Anxiety medication

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Dreadnought
Ranger

Anxiety medication

Post by Dreadnought »

I did a search and I couldn't find anything to really help me, so hopefully this thread is warranted.

I've been having chest pains for the past 5 days or so, and I finally went to the doctor today in order to get it checked out, because I was awoken many times during the night because of intense headaches and upper chest pain, as if my heart were straining.

Upon initial entry into the doctors office, my BP in my right arm was 150, though I don't remember what the lower number was. The third time they took my BP, it was 140/98. I am 17 years old, and am athletic. I just got back from getting an EKG, the results of which are being sent to a cardiologist and my regular doctor for analysis.

My doctor prescribed a light anxiety medication just to see if it helps and if it does, it would rule anxiety as the chief problem. My mom however said that once she fills the prescription, it "goes on my record." Is having a history of anxiety medication cause for a DQ or would I need a waiver or anything? If I know this, I can know whether or not to go ahead and get the prescription filled or wait awhile.

Thank you Rangers and others for your help!
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

This is too fucking funny.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Kilted Heathen wrote:This is too fucking funny.
Nothing funny about a anxiety attack if your having one.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that does go on your record because that shit is all in your head.

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Don't take the meds.

Just rub one out a few times, or buy a bong and some golden seal.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

Anxiety attack, in your sleep.

These are not caused by dreams. Your doc is checking your heart to rule out sleep apnea (not breathing at night - fat and drunk usual cause). But most people with this particular problem have an irrational fear of dying (see Rgrjoe 175's comment ) in their sleep.

Did your parents burn a school janitor to death when you were still an infant?
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

RangerX wrote:Don't take the meds.

Just rub one out a few times, or buy a bong and some golden seal.
Some of the BEST medical advice you will ever get, for this (or many other) ailments! :lol:
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

Roger that, Ranger RangerX, bong and self-gratification en route.
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Anti-anxiety and ADD/ADHD meds used to be automatic disqualification from military service, much less anything requiring a clearance. Many kids and teens now are medicated for parental convenience, rather than a true need. (I'm not saying that's your situation - I'm saying it's a fact.)

My advice - what can be so totally wrong in a 17 year old's life that you need xanax for? My biggest worry at 17 was could I find a 21 year old to buy a 6 pack, and was I actually going to get my date into the back seat without a struggle. Don't take the meds unless you feel that your cheese is slipping off the cracker.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

42L5V wrote:Anti-anxiety and ADD/ADHD meds used to be automatic disqualification from military service, much less anything requiring a clearance. Many kids and teens now are medicated for parental convenience, rather than a true need. (I'm not saying that's your situation - I'm saying it's a fact.)

My advice - what can be so totally wrong in a 17 year old's life that you need xanax for? My biggest worry at 17 was could I find a 21 year old to buy a 6 pack, and was I actually going to get my date into the back seat without a struggle. Don't take the meds unless you feel that your cheese is slipping off the cracker.
Now THAT is funny right there......BAWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAH

Kid, eat the pill....don't eat the pill.... 42L5V is right...WTF could you possibly have to be anxious about.......shit kid, it's called life...if mommy and daddy didn't tell you that life has stress...then you are a coddled little prissy boy...and that is OK....just don't join the army....go be an accountant, or a land maintenance technician or some shit...I think we still need accountants, right?
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

Roger and thank you, Rangers Oto-Man and 42L5V.

I never actually thought it was stress, my doctor and parents just thought that it was the problem. I'm not really under any stress at all lately, and I've been much more stressed in the past before national competitions and whatnot, and I never had any problems. I'm guessing I have a funky cold or overuse injury, so I'm going to take it easy for about a week. Gotta rest on the running for shin splints anyway, and I injured a wrist while doing dumbbell pushups with weights on my back a few weeks ago.

I think this might just be God's way of saying Slow the F Down!

Thank you Rangers, I'm not going to take any hoofy-poofy medication that would screw me over, just to solve a "what-if" question.
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Dreadnought wrote:Roger and thank you, Rangers Oto-Man and 42L5V.

I never actually thought it was stress, my doctor and parents just thought that it was the problem. I'm not really under any stress at all lately, and I've been much more stressed in the past before national competitions and whatnot, and I never had any problems. I'm guessing I have a funky cold or overuse injury, so I'm going to take it easy for about a week. Gotta rest on the running for shin splints anyway, and I injured a wrist while doing dumbbell pushups with weights on my back a few weeks ago.

I think this might just be God's way of saying Slow the F Down!

Thank you Rangers, I'm not going to take any hoofy-poofy medication that would screw me over, just to solve a "what-if" question.

Oh for fucks' sake shut the fuck up.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Oto-Man wrote:.go be an accountant, or a land maintenance technician or some shit...I think we still need accountants, right?
You advice sucks, I would not advise the accounting route unless you do it for the government.

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81

Return to “Medical Issues”