a scroll bearer and a tab wearer.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

You will not be able to enlist with an 18X contract and a Ranger School gaurantee. After you complete SF raining and have served for a while, you may be able to attend Ranger School and many, but not most, do. As for attending RIP and service in the Regiment, the only way to assure that opportunity is with an Option 40 contract. While it is possible to transfer into the Regiment later in your career, but there are no gaurantees. Needs of the service will dictate that.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
JTheInfinite
Embryo

Post by JTheInfinite »

Ranger madslashers1-2,

A Tab wearer is an individual who has attended and passed Ranger School, thereby permitting him the honor of wearing the Tab and being able to say that he is Ranger Qualified.

A Scroll bearer is an individual who not only has the honor of wearing the Ranger Tab, but who also has the honor of being called a Ranger that serves in one of the three Ranger Battalions within the 75th, adhering to the Ranger Creed daily through words and actions.

As some say, "The Tab is just a school, the Scroll is a way of life."
Persevere
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Kudos on the prompt reply as I am sure there were others wondering the same as I. Be advised however, there are members of this board who are both Ranger qualified and wore a scroll, as well as there are members who have done only (not to downplay either's magnatude) one or the other, that being said, your reciting of the tab being a school and the scroll being a way of life is not a way to earn any level of rapport with any of us such men, watch what you say even if your intentions are good your words can provoke bad intentions on other's behalf. Just a little advice. Good luck.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

"J"

You are on the outside looking in, remember that.

until you are on the inside looking out, I would not continue this line of discussion.

As for your question, carts before horses come to mind. 30% or less of the men who have ever attempted all you are discussing, eventually make it. What you are worrying about right now is roughly akin to worrying about what you will do with the Million dollars you think you might earn in the future. Should I buy the Porsche or Ferrari? You don't even own a Yugo yet.

Please do not reply
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

JTheInfinite wrote:Ranger madslashers1-2,

A Tab wearer is an individual who has attended and passed Ranger School, thereby permitting him the honor of wearing the Tab and being able to say that he is Ranger Qualified.

A Scroll bearer is an individual who not only has the honor of wearing the Ranger Tab, but who also has the honor of being called a Ranger that serves in one of the three Ranger Battalions within the 75th, adhering to the Ranger Creed daily through words and actions.

As some say, "The Tab is just a school, the Scroll is a way of life."
Your cutting and pasting skills need some work. A Scroll bearer may not have attended RS. They have, however, served in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Other than that, you have got it right.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”