Fellow Bros who are in the Guard

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Kat1/75
Ranger

Post by Kat1/75 »

JB wrote:I've spent quite a few years in the big Army and the Guard. The Guard is in its own way a different animal. Not bad just different.

If you're going to go in as enlisted than look at the different units. Don't assume becuase they are high speed they are, sometimes these units do very well in training but not so well in Soldier care.

I'll disagree with the Rangers about being an officer in the Guard. I found way more bullshit on the Active Duty side then I ever did in the Guard. My experience you just don't have time for it on a drill weekend if you're doing what your supposed to be. You do have allot more impact in the unit's training if you're proactive.

Overall, I think most units are getting better, especially with all the deployments are getting rid of the dead weight.

By the way, I went OCS in Region G, same as Colorado, if you want some tips or heads up just ask away.
Thanks JB,
Are you on that ocsng site too, I'm sure there will be more ?'s in the near future!
ACO 1/75 WPNS. PLT.
12/93-3/98
Class 1/96
JB
US Army Veteran

Post by JB »

I'm the same JB on the NG OCS site.
AD 1993-1998
Currently a FA Battery XO
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I was in the Reserves a very short time......with a local Cav unit. Cav scouts were about the coolest thing locally.

These fuckers were retards. I was the only one halfway squared away...it was pretty scary.

I slept outside the gp large one night because I didn't feel like trying to sleep with 400 fat fuckers snoring and farting......They come out the next morning and are all look, "Ooh look, Ranger HARD, he slept outside." :? They seriously thought that was hard. I looked at them sideways....wasn't nothing "Hard" about it...there's a fine line between hard and stupid, and now I avoid being cold, tired, or hungry if I can help it.

The PSG comes up to me and tells me he's going to make me a Bradley commander.

Me: Hooah, Sarn't.

PSG turns to leave.....

Me: Sarn't?

PSG: Yes?

Me: Not complaining, but I thought I'd let you know I've never seen a Bradley..... :twisted:
Nugget
Ranger

Post by Nugget »

YAC wrote:I spent 4 years in 1/75 and the last 6 years in the Guard. That being said Pre- 9/11 guard vs post 9/11 guard I have seen an almost 180 degree shift. From being a bunch of guys that I would never want to have live rounds to guys that I would go anywhere with. Alot of that has to do with the very real reality of being deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq at a minimum of 1 yr at a time.

Most guard units today have already spent atleast a year in either Iraq or afghanistan as well as some homeland security missions. Granted most of them havent been hostage rescue missions or terrorist training camp combined arms raids with littlebirds and spectre but they have been in combat.

The guard really needs good officers that can point their guys in the right direction and give some good imput in the training meetings. The young guys coming in know that they are going to go to war and thats why they are there. They want to learn how to be hardcore steeley eyed killers. They have a shortage of good role models with superior tactical knowlege to help them achieve that goal.

The guard has some real advantages over active duty since these guys have civilian professions as well as military experience so alot of times you can fall back on their civilian jobs as cops, construction workers, electricians, gunsmiths, doctors, nurses etc.. while your in country. In the active duty you dont have this since most guys joined right out of highschool and dont have many other skills to offer.

My point is that if you want to make a difference the guard is a great place for you to go. Just about any Ranger with a little patience and a true desire to train up his own little company of rangers can do it in the guard. The troops are hungry for knowlege. But it takes alot of work getting to understand the way it works. The biggest challenge is probably the conflicting training schedule. In the guard you have so many tasks that you are required to train on in a given year theere is little time for training on your small unit tactics. The answer here is be ready for hip pocket training every drill. Have a couple tasks that you want to drill your guys on whenever you have some down time. For me it has been the hip pocket training times of 15 minutes here 10 minutes there that I have been able to build my team/squad the most.
Nice of you to poke your head in, fucker!! :twisted:
A Co 1/75 1996-2000
Class 9-98

"I'm not the best medic, but I'm YOUR medic"
pzpos360

Post by pzpos360 »

No shit! God damn Yak, you haven't posted in like two years :lol:
pzpos360

Post by pzpos360 »

I didn't miss you........ ok maybe just a little :oops:

Is your number the same? I may be in the quad cities next month and we can link up like we were supposed to last time.

