13Foxtrot..........Forward Observers

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Re: 13Foxtrot..........Forward Observers

Post by Horned Toad »

snakecharmer wrote:Due to my lack of knowledge of the combat arms MOS's that reside in the Ranger Regiment, it is my question of 13F "Forward Observers" Does the Ranger Batts and Company's have 13F Forward Obsrervers as a "COMMON" MOS that are iether attached too, or serve with the Ranger Batts? If they are attached too the batts, where are there coming from? The 3rd Infantry, another infantry division or brigade? or is 13F one of the needed MOS"s of the Ranger Batts? Do they call in 105, mortar, naval, air?

I looked high and wide and did not see this on the forum anywhere. I apologize if this has been answered before.
They are not attached from other units; they go through RIP and are members of the 75th. As far as calls for fire about the only thing you don’t call in is 105, the Ranger mission usually does not have you anywhere near artillery. It is one of the best jobs in the Rangers as far as I am concerned, but then I got out a 13F2VW8 :P
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

snakecharmer wrote:Due to my lack of knowledge of the combat arms MOS's that reside in the Ranger Regiment, it is my question of 13F "Forward Observers" Does the Ranger Batts and Company's have 13F Forward Obsrervers as a "COMMON" MOS that are iether attached too, or serve with the Ranger Batts? If they are attached too the batts, where are there coming from? The 3rd Infantry, another infantry division or brigade? or is 13F one of the needed MOS"s of the Ranger Batts? Do they call in 105, mortar, naval, air?

I looked high and wide and did not see this on the forum anywhere. I apologize if this has been answered before.

Don't you think if there are mortars there wuld have to be an FO somewhere right
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Horned Toad wrote:They are not attached from other units; they go through RIP and are members of the 75th. As far as calls for fire about the only thing you don’t call in is 105, the Ranger mission usually does not have you anywhere near artillery. It is one of the best jobs in the Rangers as far as I am concerned, but then I got out a 13F2VW8 :P
They were in Puerto Rico in early '89 when we were down there. It was practically going right over our heads. That was some good shit. :D

snakecharmer, FO's in the Regt are probably the best in the Army. They do everything right there with everyone else. I know our FO's were shit hot!
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

AbnRgr289 wrote:
Horned Toad wrote:They are not attached from other units; they go through RIP and are members of the 75th. As far as calls for fire about the only thing you don’t call in is 105, the Ranger mission usually does not have you anywhere near artillery. It is one of the best jobs in the Rangers as far as I am concerned, but then I got out a 13F2VW8 :P
They were in Puerto Rico in early '89 when we were down there. It was practically going right over our heads. That was some good shit. :D

snakecharmer, FO's in the Regt are probably the best in the Army. They do everything right there with everyone else. I know our FO's were shit hot!
can only remember shooting 105s once in 4 years; it was fun but got old quick compared to all the other assets
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
EvilCouch
Ranger

Re: Logic would dictate...............

Post by EvilCouch »

snakecharmer wrote:My reason for asking for is that one of the recent graduates of my local county highschool is going with the option 40 contract and was told the only way is with an 11X series MOS. How does one get 13F and a contract to RIP/BATT etc? ? or does he?
Sounds like the typical recruiter bullshit that they feed to kids so they can meet their quota.

13foxes can get RIP contracts. I had a handfull go through RIP with me that way.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Horned Toad wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote:

can only remember shooting 105s once in 4 years; it was fun but got old quick compared to all the other assets
That was the only time I was around them, and the other assets are much better! :D

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

AbnRgr289 wrote:

I remember that shit! Are you talking about that CALFX where they basically blew the top off that fucking mountain?
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

RangerX wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote:

I remember that shit! Are you talking about that CALFX where they basically blew the top off that fucking mountain?
That's it!

I think there was a Battery of 105's there.

Aco and Bco combined Mortar sections for that live fire, and there was allot of shit sent down range that day.

Torch1c was assaulting the OBJ and said every thing was danger close.

I got my picture in Soldiers magazine from that live fire! :D

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Wh needs 105s now anyway the mortars now have 120s
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
spanky
Ranger

Post by spanky »

When you're an FO in one of the Ranger Battalions, you get to play with everything and anything in terms of fire support. We got to do F-111 beacon bombing, 155mm artillery, M19 and M224 mortars, attack helicopters, and even had F-4 Phantoms dropping bombs under illumination rockets from Cobras. Not to mention the AC-130 and little birds. 8) You know you're getting to be an old fart when you remember the weapons section with M19s and 90mm recoilless rifles. :lol:
RGR Class 8-78
A Team FIST, HHC, 1/75 80-82 Hunter AAF

An Armed Society is a Polite Society
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: The bad thing is..................

Post by AbnRgr289 »

snakecharmer wrote:The bad thing is about being an Airborne "GUN BUNNY" is .............well.....................being a "GUN BUNNY" but never getting to see the shit that you BLOW UP!!!! We only here of it from the guys in the front! :twisted: 8)
The same thing with being an 11c......

Unless your firing a M224 hand held! :D

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”