A question about glasses.

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
DanteM
Embryo

A question about glasses.

Post by DanteM »

For any Rangers or other service members that wear glasses, do they issue you an extra pair of glasses or are the glasses they give you pretty indestructible? I was reading the book "To Be A US Army Ranger" and a bunch of guys had these weird glasses with elastic straps that looked pretty durable. Also do glasses make it that much harder to do your job in the rain, dust, jumping out of a plane etc. or is it not that big of a deal?
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

The Army will issue you all the glasses you want. Hell, the Army might even issue you more glasses than you want.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

What you are referring to is what WE call "go fast" glasses. They are essentially Pro-Mask inserts, but... can be worn even under a scuba mask. Now, the trick is... to be able to go down town with your fire team, wearing your "go fast's" and bed the hottest chick out! For you to rock them, that's the standard.

The Army is also getting generous with RPK / PRK / LASIK. I for one, wear corrective lenses, and let me tell you... what a fucking pain in the ass. Has never been an issue for me, but on long night patrols when it is hot and humid, the "go fast" glasses tend to fog up pretty badly.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ShortStackAO
Ranger

Post by ShortStackAO »

What you can also look into until you get LASIK/PRK is getting prescription sunglasses. I have had some problems finding ones that work for me because of severe astigmatism, but here is a good site to check out for them.

http://www.heavyglare.com

Not all of them are authorized for military use, but once you get to a unit or find someone who knows what they’re talking about they’ll show you which ones you can get.
1/1 ARB, 1st ID 09-Present
1/503rd INF (ABN) 06-09
Class 03-06

RIP - 1LT Ben Hall - KIA 31 July 2007
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Go fasters at the Chick Chick Chickasaw = scoring, but it's been closed for years.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
rj50
US Army Veteran

Post by rj50 »

I would get LASIK if possible. Wearing glasses as an 11b was a pain in the ass (one more thing to worry about losing/breaking too).

Here are the BCGs. http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/milbrown.html.

The gofasters were at least tolerable, and stick to your head better. I couldn't find a picture of them though. When you get on post you'll see Soldiers running around with them. They're probably at Ranger joes in Columbus.
11B, 25th ID (2/27 inf Aco & HHC "Scouts") 99-02. Current LEO.
ShortStackAO
Ranger

Post by ShortStackAO »

There have only been a hand full of soldiers in my unit that have been able to get LASIK/PRK, BUT if you want to set yourself up for success for it this is what you need to do first...GET A FULL OPTOMETRY APOINTMENT ASAP!!! This can be from the Army or via civilian doctors.

Your prescription has to have been stable (they look for at least a year time period) and they do not accept the Ranger School, Basic Training, etc appointments because they are short, finger fuck exams.

Once you get to your unit you'll have to have another full optometry appointment (a year after your last full exam) and the paperwork will get started assuming you qualify. The rest is up to what priority you are, how bad your vision is, and if you can fit it in your schedule.
1/1 ARB, 1st ID 09-Present
1/503rd INF (ABN) 06-09
Class 03-06

RIP - 1LT Ben Hall - KIA 31 July 2007
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

USASOC service (Rangers, SF etc) have limitations on allowable eye surgery.
You might want to investigate what is allowed, what is waiverable and what will bar you from your goals.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
DanteM
Embryo

Post by DanteM »

Thanks for the advice Rangers and other service members, from what I have read the large majority suggest LASIK and that is probably the best bet for me because I am so bad that I can't see a board in class from 20 feet away so by the time I am in service if I lost my glasses I am sure I would be near worthless in combat or in the dark in any type of situation. However I was under the impression that the minimum age for LASIK was 25, and I plan on going in at the age of 18. Am I wrong or is this the way it is? Thanks.
rj50
US Army Veteran

Post by rj50 »

I got sick of wearing contacts as a Cop (I'd lose them during scuffels) and got it done when I was 23. I"ve never heard of an age requirement, only that your eyes have to be completely stable (I guess eye size grows and contracts). Three days later, I was back at work.

I may get flamed for this, but I know how frustrating it is to be in the field with glasses. Research this board, and go to SOCNET and search there also. I can guarantee your are not the only aspiring SOF guy that needs LASIK.

On second thought, call the recruiters.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Rangers, while reading through these numerous threads on eye surgery, I came across a few that said LASIK was an instant disqualification for any SOF type of training or career. The reason being that since LASIK requires a layer to be sliced and "re-healed", this can come easily undone with abbrasive movements or rubbing.

Many suggested PRK (even though healing process is longer) is the only acceptable format since its a laser milling the surface of the cornea. Is this information correct? or is it out dated? Thank you, Rangers.

-Mel
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Get to the recruiters and find out.
DO NOT take their word for it, for anything for that matter.
Ask to see the relevant regs in print - there's nothing in the military that isn't down in black & white.
Everything is subject to change.
And whatever else you're doing, do MORE PT, you're not doing enough.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
rj50
US Army Veteran

Post by rj50 »

Mel wrote: Many suggested PRK (even though healing process is longer) is the only acceptable format since its a laser milling the surface of the cornea. Is this information correct? or is it out dated? Thank you, Rangers.

-Mel
Get the regs in writing.
Military stuff aside, the Doctors told me that PRK recipients tend to have more long term problems (long term being under 20 years for now).
You only have one set of eyes...
rj50
US Army Veteran

Post by rj50 »

Mel wrote: Many suggested PRK (even though healing process is longer) is the only acceptable format since its a laser milling the surface of the cornea. Is this information correct? or is it out dated? Thank you, Rangers.

-Mel
Get the regs in writing.
Military stuff aside, the Doctors told me that PRK recipients tend to have more long term problems (long term being under 20 years for now).
You only have one set of eyes...
Mel

Post by Mel »

That's good advise Ranger Ingraham and Officer rj50. Getting actual documents will clear any doubt. Thank you.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”