Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

peterk
US Army

Introduction

Post by peterk »

Hi Rangers and fellow members of this forum. My name is Peter and I am 21 years old. Currently I am a junior in college getting a B.A. degree in Criminal Justice. For now I am just a civilian but look to serve sometime soon. I have the option of joining a ROTC program, which would mean I attend a Leadership Training Course (LTC) and also attend school for another two years. The other option is to finish schooling in a year and enlist with an option 40. Joining the army and serving as a Ranger had always been a plan for me since high school, but my original plan to enlist after high school had to be put on the back burner because of a torn ACL. I had to push the army back for a couple of years until I recieved my surgery in Jan. of 2006. It's been over a year now and I exercise daily. I guess what I am looking for is advice on which path I should take. I am aware of the ROTC program and if, and only if, I get a combat arms MOS will I be slated to attend Airborne and Ranger School. I have read this site for information and advice given to others. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
SAVAGE^
Infantryman

Post by SAVAGE^ »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, PM inbound.

Nik
RRDTm3's bitch
In Airborne hold

"It Only Sucks While Your Doing It"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Post your PT scores stud. And get an Avatar ASAP.
Slick wrote: I have read this site for information and advice given to others.
If this statement is true, then why are you asking us to regurgitate the same old shit? Officer or enlisted has been covered on here ad nauseam.
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

I guess what I am looking for is advice on my situation personally. I have read posts about officers and enlisting, and thought they helped me alot. But from the reading, I was leaning more towards finishing off college and enlisting, rather than participating in ROTC.

As for PT scores, about a month ago I separated my shoulder so I could not do any push ups. Before my separated shoulder: PU: 75, SU: 60, 2 mile run: 13:00 min. give or take a couple seconds. I know these PU and SU scores mean nothing because I most likely was not at all times using army standards. But I still can not put that much pressure on my shoulder and only got to 6 PU's before pain. SU: 60-70 and my run time got worse by 1 min. I have not run or lifted in a month. I am getting back into working out. Still haven't timed my 5 mile run but I can maintain a 7 min. mile for now, which isn't much.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and thanks for your interest in joining the Army. First and foremost, you are close, so finish school if at all possible because that will help you with whatever choices you make. After school, enlist with an Option 40 contract. If after serving in the Regiment, you want to get a commission, apply for OCS.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

peterk wrote: But I still can not put that much pressure on my shoulder and only got to 6 PU's before pain.
Stop trying to do pushups. Listen to your Doctor. Go see a sport medicine Dr. if you can. He will be able to put you on a plan to get your shoulder back to where it needs to be. Trust me, if you join and secure an Opt 40, you will have plenty of pain to deal with from just doing the job.

Other than that, If you want to finish school, that's cool. You may or may not be selected as an Officer (if you choose that route). If not, you will enter the regiment as a tabless E-4 (tough on you college boy) If you join after you finish your 2 year, you will come in with some rank. As an enlisted man, you will be able to spend more time in the Regiment.

You came looking for advice. My advice to you is to look inside and ask yourself: "what do I want". When you can answer that, you will have the direction you need.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

Guess the stickies must've changed.
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

peterk wrote:I guess what I am looking for is advice on my situation personally. I have read posts about officers and enlisting, and thought they helped me alot. But from the reading, I was leaning more towards finishing off college and enlisting, rather than participating in ROTC.
And your situation is different from anyone else's?

Anyway, I've known several ROTC instructors, one of which was a prior service Infantryman (SSG) before going to OCS. His view of ROTC was that it's a means to an end - basically a way for men and women to fund their college. Some take to it, some don't, meaning that some cadets are good and others are pieces of shit. Which can turn into producing officers who are mediocre, and ineffective and dangerous leaders.

Since you seem to need time to heal your shoulder, and you haven't mentioned financial difficulty in pursuing your degree, I would finish school as a civilian. At that time, you can choose to enlist with an opt 40 to go to Regiment or you can enlist for OCS (after completing basic training, you go straight to OCS). Keep your options open for a decision later, but finish school now. It's amazing what a little time will do to focus your personal goals and objectives.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Capellanus
Ranger

Post by Capellanus »

The previous Rangers have already given you some direction. What type of person are you? Do you have what it takes to lead? If so then, spending another two years in school may be the way to go.
You are young. I would recommend that you finish your four years of college which will only put you at age 23. This will give you plenty of time to recover from your torn ACL and separated shoulder. Join the ROTC program and strive to graduate as an honor graduate. In other words, begin now by LTW. Then in two years, you can decide on either branching as an officer or taking the option 40.

Ranger Brovo57 is correct when he says, you will spend more time in BN as and enlisted. However, you will not be afforded much time to finish your 4 year degree once you get to BN. Therefore, finish the 4 years and you will have more options at 23. If you decided to enlist at that time, the transition from green to gold will be much quicker if you change your mind.
RGR Capellanus
6th RTB (Jun 12-present)
2/75 Rgr. Bn. ( July 10-Jun 11)
1-32 IN, 3BCT, 10th MTN, DIV (07-10)
B Co. 1/75 Rgr. Bn. (92-97)
RGR Class 8-94
OEF (Aug 11-Dec 11)
OEF (Oct 10-Jan 11)
OEF IX/X (Jan 09-Jan 10)
"As Iron sharpens Iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:7)
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Capellanus wrote:Join the ROTC program and strive to graduate as an honor graduate. In other words, begin now by LTW. Then in two years, you can decide on either branching as an officer or taking the option 40.
Ranger C - Would he incur a service obligation as an officer if he completed ROTC? Would he be eligible to enlist, or does ROTC scholarship eliminate that? If so, would ROTC count in any way as prior service to disqualify him from options? What if he attends ROTC without scholarship?

Good advice as far as gaining the leadership experience. Perhaps one of our former recruiters can step in, to confirm the advice.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Capellanus
Ranger

Post by Capellanus »

42L5W wrote:Ranger C - Would he incur a service obligation as an officer if he completed ROTC? Would he be eligible to enlist, or does ROTC scholarship eliminate that? If so, would ROTC count in any way as prior service to disqualify him from options? What if he attends ROTC without scholarship?
Great questions. I don't know the answers to these questions. Perhaps your advice on finishing the 4 years as a civilian may be the way to go. Either way, I say finish all 4 years and then decide on whether to enlist or go for the gold bar.
RGR Capellanus
6th RTB (Jun 12-present)
2/75 Rgr. Bn. ( July 10-Jun 11)
1-32 IN, 3BCT, 10th MTN, DIV (07-10)
B Co. 1/75 Rgr. Bn. (92-97)
RGR Class 8-94
OEF (Aug 11-Dec 11)
OEF (Oct 10-Jan 11)
OEF IX/X (Jan 09-Jan 10)
"As Iron sharpens Iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:7)
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

Thank you Rangers and members for the advice. I am taking this into consideration and leaning towards finishing my college degree, then enlisting with option 40.
"I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live." Martin Luther King Jr.

RSTB

Return to “Introduction Archive”