As for the BSTB, I'll pass, too many non Infantry officers in charge of Infantrymen for my taste plus I haven't met a Colonel I wanted to play bullet catcher for yet so that gig is on the bottom of my list. But to each his own.
KKovac B Co. 2/75
Ranger

Fuck Te Guard-

Post by KKovac B Co. 2/75 »

Below is a thread that I had posted, regarding the guard, on Airborneranger.com, regarding the Guard:

1ST POSTING:

Don't know if you guys remember but after 14 years of being out I decided to join the Guard with the intentions of giving OCS a shot. Well, here's the fucked up follow-up. After getting the physical done (MEPS) and signing the dotted line (just a 1 year contract), my recruiter tells me that he'll contact someone in my future unit (an infantry leg unit) who, in turn, will contact me.

Well, after waiting and not hearing anything, I begin to call my recruiter who, for whatever reason, doesn't return any of my calls. After about 20 calls, and messages left on his voicemail, a SSG, from the unit calls me and gives me the details on my first drill. Being semi-vauge in his description of the weeks activities and being out of the net for so long, I had a thousand questions to include subjects like TA-50, do I have to stay the night at the armory ect., ect.

Anyway, the day finally arrives and I show up wearing a set of ACUs with all of my shit on it. I walk in and was greeted by several SSG's-to include the one I spoke with on the phone. He, being the one that I spoke with earlier, is apparently a full-time NG guy who had spent some time in 1st Batt. but had failed Ranger School after three attempts. decent guy-however a little intense. This guy goes on to tell me that there's a problem and that my recruiter screwed up some paperwork somewhere. He further indicates that I can stay if I want but, he can't promise that I'd get paid or that I'd be covered if an accident should happen.

Being a little pissed, I let everyone know that this is fucked up and if this is what I have to expect from the Guard, they ain't gonna see me around too much longer. Unfortunately, everyone there was cool about it and understood my issue. The PL of the unit, whom I can't describe as anything but what you'd picture a manager of McDonalds being-said that he'd look into things and get back to me.

After the problem was addressed and I told them that I wasn't gonna stick around for the weekend-range qualifications and shotgun familiarization training, I had asked if I could stick around for a PT test that they were doing.-what a mistake!

Now, I know that this is the guard and I definitely know that it isn't Regiment-but holy shit! I couldn't believe the shape that these kids were in. I was disgusted. Now I'm 36, not a stud, but do work out everyday. I was ready to do the run in boots and still knew I could smoke most everyone there. On top of that, the guy giving the test told the testees that if they got a certain percentage-not even 100% they'd be put in for an Army Achievement Medal, I about vomited.

Bottom line is that my whole perception of the army is based on my time in Battalion. I recall guys smoking PT tests with 300's, having the shit on their uniforms straight (the McDonald's LT had a big paint stain on his BDU top) and having a killer attitude. The spec 4's and privates here all appeared to be college kids that just wanted to be somewhere else.

Standing amongst these guys, I could see their attitudes and with that nothing, aside from some college $$, to keep them around. Aside from some sets of jump wings, nobody was showing any signs of attending any hooha schools, the money is shit and their "overly talked about deployment" was being the OPFOR at JRTC.

I don't know, perhaps I should give up. In the end, I think I was looking for that old feeling and trying to go back in time. The SSG, who was in first Batt. had said that he'd call me once my paperwork is fixed. By then I'll probably be close to being done with my enlistment. His closing words to me, which caps everything off was "Do you think we'll see you again"?

RLTW

2ND POSTING:

Well, I went on my second weekend with my unit this past week and hate it even more. The only thing, and I mean the only thing that kept me sanity was the squad leaders and my Plt. Sgt. Most were cops (my profession) so we all had that in common. The Plt. Sgt, an extremely squared away guy, was in a support co. in 1st Group. He had a ton of knowledge and even knew a few guys that were with me in 2nd Batt.

Upon reporting to the armory, I immediately told the SSG in charge of the supply room that I needed some TA50 issued to me. He proceeds to give me the oldest, dirtiest crap that I have ever held. None of the straps were good, the sweatband in the K-pot was used and dirty etc., etc. The worst part was that apparently the gear was only temporary (until new stuff came in) and that I have to turn it in at the end of the weekend! Prior to leaving the armory, for a weekend training area stay, at least three quarters, and I’m not exaggerating, of the privates had come to drill without most of their needed gear. They did however bring ample supplies of pogie, mp3 players and cigarettes.

