DEPS REPORT!!!

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Bugsy
Ranger

DEPS REPORT!!!

Post by Bugsy »

For all of you wannabe's I want each of you to do a forum search on former DEP and ArmyRanger.com guest Three Fifty. And report back what you "think" you learned from his time here and the decisions that he eventually made. You have 72 hours to report.

Question: "what are you prepared to do"
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

HURRY THE FUCK UP!!!!!
RSD 96-99
Table of Elements Skater
Future Soldier

Post by Table of Elements Skater »

Ranger Bugsy,

What I learned from Three Fifty is that talk is cheap.

He typed squared away, acted squared away, posted how he would never quit. We IMd each other, bullshitting on how sweet its going to be when he becomes a Ranger and I become SF. In the end all the things he said are worthless to me. He is a lier.

Im prepared to do anything. Ive already told my family that if anything happens at home while im in training not to tell me. I want no outside distractions. Its not that I dont care, its that I want to be 100% focused on my goal. Ive lost contact with some of my good friends and their life styles so I can maintain my desire to be the best. It hasn't been easy, but its something I had to do. Nothing will get in the way of my future. I am prepared to do anything.
Barnett
Ranger

Post by Barnett »

Ranger Bugsy, after a little research this is what I dug up and learned:

Three fifty, was a 23 year old powerlifter, who said that he had wanted to be a Ranger for some time, when he first came to this site. He stopped powerlifting and laid off the supplements he was taking in order to increase runtime. He seemed motivated towards his goal and I believe that he truly did want to be an Army Ranger, I conclude that because of his activity in the site before his shipping, as well as how he seemed in the Sitrep's that he sent back.

After Three Fifty and Ranger SunDevilWrestler completed OSUT, with Ranger SunDevilWrestler, as honor grad, he stated that he would be happy now that he could concentrate even more on PT. This implies that after OSUT, he was still quite concentrated on becoming a Ranger. Though also at this time, he obviously had another issue on his mind, marriage. I say this since usually marriage is not a sudden thing and he had to be at least considering it this close to where he went AWOL.

In airborne, he obviously lost motivation, he did not inform his battle buddy of his plans or that he was even planning on getting married period. This was a major mistake, you are supposed to always be able to trust your battle buddy. You two should rely on each other for everything, your lives very well may depend on it someday.

Ranger SunDevilWrestler proably could have talked to him and shown him that he was wrong, as well as further motivated him. I think that Three Fifty's biggest mistake was definently not communicating with his buddy. There is a reason Ranger SunDevilWrestler is where he is now, he didnt quit. Three fifty proably could have been where Ranger SunDevilWrestler is right now even if Ranger SDW would have had to carry him, if he would have just consorted with him, instead of keeping him in the dark.

Some people may say LOM, I say lack of trust. The lesson to be learned ultimately, is if you plan on trusting your buddy with your life, you should trust him at all times.

What I learned was if I am having doubts rely on my buddy, inform my buddy, trust my buddy, and he should be able to say the same and expect the same of you.
RIP Class 02-07
JAN 2007 - 3rd Ranger BN

Mentored by Ranger bmf175.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Trust him with your life, not your money or your wife. :twisted:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

wezol wrote:Ranger Bugsy,

One thing I leard about threefifty, is that motivation can be lost at any time.

He was 23 years old and quit a husky fellow. He was an extremely motivated individual, he went from 25% BF to 15.49% BF in only 60 days. Thats movitation.

Always trust in your battle buddy. If only threefifty would of trusted in Ranger SunDevilWrestler, Im positive he would of made it. Ranger SunDevilWrestler would have carried him through.

No outside distractions. Keep motivated, focus, and follow through. Things at home (like getting married) can be dealt with later.

Respectfully,
Dylan
:roll:
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
i'm a pussy
Embryo

Post by i'm a pussy »

Ranger Bugsy,

I have learned that talk is cheap. It does not matter how well you talk the talk or how squared away you think you are - when it comes down to a time of testing, whether you succeed or fail will depend on your dedication and strength of will.

ThreeFifty was a perfect candidate. In everything he said and did, he seemed squared away. He obviously started out as motivated as any of us DEPS, his performance in OSUT proves he was. However, somewhere along the line he lost sight of his dream.

