Mental Health and the 75th Ranger Regiment

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Feuerfaust
Embryo

Mental Health and the 75th Ranger Regiment

Post by Feuerfaust »

Will prior depression and proceeding medication during sophomore and partial junior year of High School be a problem with enlisting in the Army with an Opt 40 contract? Even if I'm off the medication at the time of enlistment? How will recruiters and possible commanders, team/squad leaders, etc. view this? As a liability?

I would be thankful for any accurate and relevant answers that anyone "in the know" might provide.
FairLadyZ-CA

Re: Mental Health and the 75th Ranger Regiment

Post by FairLadyZ-CA »

Feuerfaust wrote:Will prior depression and proceeding medication during sophomore and partial junior year of High School be a problem with enlisting in the Army with an Opt 40 contract? Even if I'm off the medication at the time of enlistment? How will recruiters and possible commanders, team/squad leaders, etc. view this? As a liability?

I would be thankful for any accurate and relevant answers that anyone "in the know" might provide.
At one point or another, everyone gets depressed. I've had buddies with problems throughout their lives and were fine in the Army. However, how severe were your cases? Are you going through any sort of psychiatric treatment now - evaluation of some sort?

I think that you should do that PRIOR to enlisting because something along the way MAY trigger you into a state of depression. Ethically, you should notify your recruiter of any and all comments and concerns you have, to include your mental and medical background. That way, he will assest the best avenue of approach.

Good Luck Troop!
Vapor Brain
Tadpole

Post by Vapor Brain »

Fair lady is right, lots of people go through periods of a few months where they are on medication for depression. unless your depression is really bad you wont(and obviously) havent stayed on the drugs for very long. I would not worry about it.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato
Feuerfaust
Embryo

Post by Feuerfaust »

Thanks for the replies. I will be sure to get a thorough evaluation before enlistment to ensure that I'm fit for military duty.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

you have to have been off the medication for at least one year before you are eligible to join the military.

talk to a recruiter about your situation. do what he tells you to do.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I will leave this one alone. Where did I put my pills? :lol: :lol: :lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

LOL!!!!
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Vapor Brain wrote:Fair lady is right, lots of people go through periods of a few months where they are on medication for depression. unless your depression is really bad you wont(and obviously) havent stayed on the drugs for very long. I would not worry about it.
Are you speaking from a qualified medical background Vapro Brain?Perhaps Faglady is speaking from experience, are you?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Vapor Brain
Tadpole

Post by Vapor Brain »

Ranger Steadfast, I am speaking from my personal experience with friends, family members, and what I have been told by my psychiatrist.
Only the dead have seen the end of war. - Plato
Shallow Grave
Ranger

Post by Shallow Grave »

Vapor Brain, Newts and DEP's do not ever give out advice on this site! Follow the rules or we'll all get smoked.
C Co. 3/75 Ranger Regiment
Nov. 2005-present
Ranger School Class 04-08

Adapt and Overcome. Don't whine, just do it. Don't complain, just do it. Don't put on a suck face and want sympathy. Man the fuck up. - Ranger Disinfertention
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Faglady wrote:Are you speaking from a qualified medical background Vapro Brain?Perhaps Faglady is speaking from experience, are you?
Faglady wrote:Faglady, Ranger Steadfast? I've been rendereding you respect - why the name calling? :x
I would think that Ranger Desert Sloth answering the newts FF question if surfice to say without you adding and going above his head with not even your own experience but that of friends of yours. The newt FF might have a minor problem and really not need mention it to anyone. You may in effect be preventing this youngman from realizing his life's dream. And talking to the newt as if Ranger Desert Sloth don't exist. I find this very offensive. This is afterall a Ranger site and not a carsite. We have our own medics here on this site without you dispensing medical advice on joining the 75th Ranger Regiment. I don't see in your signature where you served in the Ranger Regiment or went through Ranger School.

I have called you Faglady to get your attention. I see you don't like it. It seems that I am not the 1st to call you this. Since it is not your name and only a car I am not worried about it. There is a PREVIEW & SUBMIT buttons for each post. Use it and stop your simple typo's.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
FairLadyZ-CA

Post by FairLadyZ-CA »

[/quote]
I would think that Ranger Desert Sloth answering the newts FF question if surfice to say without you adding and going above his head with not even your own experience but that of friends of yours. The newt FF might have a minor problem and really not need mention it to anyone. You may in effect be preventing this youngman from realizing his life's dream. And talking to the newt as if Ranger Desert Sloth don't exist. I find this very offensive. This is afterall a Ranger site and not a carsite. We have our own medics here on this site without you dispensing medical advice on joining the 75th Ranger Regiment. I don't see in your signature where you served in the Ranger Regiment or went through Ranger School.

I have called you Faglady to get your attention. I see you don't like it. It seems that I am not the 1st to call you this. Since it is not your name and only a car I am not worried about it. There is a PREVIEW & SUBMIT buttons for each post. Use it and stop your simple typo's.[/quote]

Ranger Desert Sloth: I didn't mean to talk over your comments. If in any way I have overstated your comments, I apologize. I didn't mean to be offensive, just trying to help the young troop.

Ranger Steadfast: My apologies. Squaring myself out.
Feuerfaust
Embryo

Post by Feuerfaust »

FairLadyZ-CA wrote:Just trying to help the young troop.
I haven't earned that title yet. :?

Return to “Recruitment Process”