Getting out of the chair...

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

DirtyBlackSocks wrote:I've recently been through BASIC training although I had a 60% on all areas when I joined. Some of the guys that went in were severely overweight and could barely do the 16 push ups and complete the 2 mile run in 18 minutes to get out of Reception.

The pace set in basic training now is a joke to be honest, you'll get in good shape based around the food they feed you and being active all day, I wouldn't hold back on joining simply because you're out of shape.

When I went in I was at 60% and if I didn't have broken bones I'd likely be at 100% right now, the medic's do a lot more physical training, though. (You get the piss smoked out of you in reception and during the first few weeks of AIT).

Enjoyable experience so far, though, definately rewarding. I say go for it.
1. shut the fuck up cherry

2. no one cares or wants to listen to you

3. see number one
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

Once again. Thanks for the advice. Especially CHCB.

I took a couple of days off from running and decided to time myself this morning as I was feeling pretty good after my upper body workout.

16:47:32 2-Mile (from 17:25:23) - Score of 68

Damn this feels good. I'm pretty fucking excited about my level of fitness so far. I'm just waiting for Murphy to jump out of the bushes and chop my legs out from underneath me. :lol:

DEP went and dirtied up my post. DBS, beat your damn face.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

DBS, beat your damn face.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Splat, I have been following your post. Many of us share in your decline. Just look at our pics of the Ocoee trips. :lol: :lol: :lol:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

Splat wrote:Once again. Thanks for the advice. Especially CHCB.

I took a couple of days off from running and decided to time myself this morning as I was feeling pretty good after my upper body workout.

16:47:32 2-Mile (from 17:25:23) - Score of 68

Damn this feels good. I'm pretty fucking excited about my level of fitness so far. I'm just waiting for Murphy to jump out of the bushes and chop my legs out from underneath me. :lol:

DEP went and dirtied up my post. DBS, beat your damn face.
Way to go, brother!

Murphy can be avoided by sticking with your plan and ensuring you maintain flexibility in your joints. Are you stretching after every run?

There has been a lot of misinformation about stretching going around. The biggest lie is that pre-event stretching causes more injuries than it prevents. As with most myths, there is a kernel of truth that gets distorted. What IS true is that stretching cold muscles can injure them. What is also true, and widely unknown or ignored, is that it takes 8-10 minutes to warm muscles thoroughly. There is NO shortcut. A brisk walk or slow jog for 8-10 minutes before stretching renders the myth untrue. Most people aren't willing to spend that much time warming up, THEN stretching. If you don't have time, DO warm up and skip the stretch, but never SKIP the warm-up and do the stretch.

Second issue with stretching: you have to hold a static stretch for 30-45 seconds to obtain any increase in flexibility. During that 30-45 seconds, you should be attempting to increase the stretch, ever so slightly, each time you exhale. Stretch after every run. Build time into your workout schedule for it. It prevents chronic injuries like shin splints and Achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis, ITB Friction syndrome, etc. All the things generally attributed to Murphy.

Again, way to go! Stay the course, incremental changes are lasting changes!
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

Damn Rangers... I found some old pics from last year. Probably around 195+ back then. This is the kind of shit that you should never post online, but I'm going to. Self motivation!!

July 04, 2005...

July 02, 2006...

A few weeks shy of one of those bowflex commercials! :lol: :lol:
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

Start of Week 6.

APFT Results:

50 Push-Ups ( from 48 ) - Score of 74
51 Sit-Ups ( from 45 ) - Score of 71
16:47:32 2-Mile ( from 17:25:23 ) - Score of 68 ( Saturday )

The improvements are slowing a tad, but I feel like I'm in much better shape than when I started. Once again, I appreciate all of the advice and well wishes that I have received here.

My before and after photos really helped me over the mental hurdle that I was putting in front of myself.

This week I'm going to be working on diamond and wide-arm push-ups. I haven't really focused on improving my score by doing push-ups. I've been lifting (more reps / less weight), but if I want to improve my scores, I'll have to hit the slab as well. Seems like a no-brainer, but I get so focused on the bowflex that I neglect the basics.

Once again, probably alot of boring shit for most of you. I'll say it again, this is really a 'blog' for me to keep track of where I've been and for others that want to follow along or provide suggestions.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

CHCB wrote:Are you stretching after every run?
I do a little light excercise before working out and running. Jumping jacks, squat bends, bouncing on my toes, trunk twisters (not over extending), fire engines, etc. Some really light stretching after that and then I work out for 30 - 45 minutes ... a little more light stretching of the hamstrings, calves, groin, and quads ... and then go on a run. I walk around for a bit to cool down and then do some deep stretching.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Don't neglect chin-ups/pull-ups. They are the squat for the upper body.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Ranger Splat, are you using a HRM in your training?

I started hitting the gym in January, and bought a Polar F1 HRM, and have been charting my progress. I've gotten my resting HR under 60 (it was 74), and I've dropped 28 pounds (thats with a 7 week layoff in the middle for my herniated disc and back surgery).

If you think you turned into a marshmallow, I was the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

I have to stretch several times a day to gain flexibility in the left hamstring and calf as I recover from the nerve damage. I've been doing partner-resisted hamstring stretches with the physical therapist I've been seeing since my surgery in April.

