Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Thinman
Egg

Introduction

Post by Thinman »

Rangers,

My name is Todd. I am 23 years old, and currently live in Ontario, Canada. I’m a dual citizen of Canada and the United States. I was born in Canada, and spent my formative years(age 3-17) growing up in the US(California, Iowa, Connecticut), before moving back with my family, and subsequently attending college in Ontario. I studied both traditional and digital animation for 3 years, before leaving to pursue becoming an illustrator on my own. My one and only real talent so far in life has been the ability to put pencil to paper.

I primarily sought out ArmyRanger.com in the search for any and all advice I could find on bettering my physical fitness. I’m currently 6’2, and around 135 pounds soaking wet. I’ve been tall, and underweight my entire life, and to be honest, never what I would call physically fit. I have lurked around the site for the better part of this year almost everyday searching for tips, and trying to garner as much relatable information from other posters experiences. I’ve peeked over the fence so often, I feel the only decent thing left to do is knock on the front door and introduce myself.

For the past 5 to 6 months, I have been trying to get into the best possible shape, as I’m hoping to join the Canadian Forces this coming January or February. I try to workout almost everyday with the expressed goal of being fully confident that my physical abilities will meet the Army’s standards, and hopefully beyond, when I walk into the recruiter’s office. I have no intention of wasting the Army’s time, nor my own by not being as prepared as possible, and letting my lack of physicality become a detriment to my training, or anyone else’s. I am aiming towards joining the infantry, but as I have yet to sufficiently research all the positions available through the Army, it would be premature to say that the infantry would be my one and only choice.

I have decided to join the military to better my discipline, work ethic, and self-confidence. I feel I lack the inner drive to truly go after the dreams and goals that I have set for myself. In the past couple years, I have met many older artists who are just as talented if not more so than myself, but have done little with it because they wait around for someone to come to them with a golden ticket, instead of actively pursuing the career they want. I believe the time I will spend in the military will be beneficial in setting me on the right path to avoiding this mistake.

My PT Scores:

Push Ups – 40(Max), this is 20 more than when I started, and I’m hoping to add another 15 - 20 to this number before I ship out.

Sit Ups – 41(1 Min.)

Run (2.4 km) – 12:40, which is a failing time for even enlisting. As I understand it, a step test is given to evaluate aerobic fitness which requires a standard comparable to 11:56 as the maximum for a 2.4 km run. At my best pace, I run a shade over a 5 minute km. My goal is to get that down to 4:15 or better if possible before I ship out. Running right now is my weakest area, but the progress seems to come quicker in my running then any other exercise. To give you some perspective, I could not even jog 50 or so yards without having to stop and walk when I started out. I believe I have left myself enough preparation time to achieve this goal with continued hard work.

My average workout does not follow a certain number of sets or a schedule per say, but rather a goal number I accomplish by the end of the workout. I try to workout about an hour or so a day, but on the days I go running or get lazy, I only do the push-ups sporadically throughout the day. My numbers as of this week:

PU - 150
SU - 150
Crunches – 100
Deep Knee Bends – 50
Flutter Kicks – 50
Leg Spreaders – 100
Swimmer Exercise - 50
Little Arm Circles – 2:25 is my best time.

I try to run on a well maintained trail that runs behind my house about twice a week.

I’m sorry if this post ended up rather long, but as Ranger Jim has informed many of, you have but one opportunity to make a good first impression, so I tried to include as much relevant information about myself as possible. With that in mind, as someone who is not in the military, has lousy PT scores, and has never had to sacrifice anything of true meaning, I feel as though I do not have much to offer this community. So please do not think me ill willed towards anyone here, or the community in general, if I do not post much beyond this introduction. It will probably be for the best anyhow, as my Dad taught me you learn more when you listen, then you ever will talking. And I’ve still got quite a lot to learn.

