Patient Assessment, somthing ALL 91W need to know.

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

Patient Assessment, somthing ALL 91W need to know.

Post by DirtyBlackSocks »

Alright, so while I'm told that once we hit whiskey phase everything you learn as a civilian EMT B goes out the window, these acronymns are key to getting through any of the MOD tests along with the NREMT.

The order of these steps are key in assessing a patient as far as the NREMT test itself goes. We've run into discussions as far as the actual test saying to check for a patent airway before controlling an arterial bleed, but don't think with your head, you need to learn the material in the book.

Always perform a thorough check on all of your equipment, routinely!

Patient Assessment:
Scene Size Up
BSI for my battle and I - Body Substance Isolation
Scene safety - Is the scene safe?
Mechanism of Injury ; Nature Of Illness (MOI/NOI)
Number of patients
Additional resources?
C-spine consideration

Initial Assessment
General impression
Level of conciousness
-Alert
-Verbal
-Pain
-Unresponsive
Chief complaint or apparent life threat
Airway; Open airway, insert airway adjunct
Breathing; Look listen and feel - rate, rhythym and quality; Check patient for chest wounds; High flow of oxygen at 15 Liters per minute
Circulation; Blood sweep; Pulse check - rate rhythym and quality
-Skin
Color
Temperature
Condition
Decision to transport - Load and go or stay and play? (Everyone's a load and go)

This is the first step to learning a basic patient assessment, I'll get into the Focus History and Physical Examination of an Unconcious Medical Patient when I have more spare time as it's got a lot more steps to take into consideration.

I hope this helps future DEPS preparing to be 91W, memorize these and you'll have a large head start on the NREMT.
"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart." Colonel Robert Ingersoll

"Some where, you learn not to defend your actions and just drive on." Ranger Caruthers
91W
USAR

Re: Patient Assessment, somthing ALL 91W need to know.

Post by 91W »

DirtyBlackSocks wrote:Alright, so while I'm told that once we hit whiskey phase everything you learn as a civilian EMT B goes out the window, these acronymns are key to getting through any of the MOD tests along with the NREMT.
Not to be an Asshole but you are wrong. We recently had a paramedic practical exam at are service and no less than 4 failed it do to failing the basic skill. EVERYTHING you learn will build upon the other. Believing this will set you up for failure in the long run. Keep up the hard work and always go back and refresh what you have learned. In ten years if you can score above 90% on a NREMT B test you should still be a great medic.

If you ever get your Paramedic remember Paramedics save lives EMT's save Paramedics. Always start basic and then move on. The only part of my civilian training that went out the window in Iraq was Scene Safety, and I have got my ass chewed out for thinking the same since returning home :D
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

91W wrote:
DirtyBlackSocks wrote:Alright, so while I'm told that once we hit whiskey phase everything you learn as a civilian EMT B goes out the window, these acronymns are key to getting through any of the MOD tests along with the NREMT.
Not to be an Asshole but you are wrong. We recently had a paramedic practical exam at are service and no less than 4 failed it do to failing the basic skill. EVERYTHING you learn will build upon the other. Believing this will set you up for failure in the long run. Keep up the hard work and always go back and refresh what you have learned. In ten years if you can score above 90% on a NREMT B test you should still be a great medic.

If you ever get your Paramedic remember Paramedics save lives EMT's save Paramedics. Always start basic and then move on. The only part of my civilian training that went out the window in Iraq was Scene Safety, and I have got my ass chewed out for thinking the same since returning home :D
Roger that 91W. :lol:

Imagine that, the army doing somthing that makes sense in training!
"The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart." Colonel Robert Ingersoll

"Some where, you learn not to defend your actions and just drive on." Ranger Caruthers
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

DirtyBlackSocks wrote:
91W wrote:

How long have you been in the Army there slick dick? Definitely not long enough to be talking shit on the Army...
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
DirtyBlackSocks
Tadpole

Silverback wrote:
DirtyBlackSocks wrote:
91W wrote: Not to be an Asshole but you are wrong. We recently had a paramedic practical exam at are service and no less than 4 failed it do to failing the basic skill. EVERYTHING you learn will build upon the other. Believing this will set you up for failure in the long run. Keep up the hard work and always go back and refresh what you have learned. In ten years if you can score above 90% on a NREMT B test you should still be a great medic.

How long have you been in the Army there slick dick? Definitely not long enough to be talking shit on the Army...
Ranger Silverback,

It was a joke in reference to all the backwards things the Drill SGT's have us do for their own sick amusement. I love the Army, best job in the world.

The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Shut the fuck up cherry. Goddamn mouthy, salty private. Know your roll and close you're man pleaser.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Doc wrote:Dirty,

I have attempted to give you some latitude by allowing you to pass along information you are currently being exposed to. This courtesy seems a little premature however, in that I find you are inciting the same bashing you seem to garner in every other forum you post in. This will not take place in this section.

Therefore, you will not post in the Medical Issues section until so advised. By not posting, it will accomplish several things: You will not cause anyone to have to counsel you / You will get more study time (which is why you are in AIT) / It will keep me from having to sort through your posts making disclaimers and corrections .

I consider the matter closed unless I decide differently or I am instructed by an administrator to change my mind.

Check Six,
Doc
Our Medical Moderators have complete authority over this area, so you'd better pull your head out of your ass son. Failure to listen to what any of them say will result in a swift ban.
Ranger175csar
Ranger

Post by Ranger175csar »

91W wrote:The only part of my civilian training that went out the window in Iraq was Scene Safety, and I have got my ass chewed out for thinking the same since returning home :D

Man.. ya have to wait for LE to clear the scene first... WTF... :shock:
Collins

1/75 HHC 94-96 S-4
RIP CLASS 7-94

Fuck em if they cant take a joke.....
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

Ranger175csar wrote:
91W wrote:The only part of my civilian training that went out the window in Iraq was Scene Safety, and I have got my ass chewed out for thinking the same since returning home :D

Man.. ya have to wait for LE to clear the scene first... WTF... :shock:
Ranger Ranger175csar I forgot I wasn't wearing an IBA and carrying an M4. :D It was a simple stabbing that the pt was outside so I used my judgment and scooped and ran. When LE showed up they were wondering where the Pt was, we were about two blocks away, and the boss wasn't very happy about that one.

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

You have not EVEN graduated from AIT......

At your rate you might not ...............

Sense the Heathen is currently Busy .....

SHUT THE FUCK UP
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

Doc wrote:Dirty,

I have attempted to give you some latitude by allowing you to pass along information you are currently being exposed to. This courtesy seems a little premature however, in that I find you are inciting the same bashing you seem to garner in every other forum you post in. This will not take place in this section.

Therefore, you will not post in the Medical Issues section until so advised. By not posting, it will accomplish several things: You will not cause anyone to have to counsel you / You will get more study time (which is why you are in AIT) / It will keep me from having to sort through your posts making disclaimers and corrections .

I consider the matter closed unless I decide differently or I am instructed by an administrator to change my mind.

Check Six,
Doc
Doc PM Sent

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT

Return to “Medical Issues”