Mountain Boot alternative?

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Mountain Climber
Infantryman

Mountain Boot alternative?

Post by Mountain Climber »

Being in NWTC I was supposed to get issued two pair of Mountain Boots upon arrival to the unit. However, because of my somewhat large feet (size 15) CIF didn't have any in stock. Upon trying to order them through Clothing and Sales, I soon found out the largest size the company makes is only 13...

Most likely I'm just going to end up being issued two more pairs of ICWs (since I don't have any other black boots and they are part of the Cadre Uniform). However, I was trying to look into what might be a good alternative to Mountain boots, something along the same lines as them.

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Rangers and Veterans.
JarHedSolja
Tadpole

Re: Mountain Boot alternative?

Post by JarHedSolja »

Mountain Climber wrote: However, because of my somewhat large feet (size 15) CIF didn't have any in stock.
God damn, Bigfoot!
1999-2001 USMC
2003-2006 1-148th INF (M)
2006-2009 585th MP Co
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

can't beat Danners. they may be pricey, but they are handmade here in the States, with a lifetime warranty. Got issued a set of the cordura uppers in Battalion, and bought a pair of all leathers to fly in. they are the best "military" looking cold weather boots I've seen. with looser standards of procurement, you may be able to buy some civilian brown or black boots, based on unit, but you'll never go wrong with Danners. check with your unit to see what's allowed, or required for color (black vs. tan w/ ACUs now) before you drop some change, and remember, you get what you pay for. It may be a big investment based on your pay, but buying quality boots costs. In the long run, you gotta take care of your feet.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Mountain Climber
Infantryman

Post by Mountain Climber »

Thank you for the advice Rangers. I really like the 600g Fort Lewis ones, espcially since they're built to withstand cold (can't hurt to have in Alaska). I'm going to e-mail my SL to see if they're allowed.

Thanks
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

600g may be too heavy for longer seasonal use. mine are 200g, and with good heavy wool socks (dry!) they were good to -25/30 at Drum for 4 winters. colder than that, you'll probably be in mukluks anyway.

talk to your unit and see what they say.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
apod
Embryo

Post by apod »

Try Lowa combat gtx with the goretex lining.Great boot .Plenty of ankle support and light enough for a mountain boot.Not jumpable though due to the hook and d-ring lacing system ,but if your not using them for that then it shouldnt be a problem :) Dont know where you can get them in the states but you can order them from the u.k online.
Try www.sofmilitary.co.uk.
Regards . :)
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

KW Driver wrote:600g may be too heavy for longer seasonal use. mine are 200g, and with good heavy wool socks (dry!) they were good to -25/30 at Drum for 4 winters. colder than that, you'll probably be in mukluks anyway.

talk to your unit and see what they say.
+1 - 600g are hot as fuck.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Crazy Mick wrote:Check out asolo or Scarpa. REI is haveing a sale on scarpas right now
Scarpas are the shit but getting a good selection here in the states sucks.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
ChipOnShoulder

Re: Mountain Boot alternative?

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

[quote="Mountain Climber"]Being in NWTC I was supposed to get issued two pair of Mountain Boots upon arrival to the unit. However, because of my somewhat large feet (size 15) CIF didn't have any in stock.

Looks like your in kind of a pickle, don't it?

The one piece of advice that was given to me by a German mountain soldier in Kosovo was to check the top toe area from the inside of the boot for insulation. If there is none, then you can count on your dogs gettin' cold.
SupplyRanger
Ranger

Post by SupplyRanger »

If you want a good pair of mountain boots try out a pair of Raichile mt trail boots. I think they may make your size. These are really awesome boots. We buy these for our guys to use over in the Mtns.
Ranger School CL# 04-05
SupplyRanger
Ranger

Post by SupplyRanger »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
SupplyRanger wrote:If you want a good pair of mountain boots try out a pair of Raichile mt trail boots. I think they may make your size. These are really awesome boots. We buy these for our guys to use over in the Mtns.
Your guys sound like a lucky bunch. :lol:
Yeah they are :lol: . What was your size again?
Ranger School CL# 04-05

Return to “Personal Gear”