Career guidance

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

You looking at going into the LEO or the FLEO thing, huh?

The bottom line is this. Everyone starts somewhere.

You're gonna pay your dues before you move up.

Everyone does.

Being a good street cop is the foundation and the fundamentals on which everything in LE is built.

Before you go from the streets to being a doorkicker or stacking in preparation to serve a high risk warrant, no matter what your resume, most departments require progression in a logical manner.

With that said, take heart.

With your credentials, when the time comes, once you've got some time under your belt, you'll get noticed. :wink:

Personally, I'd stick with the Chemical Engineering route. :lol:

RLTW,

CM
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
oakmax
Embryo

Post by oakmax »

Maybe look into some DSS/Blackwater contracting jobs?? Possibly a bail bondsman. I played paintball lots, now I'm gettn the itch again for action. I'm tryin shooting sports and am looking into doing flight medic work. Currently I recover open heart surgery patients and I'm getting bored.

Do stick with education, you will regret it as much as serving in the Bat.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at
night only because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf."
Aco 2/75 91-93 earthpig maggot
Colts and kimbers show to friends glocks are beter suited for enemies.
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

Ranger buddy, if Law Enforcement is what you really wanted all along, then go for it. But if you're just feeling worn out by school and your civillian counterparts, suck it up and drive on just like you did in batt when things started to suck. I know what you're going through, trust me. The problem is that you've distinguished yourself in one field and it made you feel accomplished. Now it's hard to feel accomplished in your current environment, surrounded by shitbags, ambiguous or arbitrary standards, and seemingly devoid of any worthwhile purpose.

You need to ask yourself how you can ADAPT your skills to dominate your current situation. Look, you can get things done to standard without bitching and you can push others to do the same. You can plan and execute better than anyone in those lecture halls.

You said you wanted to solve the world energy crisis- how can you even THINK about giving that up? The world needs someone with that kind of determination to solve a problem, not just another selfish prick out to make a buck.

Stick it out, finish your major (Chem? Biochem? Orgo?), go to grad school and GET YOUR SHIT. It's just like those long, nighttime smoke sessions at Cole Ranger- every bit of you wants to quit, but you don't, simply because you're doing what you set out to do. Hang in there and it will get better- you just have to work through the resistance.

Besides, the academic/professional world needs more vet, ESPECIALLY Rangers! Bitching about the civillian world and all its hypocrisy and deteriorating values isn't going to accomplish anything: The only way to fight the system is from within. Be proud of your past and if any civillians give you shit, take comfort in the fact that you'll be signing their paychecks one day.

Dando out.
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Dando175 wrote: The only way to fight the system is from within
Words that I have lived my life by..."The man" is gonna' be sorry some day! Image
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Silverback wrote:
Dando175 wrote: The only way to fight the system is from within
Words that I have lived my life by..."The man" is gonna' be sorry some day! Image
Exactly! When you are in charge -- take charge. It is a lot easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Soul Snatcher
Ranger

Post by Soul Snatcher »

Bro, your going throug those Ranger withdrawls. I did it around the same time when I got out. Once you get into your major and become more of a civilian, you'll think more on your feet. I mean look at that DEP, he was in law enforcement for 9 years, now he wants to do what you gave up cause it's a change, but that kind of military/law enforcement stuff is all the same. The hard work, the drama with your brothers and leaders and all that. Just go to school and let it hit you, don't make a spontanious decision, cause your life is worth more then a "it sounds good" idea. Play with your majors.

Don't quit school or I'll come up to Seattle and beat your ass.
Aco. 1/75 2nd plt.
10-00
Getting hosed down by the local Police.

"I use to be in charge of million dollar equipment, now I can't get a job at the car wash!"
Ranger175csar
Ranger

Post by Ranger175csar »

Yup.... drive on. (anyone here have an engineering degree to copy and send him as a drive on degree?) :lol:

You will never get used to the shitbags though... or those who protect them to do nothing
Collins

1/75 HHC 94-96 S-4
RIP CLASS 7-94

Fuck em if they cant take a joke.....
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Spazrack175,
I have a Ranger Buddy who got out and went to skool for Bio-Engineering (something like that). The first couple of years really sucked for him. Now, he is very happy and has a kick ass job working out near Houston making big bank.

When I got out, it sucked like a motherfucker...... I could not figure out the "entitlement mentality" of most civillians. (always feeled owed for something). Just stick to the Creed and remember NEVER LOWER YOUR STANDARDS. It's O.K. to have high standards, those around you will never have the same drive. That being said, after a while, your standards and motivations WILL be noticed.

Look at what you're going through as like the first time you had to do a 30 mile road march. You'll be the one ready to fight when you get to the RP.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”