I still have a long way to go, but the weight didn't go on in a short period of time, and it will take some time to get it all off and keep it off.

My workouts consist of 10-minute warmup on the treadmill, followed by stretching, then weight-training for about 45 minutes, and then 45 minutes of cardio either on the elliptical or stationary bike, followed by more stretching. I constantly find myself stretching the hamstrings and calves throughout the day.

I'll have to say that being a member of this board, and the new job I started a year ago are largely responsible for my new found focus on my personal well being. I've not had that mental clarity during working out since I was on Active Duty nearly 20 years ago.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
RBL_M1A2Tanker
US Army Veteran

Post by RBL_M1A2Tanker »

CHCB wrote:
Way to go, brother!

Murphy can be avoided by sticking with your plan and ensuring you maintain flexibility in your joints. Are you stretching after every run?

There has been a lot of misinformation about stretching going around. The biggest lie is that pre-event stretching causes more injuries than it prevents. As with most myths, there is a kernel of truth that gets distorted. What IS true is that stretching cold muscles can injure them. What is also true, and widely unknown or ignored, is that it takes 8-10 minutes to warm muscles thoroughly. There is NO shortcut. A brisk walk or slow jog for 8-10 minutes before stretching renders the myth untrue. Most people aren't willing to spend that much time warming up, THEN stretching. If you don't have time, DO warm up and skip the stretch, but never SKIP the warm-up and do the stretch.

Second issue with stretching: you have to hold a static stretch for 30-45 seconds to obtain any increase in flexibility. During that 30-45 seconds, you should be attempting to increase the stretch, ever so slightly, each time you exhale. Stretch after every run. Build time into your workout schedule for it. It prevents chronic injuries like shin splints and Achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis, ITB Friction syndrome, etc. All the things generally attributed to Murphy.

Again, way to go! Stay the course, incremental changes are lasting changes!
Damn that's good information. Been working out myself to get back in shape, and I could certainly use this.

I should have known better too. Hell I did once. Screwed up and forgot it in the hustle and bustle of moving twice in short succession.

Appreciate the info, I'll defiantely put that into use.

Splat, that's kick ass work! Helluva inspiration. :)
EvilCouch wrote: "CDAT? Coffin of Death, with A Turret?"

RBL_M1A2Tanker wrote: "I like that...when I die I want to have a turret on the coffin. I want people to trip over my big gun when I'm buried...till the grounds keepers get tired of mowing around it and cut it off with a hacksaw..."

SGT, US Army (Reserve)
A Co 1-8 Cav, 1st Cav 98-00
D Co 2/334/9/84th Inf Div (IT) 00-05
ETSed Sept 05
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

As I mentioned in the other post, I'm down to 175 now. Working on maintaining that weight.

I ran 7 miles yesterday. Realize that I need new running shoes....

Now working on increasing muscle mass and have switched to a very high protein / low carb diet. I am hoping to find that balance as I dropped these last five pounds pretty quickly compared to the previous weeks.

I will do another APFT next week. My hip is a little fucked after yesterday. I'll probably be on the bike the rest of the week.

After I get rid of the remaining fat around my waist, I'll start increasing the carbs again.. but slowly.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

Cool site (tied to google maps). You basically find your starting point, start recording, and double click the map for each point. It will calculate distance / calories burned, etc.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

I also grabbed a new pair of running shoes yesterday. Tried on about 10 different brands. This will be a good starter pair for extending my runs beyond the 7 mile range.

http://www.asicsamerica.com/product.asp ... =250001173
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

Start of Week 11.

APFT Results:

63 Push-Ups ( from 50 ) - Score of 90
67 Sit-Ups ( from 51 ) - Score of 89
14:58:04 2-Mile ( from 16:47:32 ) - Score of 85

This will probably be my last APFT update. I'm sure that I will continue to improve if I stick with my eating and exercise plan.

I'm down to 170 lbs. I am running no less than 3 miles every other day. I am running up to 9 miles on the weekend.

There is only one problem with the longer runs. Even with the new shoes, I'm having a lot of pain in my right hip. I tried switching my route up, taking longer strides, etc. Going to have to see a doc at some point. I'd like to be able to run in the Detroit Marathon in October.

I feel better than I've felt in many years. I am very healthy, mentally and physically. This log and your comments have helped tremendously.

CHCB... Sir, you are an inspiration.
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Splat
Ranger

Post by Splat »

I'll post it here as I'm still running, etc.

Split from my wife. Living the bachelor life. Second divorce ... and last. I'm fuckin' done.

Still running and lifting. Down to about 165 now. Went from a 36" waist to a 32" waist. I am probably in better shape now than I was when I was in (I'm not beating the shit out of my body and I'm eating healthy). Going to be running the half-marathon in Detroit at the end of October.

First beer in about a month... so feeling inclined to spew on the forums. Next vacation.... hmmm... Thailand?
-Splat
HHC 3/22 (88 - 92)
C co 3/75 (93 - 94)
Ranger Class 1-90
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Nice progress on both accounts. See you on the 16th of September.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “About Army Physical Training”