Question about removing metal clips from LCE

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
USC_CDT
Ranger

Question about removing metal clips from LCE

Post by USC_CDT »

Rangers-

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to properly remove the metal "meat hooks" from my LCE (the hooks that connect the LCE suspenders to the pistol belt) and replace them with 550 cord.

More specifically, what kind of knot should I use to connect the suspenders to the pistol belt?

Thank you.

CDT Bahler

PS I did use the search button as well as checked google but failed to find any helpful information.
RC 09-10
C Co 1-5IN
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

And you're going to be an officer?

Well, I'll give you some guidance. I shouldn't seeing as I was member of the Bruin Battalion for a year and a half before I got smart and decided to actually be a soldier. You see, most officers are politicans and.....well, I digress.

Check it out, because this is going to blow your fucking mind.

Those hooks in the back, get yourself a pair of pliers, a Leatherman, Gerber Multi-Tool, etc. and simply C-U-T them off. The whole thing, meaning the piece that actually runs through the nylon. Either way, you should have no metal in the back.

Then route some 550 cord thru one of the eyelets on your pistol belt, through the straps, back through the eyelets, back through the strap, etc. Trust me, this isn't brain surgery. Use a booger knot to begin with so the 550 cord won't slip through the inital eyelet and serves as an anchor. Run the cord through until you've reached the desired length and then booger knot it at the end.

One other thing. The Gummint frowns upon destruction of their property, so be prepared to either pay for a new set or buy your own and modify them.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

The Holmchicken wrote:One other thing. The Gummint frowns upon destruction of their property, so be prepared to either pay for a new set or buy your own and modify them.
why yes they do!
but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. 8)
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
USC_CDT
Ranger

Post by USC_CDT »

Thank you Ranger Holmchicken. I have a couple spare sets my Uncle threw my way after he was medically DQ'd from 1/75 a few years ago.
RC 09-10
C Co 1-5IN
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

USC_CDT wrote:Thank you Ranger Holmchicken. I have a couple spare sets my Uncle threw my way after he was medically DQ'd from 1/75 a few years ago.

and his name would be ?
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
USC_CDT
Ranger

Post by USC_CDT »

rgrpuck wrote:and his name would be ?
SPC Joseph Geraghty
RC 09-10
C Co 1-5IN
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

what...motherfucker?

I'd advise you to tighten your shot group, cadet, and address rgrpuck with his title when you answer his question.
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

what...motherfucker?

I'd advise you to tighten your shot group, cadet, and address rgrpuck with his title when you answer his question.
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
USC_CDT
Ranger

Post by USC_CDT »

My apologies Ranger Dando175 and Ranger rgrpuck. I meant no disrespect, I was just giving an answer to his question, and made the mistake of not addressing Ranger rgrpuck properly.

Ranger rgrpuck, I'll go ahead and push for that mistake (which I won't make again.)

CDT Bahler
RC 09-10
C Co 1-5IN
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I always thought it was illegal to remove the metal hooks, kind of like that tag that gets sewn onto the bottom of your mattress or sofa as it leaves the factory.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Spartan wrote:I always thought it was illegal to remove the metal hooks, kind of like that tag that gets sewn onto the bottom of your mattress or sofa as it leaves the factory.
Nobody sees it with a kidney pad over it! :D

As long as you had an inspection LBE and a receipt for buying one it didn't matter.

I still have meat hook scars on my back from way back when.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

Return to “Personal Gear”