RIP the easy way

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Ranger68
Ranger

RIP the easy way

Post by Ranger68 »

Hi all,

This is my first post other then an intro. I have been reading through some of the RIP posts and remembered a story from back in 1st Batt. This happened in 87 when I was still a cherry.

One day a new "ranger" reports into Batt. The guy had been in ROTC and had completed OSUT while assigned to an NG unit. Anyhow he had left school and decided to go enlisted. He was never very clear on how it happened, he always insisted that it was the recruiter who had "screwed" him, but whatever. Somehow he had managed to get assigned directly to the Battalion, without having gone to Jump school or RIP. Again this was a weird thing and no one (at least no one I knew) had ever heard of it happening.

Now this would have been bad enough, but some sick fuck in the S1 Shop must have decided it would be pretty funny to send this guy over to Bravo and assign him to Third Platoon. You can imagine what happened, all the cherries in third were greatly relieved (I was a jealous cherry in Second Platoon).

He ended up staying in Third Platoon for over a month, getting smoked like nothing I had seen or have seen since. I remember looking out my window one Sunday morning and seeing him and his team leader coming in from a run, he was carring a curl bar with about 30 lbs on his shoulders. He must have conducted about 1000 assualts on third platoons trash can. It never stopped for the guy. I think the Spec 4's were running out of ways to torture him. At first even us cherries were fucking with him, but after a couple weeks even those of us on the bottom of the food chain began to feel pity for the poor guy. It was unreal the amount of hurt this guy was subjected to. But he never quit. He was given every opportunity but he sucked it up and drove on.

Anyhow he finally got Jump School and RIP orders and departed. When he got back and we asked him about RIP he said it was like being on vacation.
B co 1/75th 86-89
RS 2-88
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Wow, that's a pretty good one. Never heard that one before.

Ever hear the story about this guy in RIP who was only able to do the required number of pullups AFTER an MP pulled a gun on him? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Re: RIP the easy way

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Ranger68 wrote: When he got back and we asked him about RIP he said it was like being on vacation.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That is too funny. Good on him for not quitting.

In the old days, every now and then a guy would show up at RIP on Hunter without having been to jump school. They usually got orders real quick for the school.

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

I love the story, but how do you get orders to Regt. without going through RIP? My dumb ass was under the impression that those orders don't go through "Regular Army Channels", but actually, and only, ORIGINATE at Regiment? :shock: ? In other words, if you want to go to Ranger Batt., you can get orders to RIP, ROP, etc... Someone enlighten me...this one is fucking with my head :!:

The main reason I'm asking is .......

Fookin' WOW!!!! From the Street to Batt. with just OSUT under your belt???Ouch!!!
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Ranger68
Ranger

Post by Ranger68 »

Oto-Man wrote:I love the story, but how do you get orders to Regt. without going through RIP? My dumb ass was under the impression that those orders don't go through "Regular Army Channels", but actually, and only, ORIGINATE at Regiment? :shock: ? In other words, if you want to go to Ranger Batt., you can get orders to RIP, ROP, etc... Someone enlighten me...this one is fucking with my head :!:

The main reason I'm asking is .......

Fookin' WOW!!!! From the Street to Batt. with just OSUT under your belt???Ouch!!!
I have no idea how it happened. He became buddies with a friend of mine in Third Platoon after he finished RIP. When we asked him about it he said that it was his recruiter who had arranged everything. He told us that he had told his recruiter that he would need airborne but the recruiter kept insisting that since he had finished OSUT, been in the ROTC and a NG/Reserve unit all he had to do was report and Batt and he would be sent from there. Like I said, no one had ever heard of it happening before. The big thing I always wanted to know was who sent him over to Bravo after he reported in the Batt, that guy might have some karma issues later on :D
B co 1/75th 86-89
RS 2-88
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

I saw the title in the subject line....I thought this was about the correspondence course :?
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
BIG MARE
Ranger

Re: RIP the easy way

Post by BIG MARE »

I saw it happen to an import from Korea. PCS from Korea, sometimes errors occur with pinpoint orders to one of the BNs, like neglicting to add airborne school enroute with RIP as a leg. While I was going to RIP one of my fire team members from the 8th Army Honor Guard Company ended up inprocessing Ft. Benning after reporting to Regiment for the same RIP class I was in, moved into RIP hold barracks, graduated RIP the following class after mine and then got a slot for airborne school with a prior service national guard soldier that was in the same boat, BN pin point orders, RIP class, but no airborne school date.

Atleast my buddy from Korea had Air Assault before he left Korea so no one noticed from a distance his missing jump wings when he walked around the BN before he left for jump school.
B CO FIST 3RGR75 2002- 2003 OIF 1 & 2
HHC FSE 3RGR75 2003-2004 OEF 3
CPT (RET.), 35D and 35E, Missouri Army National Guard 2008-2020
USARA Life #56817836

Return to “About RASP”