Too old to make it through Ranger School?

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Goblue
Egg

Too old to make it through Ranger School?

Post by Goblue »

A couple questions for the Rangers who frequent these forums

What age would be considered to old for a person to make it through the program?

I am considering enlisting in a year or so and am currently 30 years old,have a family and financial issues to resolve before it would be feasible to enlist. Assuming I was in excellant physical shape going in would it be realistic to think I could make it through school? I am still researching and was hoping to get some input from some folks who have made it through.

Any info, thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Master J

Post by Master J »

its been done before...but make sure you know what your gettin into,ranger life is tough on a family.to many jodys!
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

You can do it, if your heart is into it. In my class, we had an older guy that came from Korea. He already had 15 yrs in service, and was an E-7. I think he was something like 40 - 42 years old. Hell, as far as stupid school goes, he may as well have been 80.

It got tough on him though. Winter in Mountain phase ain't no joke, even for younger guys. I didn't think he would make it. But the old codger pulled through. By Florida phase, he was out of gas, and still didn't have his Florida "go". On the last patrol, some of us Bat. Boys volunteered to him to be his SQ LDRs and TM LDRs for his PSG patrol, and we helped him get his go. The Tabs on this board can remember what the last patrol is like, and we didn't want him getting buddy fucked on the last patrol, and have to recycle. In our minds, the old man hard already earned his shit, just by hanging in there like he did.

I think it damn near killed him, at his age. But, he won a lot of respect from a lot of people in doing it.

As far as "on paper" goes, I have no idea what the age cutoff is.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
Dman

Post by Dman »

When I was an RI, we had a CSM from 25th ID come through (Johnson I think), he had to be in his mid 40's and he smoked it.

MSG D

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”