Seeking advice before son signs contract...

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
robtye
Embryo

Seeking advice before son signs contract...

Post by robtye »

Guys:

My 19 year old son will be enlisting and is determined to be a Ranger. I believe he has the brains and brawn to make it and would be an asset to our country.

He scored well enough on the ASVAB that any MOS is open to him. Based on recommendation of his recruiter, he plans on selecting MOS 19D, Calvary Scout, and has been advised to pursue Airborne training after completing his "One Station Unit Training". After that the recruiter said he should apply for the Rangers.

I'd just like to ask if this is the best path or, based on your experiences, if there are other alternatives. I expect him to sign a contract shortly, but before he does I would be interested in hearing any recommendations from an insider’s perspective.

In particular, I have the following questions:

1) I’ve heard only certain MOS’ are eligible for entry into the Rangers. What are they and are they in higher demand?

2) What are the advantages/disadvantages of an option 40 or 18X?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

11x with the option 40 is the best and quickest option. If he goes calvary scout, he may never see the Rangers.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

X2 with what Ranger Luna said.

An option 40 will get your son into the 75th Ranger Regiment where he will serve in one of the Ranger Battalions.

Going Cav Scout etc....will only
delay your son becoming a Ranger and he may never serve a day in the 75th. although he may get the opportunity to attend Ranger school and serve in some other unit in the Army. There is TONS of info on this subject on this site. Please use the 'search' feature to furthur your education.
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Hi, Rob....certainly many answers to your questions but here is my take on it.

If the young wants to be a Ranger, then he should forget the 19D routine because once he is MOS'ed as 19D, he "may" get Ranger School but chances are slim and competitive. If he takes the Option 40, he is guaranteed to at least get it a shot...ie...OSUT, Airborne, and RIP. (Ranger Indoctrination Program) Should he pass through those, he is assigned to a Ranger Battalion. Once there, he then begins the "path" as a Ranger. It's not an easy thing but it damned sure paves the road for whatever he wants later on. Many of the boys spend a stint -3-6 years as a Ranger and volunteer for Special Forces which of course entails more schooling and training. Chances are very good for the boy to take this path. Rangers from the Battalions tend to do well throughout the Army because the fact is, not much can be thrown at them they can't handle. Personally, I would take the Option 40 out of the gate. Scouts are fine but in no way measure up to what a Ranger is in so many respects. If he has this "off the cuff" non binding comment that he can become a Ranger anytime from a recruiter whom I typically dont trust anyhow, it means NOTHING. If he wants Ranger...then get option 40. Its a fact, Sir. And please tell the recruiter to shut the fuck up and do what he is asked.

Regards,
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Seeking advice before son signs contract...

Post by Silverback »

robtye wrote:Guys:
Based on recommendation of his recruiter, he plans on selecting MOS 19D, Calvary Scout, and has been advised to pursue Airborne training after completing his "One Station Unit Training". After that the recruiter said he should apply for the Rangers.
THE "RANGERS" DO NOT HAVE POSITIONS FOR THE MOS OF 19D, THE RECRUITER IS LYING TO YOUR SON!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

I was told by a soldier today that the (Army) keep throwing a 19D re-enlistment packet at him. He is a cook in the 82nd. I suspect the recruiter is pushing the 19D because it may be a critically short MOS.

Just my .02

OPTION 40 is the only show in town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

so why isnt the son here looking for info, is dad going to hold his hand in basic
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
robtye
Embryo

Post by robtye »

Silverback,

I've done some searching and found a letter that indicates the 75th accepts 19d [/b]https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/RA ... ter.pdf[b] Does the letter predate your comment, or have thins chaned?

Thanks to all for your inputs!
Silverback wrote:
Based on recommendation of his recruiter, he plans on selecting MOS 19D, Calvary Scout, and has been advised to pursue Airborne training after completing his "One Station Unit Training". After that the recruiter said he should apply for the Rangers.
THE "RANGERS" DO NOT HAVE POSITIONS FOR THE MOS OF 19D, THE RECRUITER IS LYING TO YOUR SON!
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

robtye wrote:Silverback,

I've done some searching and found a letter that indicates the 75th accepts 19d [/b]https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/RA ... ter.pdf[b] Does the letter predate your comment, or have thins chaned?

Silverback wrote:

stop step away from the computer , take a deep breath, then do a lot of research on the difference between the 75th RGR RGT and RTB

I don’t even have to open the doc to know it pertains to RTB, Ranger school will take 19D

The 75th Ranger regiment which is entirely different does NOT.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Silverback wrote:
Sir, You need to address Rangers here as such. (Ranger Silverback.)
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
robtye
Embryo

Post by robtye »

1) he trusts his recruiter, 2) I don't.
Horned Toad wrote:so why isnt the son here looking for info, is dad going to hold his hand in basic
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Silverback wrote:
Sir,
Thank your son for his choice to serve our country and I wish him luck.

By The Way...You're looking at the validation letter from RTB and not the 75th Ranger Regiment. Whay can't you people fucking trust us when we tell you the truth? I get on this site and do eveything I can to square people away and ensure young men who want to serve as a Ranger get that opportunity. I'm fucking sick of it! Get off our site!
Last edited by Silverback on September 21st, 2006, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
robtye
Embryo

Post by robtye »

Ranger Silverback: Got it
Ranger Luna wrote:

Silverback wrote: THE "RANGERS" DO NOT HAVE POSITIONS FOR THE MOS OF 19D, THE RECRUITER IS LYING TO YOUR SON!
Sir, You need to address Rangers here as such. (Ranger Silverback.)
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

robtye wrote:1) he trusts his recruiter, 2) I don't.
Horned Toad wrote:so why isnt the son here looking for info, is dad going to hold his hand in basic
Most recruiters have never been Rangers but they are soldiers, they are given orders, say like “19Ds are low and we need more so steer everyone you can into that career path."

You have received sound advice and have come back to try and sharp shoot a long standing Ranger on the accuracy of his info, not a good move.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Silverback
Ranger

Re: .

Post by Silverback »

RGR_Dan wrote:I was told by a soldier today that the (Army) keep throwing a 19D re-enlistment packet at him. He is a cook in the 82nd. I suspect the recruiter is pushing the 19D because it may be a critically short MOS.

Just my .02

OPTION 40 is the only show in town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's being done because the Army is having a hard time filling all these RSTA squadrons. There is a bit of lag between the stand up of these Squadrons and recieving the actual bodies associated with the MTOE. It's not a big deal, but you should see some of the 19K's (Tanker) reclassing to become "Scouts" Think about it SSGs who never been outside of a tnk are suddenly becoming the "Eye and Ears of the Brigade Combat Teams". It'll work it's just going to take time.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Recruitment Process”