On a final note, I want to express my gratitude to those past, present, and especially fallen Rangers and veterans, who have served to protect your country, and for a very long time, myself and my family. Thank you. Thank you also for providing me with not only information, but the higher standard to which I will aspire to.

Best to all.
-Todd
It’s the unconquerable soul of the man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory.- George S. Patton
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Up yours.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Kilted Heathen wrote:Up yours.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the site. Thanks for your interest in improving yourself physically and serving your country.

Nice intro kid! :D 8)
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Welcome..........
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Only because my dad and uncle served in Canada's armed forces during WWII before the U.S. was involved, am I taking an interest in you post nd serving as an interpreter for Ranger Kilted Heathen. So I will translate his message for you...

You ssem to be smart enough, but you are weak string bean and need to build some muscle mass. Forget your current exercise routine. Focus on a full body weight-lifting program of compound exercises three times a week. Increase your calorie intake to more than 3,000 per day and include at least 200 grams of protein.

That is my advice, but we do have some Rangers here who are serious weight lifters and college educated exercise freaks. Follow the site rules and maybe they will offer more informed advice.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Ranger Bill wrote:Only because my dad and uncle served in Canada's armed forces during WWII before the U.S. was involved, am I taking an interest in you post nd serving as an interpreter for Ranger Kilted Heathen. So I will translate his message for you...

You ssem to be smart enough, but you are weak string bean and need to build some muscle mass. Forget your current exercise routine. Focus on a full body weight-lifting program of compound exercises three times a week. Increase your calorie intake to more than 3,000 per day and include at least 200 grams of protein.

That is my advice, but we do have some Rangers here who are serious weight lifters and college educated exercise freaks. Follow the site rules and maybe they will offer more informed advice.
Er...yeah.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I see the Kilted one has changed his greeting.

Kid, you get any thinner you're gonna fall through your ass and hang yourself.

someone give the poor lad a sandwich and keg of Guinness.

I haven't seen 135 since I was fucking eleven.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Thinman
Egg

Post by Thinman »

Ranger Bill wrote:Only because my dad and uncle served in Canada's armed forces during WWII before the U.S. was involved, am I taking an interest in you post nd serving as an interpreter for Ranger Kilted Heathen. So I will translate his message for you...

Ranger Bill, thank you for taking the time to give me your advice, and setting me on the right path. I will adjust my priorities to make weight-lifting the main focus with my future workout regimen. As well as upping my calorie intake.
It’s the unconquerable soul of the man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory.- George S. Patton
Thinman
Egg

Post by Thinman »

Tenn-RGR wrote:Stop worrying about little arm circles.
Will do Ranger Tenn-RGR.
Tenn-RGR wrote:If those are indeed your numbers of repititions per week, then you need to multiply your current repititions by 14-15 then you have a nice start.
Negative, Ranger Tenn-RGR, those numbers are for each daily workout. Not that that really makes them any less pathetic with them being so low.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Welcome. Not a bad intro.

What worries me is 6' 2'' and 135 lbs makes you like a scare crow so maybe you should try MI instead of infantry. That's just a thought. One thin is for sure and that is that you are eloquent and should never forget that support of the GWOT is not just fighting but also writing. In the end it's what people read that counts. Or at least so it seems.

Good luck.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Re: ,

Post by Chiron »

Chiron wrote:Welcome. Not a bad intro.

What worries me is 6' 2'' and 135 lbs makes you like a scarecrow so maybe you should try MI instead of infantry. That's just a thought. One thin is for sure and that is that you are eloquent and should never forget that support of the GWOT is not just fighting but also writing. In the end it's what people read that counts. Or at least so it seems.

Good luck.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Todd. Your introduction indicates that you have a great deal of work to do. There is a long history of Americans and Canadians crossing the border to fight for their adopted country. During my Viet-Nam experience I had the honor to serve with a number of very fine men born in Canada. You mentioned your intention to serve, but I did not notice where. Actually, it doesn't matter; both countries have troops in harms way. Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome and good luck.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"