Positive TB Tine Test and Deployment

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Positive TB Tine Test and Deployment

Post by Flesh Thorn »

A co-worker of mine is looking at his second deployment to Iraq. He is also showing a reaction to the TB Tine Test that he took this weekend, but hasn't been able to see a MD yet. Just to be speculating, does anyone know how this can affect his deployment status ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

yeah, he ain't going
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Doc Roberts
US Army Veteran

Post by Doc Roberts »

If I remember correctly, the test only shows exposure not infection. Following a positive reaction, the norm is have chect xrays done to determine anything further. This could have changed recently. However, I do not know if a positive test will disqualify you from another depoyment. Upon my last redeploy several guys from the Ga LRS unit showed positive tests but they are now redeployed. I do not know the steps they had to undertake in that process.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

"DOC, check out that hole....!" Maj. Boz, Yusufiyah, Iraq
LEO, Ditch Doc
LLUbetterhalf
Tadpole

OIF III Deployment 04-05

Post by LLUbetterhalf »

Ranger Flesh Thorn,
I was a medic with the 256th BDE. I worked in the TMC some and this is what we did. When we mobilized we had several soldiers test positive on the skin TB test. Those soldiers were sent for chest x-rays. If the chest x-ray came up negative they were started on a year long treatment of a prescription (I do not remember the name of the drug but I can find out). The drug was not to be taken with alcholic beverages (no drinking ofr a year). The soldiers with the negative chest x-rays did deploy and after the year treatment with the prescription drug a second chest x-ray was given. (Our unit waited until the soldiers arrived home to give the second chest x-ray. That was slightly over the one year mark.)

I hope that answers some questions.
"Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them!"
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

So, Negative X Ray= Deployable
Positive Xray = Non Deployable
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
LLUbetterhalf
Tadpole

Correct

Post by LLUbetterhalf »

Ranger Flesh Thorn,
That is correct. That is how the 256th worked it in 2004. To the best of my knowledge it has not changed. I am on the phone now trying to get ahold of our MED DET to see if there have been any changes.

***edited*** negative contact due to block leave for Thanksgiving. Will have to wait until the 27th or 28th.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Be advised that my co-worker is Navy Reserve not Army. We are just speculating on the future of his deployable status.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

LLUbetterhalf
Tadpole

Post by LLUbetterhalf »

Ranger Flesh Thorn,

I couldn't find out any information about the Navy reserve.. Just the Army NG. The Army NG is the above mention posts. Sorry that I couldn't find out any more info for you.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

LLUbetterhalf wrote:Ranger Flesh Thorn,

I couldn't find out any information about the Navy reserve.. Just the Army NG. The Army NG is the above mention posts. Sorry that I couldn't find out any more info for you.
He went and had a chest x-ray before Thanksgiving and hasn't heard a word from anyone. Maybe they will ship him to Iraq and then decide that they have to send him back home. It wouldn't be nice of the U.S. to spread disease to Iraq. :wink:
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

FT, Just to add my 2 cents, He'll deploy and take the drugs with him. BTW the drug is INH, I should know because I took it. I was positive and still deployed again. He's not going to drink anyway while deployed. Also My ttreatment was only 6 months. If he lapses a week during the 6 months, He's got to start all over. TB tine positive just means he's been exposed to someone with active TB, I got my exposure in Somalia and it hasn't effected any of my deployments. Tell your friend to be careful not to get another TB tine test or it might give him active TB, They should already have told him. He will be prohibited from ever getting another one.
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Thanks. I'll pass the information along.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Talked to him this morning. He had went to the VA for his x-ray since he is a Reservist. He got a ltter yesterday telling him that he is G2G. :shock:
All they done was chest x-ray and examined the reaction 5-7 days after the injection.
Also, the CDC makes no mention of there being any risk with subsequent tine test and states that the test needs to be read within 72 hours. Sounds like the Navy Reserve dropped the ball with this CB.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Darksaga
Soldier

Post by Darksaga »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Talked to him this morning. He had went to the VA for his x-ray since he is a Reservist. He got a ltter yesterday telling him that he is G2G. :shock:
All they done was chest x-ray and examined the reaction 5-7 days after the injection.
Also, the CDC makes no mention of there being any risk with subsequent tine test and states that the test needs to be read within 72 hours. Sounds like the Navy Reserve dropped the ball with this CB.
Ranger all this means is he is a carrier. He has been exposed to the virus but the disease is dormant. Since he is a reservist they may just refer him to the local county community health for monitoring and to be issued his medication. He will have to take the medication for 6-9 month depending on county policy. Furthermore, he is not contagious. The will do a liver panel to check his enzyme levels prior to his taking the medication as it is supposed to be very hard on the liver. He will also, most likely, be kept on deployabe status.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -Henery Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

"I might not be Airborne however, it's whats on my right sleave!"
*1992-1996 USMC CPL
* 12/2005- present USAR Medic PL/ Human Terrain Teams

Return to “Medical Issues”