Upon getting to the training site, we were set in barracks and pretty much started to wind down for the evening. The first day was all classroom training on doing maitenence on the humvee. The afternoon consisted of driving the humvee about a city block, turning it around and driving back.

I then assisted with another PT test. Another disappointment, 90%, including a few senior NCOs and a PL had failed. The same PL had told me that he had been dropped from Ranger school, but was trying to go back.

At that point, I had enough; I found my Plt. Sgt and had told him that I didn’t think I was coming back next drill. He was fine with it and seemed to understand my issues. Unfortunately, my dickhead CO, some leg POS who has never seen the light of day, regarding active duty or combat for that matter, had told me that I swore on the constitution that I’d serve a year and that I’m breaking my pledge. I, in my best way, had told him to save that shit for an eighteen year old not a 36-year-old man who had already served and went to combat. He did ask me what my issues were regarding the unit but, didn’t want to hear the answers that I gave him.

That night the unit again practiced driving the small distance but with night vision, on a light road-ugh. I managed to stay inside the barracks and drink coffee.

After returning to the armory, my PLT. Sgt., had called the 1st Sgt and asked him the consequences, if I didn’t return. His reply was simply a general discharge under honorable conditions. I didn’t like that so I had called the 1st Sgt back and had asked him if there was anything else that could be done. He stated that he could ask the CO., the same that gave me the constitution speech, if I could be put under IRR status and ride my remaining 8 months out. He-being the CO., of course refused and stated that he expects me to serve out my term.

In closing, my Plt. Sgt. Had indicated that he’d put some calls in this week and see what he could do for me. I had told he either the IRR or BS work at the Armory would be fine for the rest of my term. Bottom line is that I didn’t want to be a hindrance on the Plt NCOs for the rest of my term-and it would be better off for everyone involved if they allowed me to leave quietly. No matter how much they hype it up, this unit is not ready for the simplest of rolls in war. God forbid I have to go with them.

3RD POSTING:

Well a final follow up to my saga. Three months ago I had injured myself at work and needed shoulder surgery. With all that, my unit put me on a profile status and then finally offered to put me on IRR status (I'm sure my POS CO realized that he wasn't going to get me back after the second drill). I gratefully accepted their offer and had my surgery two days ago. Thanks for all of the advice and assistance that you all have offered. I had learned many a lesson these past six months. I know that there is some VERY squared away NG and reserve units out there but mine is definitely one of them.

4TH POSTING:
And the bullshit doesn't end......

Last week I was advised by my 1st Sgt that the BC had denied my request for IRR status, even though I was told that I was approved a month ago. He then told me that he [being the 1st Sgt.] thinks he can get me on some sort of NG reserve status, what the difference is, I don't know.

Anyway, quick question-can I still be put on a "stop loss" status if I have 8 years service (4 active, 4 IRR) and my current enlistment of 1 year is 6 months completed? My term ends at the end of July and I just want to be cut from this fucked up unit. My biggest fear is being deployed with these yo-yos.

Eyes, I'm still considering your deal but I want closer on this current pouge unit.
B Co. 2/75 (88-92)
Ranger School Class 10-90
Operation Just Cause 12/20/89
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Dude.....

That post really sums it up for me. I had been "thinking" about joining. not any more. You just confirmed my fears.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
EAT III
Ranger

Post by EAT III »

Kovak.yes they can put you on stop loss,but youve got to be on MOB status.Rember our Phone call last summer? well anyway I'm in the Same unit that Eyes is in,I did the State transfer,painless.Its a Great Unit,and your on Jump Status.

Bravo 57,do you know a Guy called Chief,He was with you 3/75 Guys During your Time Frame.
RLTW!
A/1/75 86-88
RS 10-86
612th (AD)(Heavy Drop) 83-86
Lrsd 25th ID 88-90
151Inf Det (LRS)(ABN) current
Invictus
Ranger

Re: Fuck Te Guard-

Post by Invictus »

I think you posted this in the wrong forum. This belongs in the Good Humor Zone....cause that was some funny shit. It'd be even funnier if it weren't true.
KKovac B Co. 2/75 wrote:Below is a thread that I had posted, regarding the guard, on Airborneranger.com, regarding the Guard:

1ST POSTING:

Don't know if you guys remember but after 14 years of being out I decided to join the Guard with the intentions of giving OCS a shot. Well, here's the fucked up follow-up. After getting the physical done (MEPS) and signing the dotted line (just a 1 year contract), my recruiter tells me that he'll contact someone in my future unit (an infantry leg unit) who, in turn, will contact me.

