Post military government job opportunities

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

straightshooter
Tadpole

Post military government job opportunities

Post by straightshooter »

Hey there everyone! I am not an expert at this but I currently work in Human Resources at a VA Hospital. This kind of ties in with Ranger Abell's job thread.

What can a Ranger do???? Well let's take that a step further.. What can a post veteran do???

The way that our office works on posting employment for our work force is like this.... If you are what we call General Public (a civilian without any veteran or prior federal work history) you stand very little to none on even getting a job packet to apply for work at the hospital.
Granted each VA is set up differently on their criteria, but this portion of the hiring is basically the same nation wide.

IF you are a veteran or a disabled veteran you are given preference to apply for any government job. (One of the few bennies)
Government jobs are awesome! Most all are salary based and like mine most run administrative hours, unless your profession states otherwise(ie. police officer, nurse may run rotations)Administrative hours are 7:30-4:00 pm M-F!!!

You automatically start to accummulate leave time AND the longer you serve in the military, the more that they will give you for leave(ex. 6hours vs 8 hours per pay period towards leave)This means that if let's say you have worked in your job only about 26 weeks (6 months)That's 13 pay periods at 8 hours leave granted every pay period, That means you already have saved about 104 hours of leave.

Do the math! You already have 2 weeks vacation coming for only working 6 months at your job!!!

Being a veteran, you are what they call a status Applicant. This means that you are eligible to apply for almost any job that comes open nation wide at any government facility. Where I work they hardly EVER give an opportunity to hire on a civilian onto our workplace UNLess they have prior government service, or they have gone to college and hold a professional title as a Nurse or Dr. or something.

So, let's say you are just thinkin' Well shucks... All I was, was a grunt in the Army....

SO WHAT!!!!!Just as Ranger Abell pointed out... their is a bunch of opportunity out there for someone who was selfless enough to serve our country, starting right here at a VA Hospital or some other GS positioned job.
I tell you, one of my most satisfying things that I do is work for the VA because those veterans need more veterans in the system to work and understand them. Our system has slacked because it hasn't always worked that way. You get some dumb shit who never served or someone who had been there too long & ready to retire, and they don't have a flippin' clue or care about the veteran... that Grunt hiring on into the VA system and just relating well with the veterans is a major deal!!! believe me, I dealt with a lot of BS as a woman going through the VA system, alot of red tape and run arounds, I swore that If I had the chance to help from that end I would. and now here I am.. I will never forget the fellow soldier.

So, bottom line is, VA has great jobs, needs great people who are willing to give back and who understand and appreciate what these vets of all ages have been through for this country. Here is a website to browse if you are looking for employment post military.

www.va.gov/jobs

All the application forms can be found here too for any VA job and can be submitted on line from here.
55B, 1989-1992, Ft. Benning, GA. United States Army Marksmanship Team 1990-1992, International Pistol.

life is what you make of it
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Thanks SS. 8)
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
VAK
USAF Veteran

The post I was waiting for...

Post by VAK »

I don't care what any of you asses say about her, that was the exact post I was waiting to see here. Thank you Straightshooter, sincerely. And before they go off on the rant they are sure to do, I am the nice, quiet and polite one. The others you will see and speak to on here are truly freaks, most are sex offenders (don't be taken in, that just means they are freaks and stupid enough to have been caught.)

Bwahahaha

In all seriousness, thank you for your post. It was both timely and needed.

usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
Bell

Post by Bell »

"The others you will see and speak to on here are truly freaks, most are sex offenders (don't be taken in, that just means they are freaks and stupid enough to have been caught.)"

Hey, she did say she was kinky!

RLTW
Bell
VAK
USAF Veteran

Kinky...

Post by VAK »

Bell,

She did at that. And even though she hails from a state a called home for a time, one of my favorite places in the world, I must admit that I am no longer even going to try and hunt here.... My Brother Bell, consider usaftacp off of this range and the range clear.... Any woman who would take a Man's remote (See McD's thread) is scary to me. I can handle losing my house, my car, maybe even my cltohes.... But never my guns or my remote. There is something that is just not right about that.

She scares me Bell. She's just... I don't know the word, there is something lurking there just under the surface. You all are playing with some kind of weird fire you just don't quite get yet. She took the man's remote and is using it for sex games with Dr. Phil. Damn, that's just eeeevvvviiiiiillllll..... Bwahahahaha

Godspeed and Good Luck,
usaftacp
"Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
(Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe)

Mentor to those who would seek to be CAS God's
straightshooter
Tadpole

Re: Kinky...

Post by straightshooter »

usaftacp wrote:Bell,

She did at that. And even though she hails from a state a called home for a time, one of my favorite places in the world, I must admit that I am no longer even going to try and hunt here.... My Brother Bell, consider usaftacp off of this range and the range clear.... Any woman who would take a Man's remote (See McD's thread) is scary to me. I can handle losing my house, my car, maybe even my cltohes.... But never my guns or my remote. There is something that is just not right about that.

She scares me Bell. She's just... I don't know the word, there is something lurking there just under the surface. You all are playing with some kind of weird fire you just don't quite get yet. She took the man's remote and is using it for sex games with Dr. Phil. Damn, that's just eeeevvvviiiiiillllll..... Bwahahahaha

Godspeed and Good Luck,
usaftacp

Boy!!! Ijust got around to reading this!!!! That wasn't me I tellya' Connie just stole my computer access and typed that in using my avatar!!! I swear it wasn't me :twisted: !!!!
55B, 1989-1992, Ft. Benning, GA. United States Army Marksmanship Team 1990-1992, International Pistol.

life is what you make of it

Return to “Post Service Issues”