ThreeFifty lost his chance at the honor of donning a tan beret and bearing the Ranger title and his failure should be a warning to all of us DEPs to keep ourselves sharp and focused so that we don't follow in his path.
"Olympus Proeliator:
Vado amo Abyssus. Nunquam Trado."
Romans 5:3b-4: we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.
Runner
Ranger

Post by Runner »

Ranger Bugsy,

From 350, I learned that sitting in your house on the computer it becomes easy to say "I want to be a Ranger, I will never quit", but when you are there, doing it, stressed out and actually being put to the test, will you still want it? If so, will you want it bad enough? I believe this is a perfect example of the situation many Rangers here have attested to, where you find yourself surrounded by jacked studs on the first day of RIP or OSUT, then find out later that they're the first to quit. Bottom line, from appearance alone, physical or mental, it is impossible to forsee how one will react under pressure. Actions speak louder than words.

Malarkey
A co 3/75 '07-'10
adam26
Embryo

Post by adam26 »

I learned that no matter how squared away that you really are, it is important to have all of your personal shit at home straight so there can be no distractions during your journey to being a Ranger. I believe from what I read from 3fifty, he really did want it, but he got distracted by matters from his personal life..........or maybe he really didn't want it that badly, there really is no way to know for sure. In any case, there is no excuse for quitting once you talked like he did.
DEP
Ship date: 20060525

"Never quit."
Lost Thing
Tadpole

Post by Lost Thing »

Ranger Bugsy,

Three Fifty failed to remain focused on his goal. He allowed outside distractions to come in and he reacted without thinking clearly. In failing to allow that outside influence creep into his mind he showed weakness. He was unable to remain focused because of that failure his actions will always be a label to the type of individual he is.

I am prepared to do whatever it takes to reach my goal. I will not allow anything that can deter me from that goal to enter my mind and weaken my ability to continue driving foward.
Ship date - 11 May 2006

Ranger 18C4V's Mentee
joeviper
Embryo

Post by joeviper »

Ranger Bugsy

I learned from three fifty that saying that I will never quit doesn't mean shit, saying one thing and actually doing it are harder than appears, and that personal life should not get in the way of my task at hand. I don't think three fifty wanted as bad as he seemed to wanted.

I'm prepared to continue working myself physically; and mentally to leave all my problems from my old life behind and focus all my attention on becoming a Ranger and keeping my attention there.
Fennidh
Embryo

Post by Fennidh »

Ranger Bugsy,

I learned that it is all about heart. From what I gather about Three Fifty was that he was motivated which notes the right mental attitude. He was capable of the PT and other strenuous activities which notes he had the right physical powers. He however went AWOL which notes a lack of the proper spirit...or heart. Something separate from both the mind and body yet equally important in the achievement of great things. Many have pointed out throughout time the importance of all three. We find that exceptional individuals such as Rangers as well as their counterparts throughout history are also exceptional in all three aspects of what makes a human, not just one or two. All one must do to see the reality of this is look to the pasts history and mythology. From Arthur, Cuchulain, or Vercingetorix to Danial Boon, or Davy Crockett; all strong of mind, body, and spirit and all remembered throughout time. Three Fifty talked the talk, he walked the walk, but he didn't have the heart. As a consequence he will never join the ranks of heros for he was incomplete.

As far as what I am prepared to do. Something my wrestling coach told us all the time comes to mind. "You can only control you. You can only control how hard you train, how much you push yourself, how much you focus on technique. You can't control how good the other guy is, what the circumstances may be, if you get hurt, or how things may happen. All you can do is to be your best no matter what, and never stop at it. Good isn't good enough if better is possible". That is exactly what I intend to do and right now good isn't good enough cause better IS possible. I'm a damn far cry away from where I need to be. Sure I'm light years ahead of were I was back in late Jan when I figured out this is what I want to do but better is very possible. So I'll just keep pushing it and if better is always possible then I'll just keep pushing it till the day I die.
Mar sin Leat.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

For each of you who have responded there is no one correct answer other than to observe what DIDN'T WORK in spite of what "seemed" to be excellent effort from 3-Fifty up until RIP approached.

The key in this lesson is to learn from his mistakes and adjust fire to achieve your objective.

Talk is cheap, but remaining truly focused, properly prepared with fierce and unmoveable determination as your foundation is the key to your success.

Your desire to become a Ranger will test your mental as well as physical resolve in a manner in which most of you, if not all have never experienced before in your life.

WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO DO!!!
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:

Return to “The Mosh Pit”