Well, after waiting and not hearing anything, I begin to call my recruiter who, for whatever reason, doesn't return any of my calls. After about 20 calls, and messages left on his voicemail, a SSG, from the unit calls me and gives me the details on my first drill. Being semi-vauge in his description of the weeks activities and being out of the net for so long, I had a thousand questions to include subjects like TA-50, do I have to stay the night at the armory ect., ect.

Anyway, the day finally arrives and I show up wearing a set of ACUs with all of my shit on it. I walk in and was greeted by several SSG's-to include the one I spoke with on the phone. He, being the one that I spoke with earlier, is apparently a full-time NG guy who had spent some time in 1st Batt. but had failed Ranger School after three attempts. decent guy-however a little intense. This guy goes on to tell me that there's a problem and that my recruiter screwed up some paperwork somewhere. He further indicates that I can stay if I want but, he can't promise that I'd get paid or that I'd be covered if an accident should happen.

Being a little pissed, I let everyone know that this is fucked up and if this is what I have to expect from the Guard, they ain't gonna see me around too much longer. Unfortunately, everyone there was cool about it and understood my issue. The PL of the unit, whom I can't describe as anything but what you'd picture a manager of McDonalds being-said that he'd look into things and get back to me.

After the problem was addressed and I told them that I wasn't gonna stick around for the weekend-range qualifications and shotgun familiarization training, I had asked if I could stick around for a PT test that they were doing.-what a mistake!

Now, I know that this is the guard and I definitely know that it isn't Regiment-but holy shit! I couldn't believe the shape that these kids were in. I was disgusted. Now I'm 36, not a stud, but do work out everyday. I was ready to do the run in boots and still knew I could smoke most everyone there. On top of that, the guy giving the test told the testees that if they got a certain percentage-not even 100% they'd be put in for an Army Achievement Medal, I about vomited.

Bottom line is that my whole perception of the army is based on my time in Battalion. I recall guys smoking PT tests with 300's, having the shit on their uniforms straight (the McDonald's LT had a big paint stain on his BDU top) and having a killer attitude. The spec 4's and privates here all appeared to be college kids that just wanted to be somewhere else.

Standing amongst these guys, I could see their attitudes and with that nothing, aside from some college $$, to keep them around. Aside from some sets of jump wings, nobody was showing any signs of attending any hooha schools, the money is shit and their "overly talked about deployment" was being the OPFOR at JRTC.

I don't know, perhaps I should give up. In the end, I think I was looking for that old feeling and trying to go back in time. The SSG, who was in first Batt. had said that he'd call me once my paperwork is fixed. By then I'll probably be close to being done with my enlistment. His closing words to me, which caps everything off was "Do you think we'll see you again"?

RLTW

2ND POSTING:

Well, I went on my second weekend with my unit this past week and hate it even more. The only thing, and I mean the only thing that kept me sanity was the squad leaders and my Plt. Sgt. Most were cops (my profession) so we all had that in common. The Plt. Sgt, an extremely squared away guy, was in a support co. in 1st Group. He had a ton of knowledge and even knew a few guys that were with me in 2nd Batt.

Upon reporting to the armory, I immediately told the SSG in charge of the supply room that I needed some TA50 issued to me. He proceeds to give me the oldest, dirtiest crap that I have ever held. None of the straps were good, the sweatband in the K-pot was used and dirty etc., etc. The worst part was that apparently the gear was only temporary (until new stuff came in) and that I have to turn it in at the end of the weekend! Prior to leaving the armory, for a weekend training area stay, at least three quarters, and I’m not exaggerating, of the privates had come to drill without most of their needed gear. They did however bring ample supplies of pogie, mp3 players and cigarettes.

Upon getting to the training site, we were set in barracks and pretty much started to wind down for the evening. The first day was all classroom training on doing maitenence on the humvee. The afternoon consisted of driving the humvee about a city block, turning it around and driving back.

