How does one end up as a cook, parachute rigger, and etc?

Basic & AIT
Mel

How does one end up as a cook, parachute rigger, and etc?

Post by Mel »

Rangers,

This thread isn't meant to be negative or deragotory. I have much respect for anyone that is or has or will be serving in the armed forces. As many other "wannabes" here, our main goal is Ranger or Ranger Qualified.

Anyways, like a motor, I know everything is important to make the whole thing work. Without the cooks, parachute riggers, admin work, mechanics the army won't function very well...but my question is, do you really have a choice?

I plan on signing an 11B contract, but what's to prevent them from handing out certain jobs regardless of MOS? Does this happen randomly? Or is it for the infantry personel that are less fit? What determines where or what postion do you end up in?

Thank you Rangers. Again, no offense to those that do these jobs I just listed...its just not what I have in mind when I sign an 11B contract.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I have met MANY riggers with a Ranger Tab on their shoulder... Master HALO wings on their chests... Master Blaster wings, etc.

I have even met a few cooks that earned the Ranger tab.

I am not getting your question?
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mel

Post by Mel »

GSXRanger, That's good to hear! I was under the assumption that soldiers working in the kitchen or packing chutes would remain there with no futher chance of going to Ranger School, SFAS or Jump School. Good to know everyone has a shot at it.

I was reading that 1 in 12 soldiers will be assigned to a combat position, while the remaining 11 will be in support roles. Is this for those with 11b contracts or are they talking about the whole army in general (including all the different MOS)?
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

You have two seconds to unfuck yourself. Go back and read the post it's and stickies before you type another damn word. Learn how to address people on here, some are not as nice as me. In fact, some will crawl through your monitor and donkey punch your ass so fast, your driver's license will get a black eye.

Now...

It's like this... each MOS has a "window" to break into it. They are based on your test scores on the ASVAB. There is a thing called a "GT" Score... or General Technical. The higher this score is, the more jobs open up, and the more specialized they become.

Not everyone can be a "door kicker" and not every "door kicker" is a Special Skill set. Please, do not take that statement as me downing anything.

To be accepted into the Spec Ops community, you have to score above a certain percentage out of the gate. Then, once you make the qualifications, it is up to you to perform.

Some people choose to take a career path. When I joined up, many moons ago... I chose the Intelligence field. I went into the Army to do a specialized job... and it has been a very rewarding career for me.

Set your sights on what you want... and do not take no for an answer. Also, never EVER talk about "soft skilled" MOS's like they are rejects. I will kick you squarely in the nuts if you do.

Every one of us are spokes on a wheel. I could not do my job without supply people, cooks, riggers, truck drivers, whatever... and the door kickers rely on the same support.

Not everyone can be Rambo... some have to be Rambo's make up artist, hair stylist and so forth... get my drift?
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mel

Post by Mel »

Understood Ranger GSXRanger. My apologies for not properly addressing you.

Thank you for clearing up the confusion. Again, it wasn't meant to be a negative statement. I just was confused as to how the Military determines what your assigment would be. I for one want an 11B contract with option 04 (airborne). I figured after Jumpschool (thats assuming I make it that far) that I would be assigned with the 82nd (if I was lucky), but ofcourse, anything can happen.

If I do end up with a non-combat role for the 82nd, I was wondering whether I would still be able to pursue Ranger School, Air Assault or any other skills that would further benefit me or would they just reserve those spots for combat personel.

Once again, my apologies Ranger GSXRanger. 50 PU comin' right up.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Mel wrote:Understood Ranger GSXRanger. My apologies for not properly addressing you.

Thank you for clearing up the confusion. Again, it wasn't meant to be a negative statement. I just was confused as to how the Military determines what your assigment would be. I for one want an 11B contract with option 04 (airborne). I figured after Jumpschool (thats assuming I make it that far) that I would be assigned with the 82nd (if I was lucky), but ofcourse, anything can happen.

If I do end up with a non-combat role for the 82nd, I was wondering whether I would still be able to pursue Ranger School, Air Assault or any other skills that would further benefit me or would they just reserve those spots for combat personel.

Once again, my apologies Ranger GSXRanger. 50 PU comin' right up.
Ok, listen. The proper response would be "Roger that!!!" and Move the FUCK OUT!

Don't sit there and type on and on about apologies and shit. No one cares. Roger that, drive the fuck on.

Now, make up your mind what you want, take the ASVAB and score as high as you can on it... do your VERY best. Then, secure an 11B with Option 40 contract if you want to go to Ranger Rgt... or get what ever MOS you are looking for and qualify for.

The Army, to my knowledge does not "assign" you an MOS. You qualify for one, and then you choose one that you are qualified for. I am not a recruiter, so I am just going by what I have learned over the years.

Also, get that "If I make it that far" attitude out of your fucking brain right now. If you think like that, you will NEVER make it. There is one thing that separates HEROES from ZEROS. That is ATTITUDE. With the proper attitude, you can accomplish anything. Your attitude sucks.

I suggest you reassess yourself, your capabilities, and get your head straight before you go any further. You either WANT it, or you do not. No in betweens.

I applaud you for your desire to serve this Country, and no matter what capacity you finally choose, or what chooses you... the same shit applies. Attitude.

Now move the fuck out.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mel

Post by Mel »

Roger that, Ranger GSXRanger. Thank you.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Bottom line up front: The recruiter will try to sell you on whatever job is at a shortage. The good news is that the Infantry is always looking.

All men have calling in there life. Some of those men get called to do a job that a woman can do. Yes it is honorable and yes there are "opportunities" outside the Infantry, but the plain fact of the matter is that being Infantry is something more it's.....Manly.

Support personnel are necessary (although bothersome).

Think of this way, When is that last time a chick said "Oh my, you're a Mail clerk? That makes me so hot."

GSXR, nice try brother but you are far from being "Support".
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

I believe what the young knucklehead is really wondering here is this,

Is there a chance that though I requested/enlisted 11B will I wind up in another type of job such as a cook or clerk or something once I get in?

Son, you have been watching too many WWII movies. Those things don't happen anymore, unless of course you are a complete idiot and screw up Infantry Basic in which case the Army can rebranch you into any job it feels fit (something they love to call, 'The Needs Of The Service')!

So the short answer to your anxiety ridden question is No. You sign up for 11B, you ship as 11B, you train as 11B and you will be assigned as an 11B! (Until you realize that you really screwed up, that being an 11B is way to miserable, hard and dangerous and wish that you had been a cook or clerk or somesuch and start thinking about getting out!!) :twisted:

Good Luck numbskull!
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
Mel

Post by Mel »

Thank you Rangers! All clear now.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good. Now that you understand, the thread is locked.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “About OSUT”