Check it out RIP!

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

I searched the site and couldn't find an answer to my question.

Where do you go after you've been kicked/leave a Ranger Batt? Does is depend on how you leave the Batt?
Thanks for the Help Rangers!!

~Joseph
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

JosephPDW wrote:I searched the site and couldn't find an answer to my question.

Where do you go after you've been kicked/leave a Ranger Batt? Does is depend on how you leave the Batt?

~Joseph
Needs of the Army. When I was in 2nd Bat most went right across the street to some INF Brigade. Sometimes guys were shipped to Fort Bragg. It's all basically needs of the Army. I hate hearing those four words.
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

~Joseph
Yes, it depends on how you leave battalion. RFS=needs of the Army; serving your contract honorably=usually choice of assignment. However, it's best not to leave; even if you have to stick it through a shitty COC. Hold on to that Scroll until they hold you down and pull it off your shoulder. If you want to move on and do something else, at least give 4 years and pay the Regiment back for the time and effort invested into your training. Of course, this is the humble, but biased opinion of someone who had the luck to serve from E1 to E7 in the same beloved Battalion.
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

C Co, 1/75; 92-00...HHC, 1/75; 00-02
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Thanks for the help Ranger Smiddy and Ranger Deleon275. Its much appreciated.

~Joseph
Ando

Rangers

Post by Ando »

I find it interesting that there IS such a high turnover. The life of a Royal Marine Commando is virtually the same as a Ranger, the job is the same, and the esprit de corp is the same, and most guys serve their entire career as a Commando, with at least 4 to 8 of those in a combat Commando Unit. The later years depend on the calibre of soldier, and most of the good ones go into recce or one of the more covert branches. Either that, or they opt for the SF route and "disappear"...heh

Is it something that the US Army encourages?
rangerrich
Ranger

Needs of the Army

Post by rangerrich »

Needs of the army, you got that right. I reenlisted in 93, and at that time PDA wasn't an option, and I wasn't ready to get out. I served my full tour in Batt and reenlisted for Hawaii. And then i read stories about Rangers doing 8 or ten years in batt , guess I reenlisted at the wrong time or should of held out till last minute.
c 1/75 1st platoon Nov.89-Jun 93
Bell

Re: Rangers

Post by Bell »

Ando wrote:I find it interesting that there IS such a high turnover. The life of a Royal Marine Commando is virtually the same as a Ranger, the job is the same, and the esprit de corp is the same, and most guys serve their entire career as a Commando, with at least 4 to 8 of those in a combat Commando Unit. The later years depend on the calibre of soldier, and most of the good ones go into recce or one of the more covert branches. Either that, or they opt for the SF route and "disappear"...heh

Is it something that the US Army encourages?
Ando, I have to disagree with your statement about the RMC being virtually the same as a Ranger.

The Ranger Battalion is tough. I mean tough. Imagine all the training you went through to be in the military then multiply it by 100 and do it every day all day long. 24 hour days in the military. I got to battalion and left within the week for a desert deployment. I was never home more than a week after that. It will wear most of the guys out. Injuries is a large part of the turnover at the Battalions.

RLTW
Bell
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

I spent two years in the Regt. almost to the day...got a DUI and drunk and disoderly in the space of a couple of weeks. Off to the 197th Infantry Brigade.

We called HHC, 197th the Ranger Retirement home since there were so many that got sent there....some against their will because they fucked up like me, some because they got hurt, some because they quit (terminators.) Two fellow 96B's that worked with me at Regt S-2 ended up with me in S-2, 197th after they got hurt on jumps.

I never realized how different life in the Regt. was until I went to the 197th..night and freaking day. No discipline, no respect for rank, no motivation, completely mindblowing. The only good thing about the 197th was that I got to drive an APC.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Ranger IntelToad: Were you dumped into the 197th prior to their deployment to NTC in August 1987? I went to NTC with the 197th on TDY with another guy from my platoon at Ft. Bragg with a AN/TPS-58B ground surveillance radar system in Aug. 1987. We were gone from Bragg for about 6 weeks or so, but only at NTC for about 3 weeks.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Smiddy wrote:

~Joseph
Yes, it depends on how you leave battalion. RFS=needs of the Army; serving your contract honorably=usually choice of assignment. However, it's best not to leave; even if you have to stick it through a shitty COC. Hold on to that Scroll until they hold you down and pull it off your shoulder. If you want to move on and do something else, at least give 4 years and pay the Regiment back for the time and effort invested into your training. Of course, this is the humble, but biased opinion of someone who had the luck to serve from E1 to E7 in the same beloved Battalion.

