Opportunities after BAC...

Ground Week, Tower Week, Jump Week.
Mel

Opportunities after BAC...

Post by Mel »

Hello fellow Rangers, veterans and soldiers. I've already done alot of research on this website, but couldn't find the exact answer to my question. Just a quick rehash of my situation, I'll be getting my Greencard soon, alas no U.S. Citizenship yet, hence option 40 is a no go. Here's my intro. for more details: viewtopic.php?t=31088

I would, however like to atleast attend Airborne School after Basic and AIT and hope to serve with the 101st. Division. I've noticed alot of Rangers and Airborne certified soldiers here have served with the 101st.

How does one get into the 101st? I know that they are considered Air Assault now and that there is a seperate school for that after BAC. Is this something that's out of my control? (ie, 82nd, 173rd and etc.). Do you have to be Ranger tabbed in order to serve with the 101st?

I've tried finding more information on the web, but alot of the information regarding the 101st. is more about the history and formation of the 101st rather than current issues.

Lastly, will a citizenship be required to join this unit? I've read Ranger Kilted Heathen's advise to non-citizens and plan on following his instructions step-by-step. (Thank you Ranger Kilted Heathen.)viewtopic.php?t=15165&postdays=0&postor ... p&start=15

Hopefully, I'll get my citizenship during AIT and will fight for a slot in RS.

-Mel
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

The 101 is no longer an airborne unit. If you get your wings, you will get sent to an airborne unit of the Army's choosing.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Mel

Post by Mel »

Ranger Luna wrote:The 101 is no longer an airborne unit. If you get your wings, you will get sent to an airborne unit of the Army's choosing.
Thank you for the clarification Ranger Luna. I'm guessing I can request to attend Air Assault School during BAC. Am I wrong to assume this? Since RIP and being part of the 75th might not be an option for me, I want to atleast further my skills. :oops:

-Mel
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Mel wrote:
Ranger Luna wrote:The 101 is no longer an airborne unit. If you get your wings, you will get sent to an airborne unit of the Army's choosing.
Thank you for the clarification Ranger Luna. I'm guessing I can request to attend Air Assault School during BAC. Am I wrong to assume this? Since RIP and being part of the 75th might not be an option for me, I want to atleast further my skills. :oops:

-Mel
You can't ask for any schools until after you start serving in your unit.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Mel

Post by Mel »

Thank you for the information, Ranger Luna.
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

You might be able to enlist for a specific unit. You won't have much control over where you go after OSUT unless you know someone.

You do not need to go to Air Assault to be an 11B in the 101st, you get sent while you are at Ft Campbell.

You need to go to Airborne to be an 11B in 82nd, 173rd, or 4-25.

You don't go to Ranger School until you get some experience.

You seem to have Ranger School (RS) and Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP) confused. Why don't you figure the difference before you say you are going to fight for a slot.
RS Class 06-06
Mel

Post by Mel »

Grumble and Grunt wrote:You might be able to enlist for a specific unit. You won't have much control over where you go after OSUT unless you know someone.

You do not need to go to Air Assault to be an 11B in the 101st, you get sent while you are at Ft Campbell.

You need to go to Airborne to be an 11B in 82nd, 173rd, or 4-25.

You don't go to Ranger School until you get some experience.

You seem to have Ranger School (RS) and Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP) confused. Why don't you figure the difference before you say you are going to fight for a slot.
Thank you Ranger Grumble and Grunt. Its alot clearer now. Sorry if I mixed RS and RIP up...from what I understand RIP happens after Basic, AIT and BAC...if you pass RIP you get into the 75th (Option40). Ranger School is open to further branches and MOS after a few years of experience and if you stand out or perform admirably. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Apologies for the confusion.

Upon further research, it seems that the way best way into Airborne is via 11b with Option-04 (not Option-40).

Does anyone know whether getting into Air Assault school is a seperate option? If I enlist as an 11B, can I request both options or is it one or the other?

Thank you Rangers.

-Mel
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Ranger Luna, that is not entirely true anymore, I ended up in a Cav unit.

Mel, if you want to serve with the 101st, make sure you get assignment choice to Ft. Campbell. You will attend air assault school when you get to your unit within the 101st. You can get Airborne in your contract but not Air Assault.

If you don't get Ft. Campbell(101st) in your contract, after you graduate OSUT or BAC you could end up anywhere in the world...
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Mel

Post by Mel »

Thank you Sledge Hammer (how do I address Airborne Soldiers...I don't want to disrespect anyone). That information is very useful.

So I guess the steps I should take are: Apply for 11b with Airborne contract and request to be stationed at Ft. Campbell.

Return to “About Airborne School”