I then assisted with another PT test. Another disappointment, 90%, including a few senior NCOs and a PL had failed. The same PL had told me that he had been dropped from Ranger school, but was trying to go back.

At that point, I had enough; I found my Plt. Sgt and had told him that I didn’t think I was coming back next drill. He was fine with it and seemed to understand my issues. Unfortunately, my dickhead CO, some leg POS who has never seen the light of day, regarding active duty or combat for that matter, had told me that I swore on the constitution that I’d serve a year and that I’m breaking my pledge. I, in my best way, had told him to save that shit for an eighteen year old not a 36-year-old man who had already served and went to combat. He did ask me what my issues were regarding the unit but, didn’t want to hear the answers that I gave him.

That night the unit again practiced driving the small distance but with night vision, on a light road-ugh. I managed to stay inside the barracks and drink coffee.

After returning to the armory, my PLT. Sgt., had called the 1st Sgt and asked him the consequences, if I didn’t return. His reply was simply a general discharge under honorable conditions. I didn’t like that so I had called the 1st Sgt back and had asked him if there was anything else that could be done. He stated that he could ask the CO., the same that gave me the constitution speech, if I could be put under IRR status and ride my remaining 8 months out. He-being the CO., of course refused and stated that he expects me to serve out my term.

In closing, my Plt. Sgt. Had indicated that he’d put some calls in this week and see what he could do for me. I had told he either the IRR or BS work at the Armory would be fine for the rest of my term. Bottom line is that I didn’t want to be a hindrance on the Plt NCOs for the rest of my term-and it would be better off for everyone involved if they allowed me to leave quietly. No matter how much they hype it up, this unit is not ready for the simplest of rolls in war. God forbid I have to go with them.

3RD POSTING:

Well a final follow up to my saga. Three months ago I had injured myself at work and needed shoulder surgery. With all that, my unit put me on a profile status and then finally offered to put me on IRR status (I'm sure my POS CO realized that he wasn't going to get me back after the second drill). I gratefully accepted their offer and had my surgery two days ago. Thanks for all of the advice and assistance that you all have offered. I had learned many a lesson these past six months. I know that there is some VERY squared away NG and reserve units out there but mine is definitely one of them.

4TH POSTING:
And the bullshit doesn't end......

Last week I was advised by my 1st Sgt that the BC had denied my request for IRR status, even though I was told that I was approved a month ago. He then told me that he [being the 1st Sgt.] thinks he can get me on some sort of NG reserve status, what the difference is, I don't know.

Anyway, quick question-can I still be put on a "stop loss" status if I have 8 years service (4 active, 4 IRR) and my current enlistment of 1 year is 6 months completed? My term ends at the end of July and I just want to be cut from this fucked up unit. My biggest fear is being deployed with these yo-yos.

Eyes, I'm still considering your deal but I want closer on this current pouge unit.
KKovac B Co. 2/75
Ranger

Post by KKovac B Co. 2/75 »

EAT III wrote:Kovak.yes they can put you on stop loss,but youve got to be on MOB status.Rember our Phone call last summer? well anyway I'm in the Same unit that Eyes is in,I did the State transfer,painless.Its a Great Unit,and your on Jump Status.

Bravo 57,do you know a Guy called Chief,He was with you 3/75 Guys During your Time Frame.

MOB status?
B Co. 2/75 (88-92)
Ranger School Class 10-90
Operation Just Cause 12/20/89
EAT III
Ranger

Post by EAT III »

KKovac B Co. 2/75 wrote:
EAT III wrote:Kovak.yes they can put you on stop loss,but you've got to be on MOB status.Remember our Phone call last summer? well anyway I'm in the Same unit that Eyes is in,I did the State transfer,painless.Its a Great Unit,and your on Jump Status.

MOB status?
Mobilization,Currently or waiting to go.Your Fine,I know your unit.
Last Weekend in March,we have a Jump/Good Field Ex that you could come to and check it out.You wont be Disappointed! Or you could come to the Sniper Range in April.
RLTW!
A/1/75 86-88
RS 10-86
612th (AD)(Heavy Drop) 83-86
Lrsd 25th ID 88-90
151Inf Det (LRS)(ABN) current

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”