Listen to the man, boys. He knows what he is talking about. I wish I had heard those words of advise about ten years ago. I chose to leave when I did, largely because of what I viewed as a poor COC at the time and not seeing any relief in sight, and have regretted it ever since.

I would not have met my wife, or have my children today if I had stayed, and that is the only thing that I gained by hanging up my boots. Everything else was a loss - TRUE friends, a healthy lifestyle, a fullfilling career, and a more enjoyable life in general.

My wife and kids are the only thing that keeps me from living a life of regret from leaving the service. If you ever have a choice, choose to stay - even through the shitty times.

If it were possible to go back ten years, and make the choice again, fully knowing what lay ahead for me either way, it scares me becuase many times I'm not sure I would choose my wife and kids all over again. I love my wife and kids more than life itself, but I miss the Regiment THAT much.

The shittiest day in the Ranger Regiment is 100 times better than the best day out here with these pogue assed civilians. There is no comparison.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Ranger Creeping Death wrote:
Listen to the man, boys. He knows what he is talking about. I wish I had heard those words of advise about ten years ago. I chose to leave when I did, largely because of what I viewed as a poor COC at the time and not seeing any relief in sight, and have regretted it ever since.

I would not have met my wife, or have my children today if I had stayed, and that is the only thing that I gained by hanging up my boots. Everything else was a loss - TRUE friends, a healthy lifestyle, a fullfilling career, and a more enjoyable life in general.

My wife and kids are the only thing that keeps me from living a life of regret from leaving the service. If you ever have a choice, choose to stay - even through the shitty times.

If it were possible to go back ten years, and make the choice again, fully knowing what lay ahead for me either way, it scares me becuase many times I'm not sure I would choose my wife and kids all over again. I love my wife and kids more than life itself, but I miss the Regiment THAT much.

The shittiest day in the Ranger Regiment is 100 times better than the best day out here with these pogue assed civilians. There is no comparison.

Thanks for the info Ranger Creeping Death, thats a great perspective on the Ranger Regiment. One I hadn't really heard before.

~Joseph
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

Deppers and Wannabees, by now it should have dawned on you that you MUST prepare for the Battalion LONG BEFORE you get there. That means prior to entering service, during OSUT and AIT. If you do not do this you will not be prepared mentally or physically resulting in you getting booted from RIP or the Batt. due to mental or physical fatigue/injury.

THAT MEANS START YOUR PHYSICAL TRAINING PROGRAM NOW AND CONTINUE IT IN ADDITION TO ANY OTHER TRAINING UNTIL YOU GET TO RIP.

You have been told many times by Rangers on this site so you have no excuse. Do not take up a coveted Option 40 if you have not prepared yourself to succeed. Do not think that because you played sports in HS that you can make it without doing more. Prepare yourself to become a Ranger now or get out of the way !
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Ranger IntelToad: Were you dumped into the 197th prior to their deployment to NTC in August 1987?
Nope, missed that one. But I did the one in late spring 1989 right before I ETS'ed.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

Creeping Death wrote:
Smiddy wrote:

~Joseph

I agree with Smiddy and Creeping Death 100% and then some. NEVER LEAVE BN if you can help it. I made the mistake of leaving after 6 1/2 years. At the time I thought I was going to a good assignment do something different but I found out how much I really missed BN. I left in SEP 00 and we all know what happened 1 yr after that and my dumb ass wasn't in BN anymore ot help out/do my part. I left BN of my own free will and I regret it to this day.

NEVER GET OFF THE BOAT absolutely God Damn right. Never leave BN!
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95

Return to “About RASP”