96B

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
El Dave
Embryo

96B

Post by El Dave »

I am in the process of enlisting in the Army. I've taken the ASVAB and have decent scores. I haven't been to MEPS yet to take a physical as I have a few more pounds to drop to meet standards. I'm working out several days a week with my recruiter to fix that issue. I'll spare the details as I spoke about it in my intro.

Now to the meat of my post When I finally am able to go to the career counselor I am going to go for 96B/Airborne. Right now I believe I have the mental desire to become a Ranger but my body does not agree. BCT + AIT + Airborne based on my reading here and elsewhere would not be enough time to prepare either, if Option 40 is even available with a 96B contract.

As of now my plan is to enlist as a 96B with Airborne and then learn my job as best as possible, work on physical conditioning and becoming the best overall Soldier as I possibly can. If after a year or two I have not failed myself and feel that I am ready to embark on the path to becoming a Ranger I will then do so.

My real question is about how that process works (My understanding is that I would request reassignment to the Ranger Regiment and then go to RIP?). From what I remember from my reading, Ranger IntelToad was a 96B so perhaps if he is willing he could shed some light on this.

How many 96B slots are there per batallion? How competitive is it to even go to RIP as a 96B? What is the daily life of a 96B in the Regiment like?

Thank you for your advice.

- Dave
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

El Dave wrote:How many 96B slots are there per batallion? How competitive is it to even go to RIP as a 96B? What is the daily life of a 96B in the Regiment like?
These are questions that will probably not get answered do to OPSEC. They are questions that will get answered later on during your training if and when you go.

Use the search button and read. It's a little early in your membership here to be asking a whole lot of questions.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
El Dave
Embryo

Post by El Dave »

Use the search button and read. It's a little early in your membership here to be asking a whole lot of questions.
I apologize for jumping the gun, Ranger AbnRgr289, I lurked here for a few weeks prior to registering and will continue to do so for a while before asking any further questions.
Mason
Soldier

Post by Mason »

El Dave, check your PM
20th SFG(A) 2006-

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

From what I remember from my reading, Ranger IntelToad was a 96B so perhaps if he is willing he could shed some light on this.
Yep, so was Ranger Mitch. We had a few 96B's come to Regiment that were NCO's but most of us came straight out of AIT.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
El Dave
Embryo

Post by El Dave »

IntelToad wrote:
From what I remember from my reading, Ranger IntelToad was a 96B so perhaps if he is willing he could shed some light on this.
Yep, so was Ranger Mitch. We had a few 96B's come to Regiment that were NCO's but most of us came straight out of AIT.
Ranger IntelToad, how did that work? Did Option 40 exist for 96B or was it needs of the Army?
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

Worked like this I signed a contract stating upon completion of 96B training I would then attend Airborne School upon successful completion I would then be sent to RIP and upon successful completion I would then be assigned to a Ranger unit. The key word here is successful completion of all pre-reqs. I wasn't a smart man but I do remember somebody telling me don't sign shit unless it says Airborne/Ranger in writing. This was over 10 years ago so I don't know how they work it know. For all I know everything is done through online correspondence courses. You don't even have to jump in Airborne school if you score high enough on your video game sim.

Why do you want to be a 96B anyway. No seriously I would like an answer. If it is embarrassing feel free to PM me, I promise not to laugh so loud that you will here me.

So daily life of 96B in BN is like this. Show up for PT formation (if you want to, it is optional), do PT (ha, ha). Eat at the chow hall. Eat at the chow hall (I know I said it twice). Go to the batcave produce the proper biometric identification, gain access. Take the 808 to Langley talk with the chief, back for lunch chow x 2, save some shithole 3rd world country from a leftist coup in the afternoon or maybe start a right wing coup in some shithole 3rd world country depending on the lunar phase. Chow hall again for supper then head down to river street for tasty adult beverages. Also in your free time use govenment assets to research MJ-13, who killed Kennedy and various other conspiracy theories. And that is on a slow day.

On the busy days you prep for a jump like normal with the rest of the BN but right before rigging up you don your 007 Tuxedo beneath your BDUs and once you hit the ground you ditch the BDUs and sport the TUX to the local embassy, migle and play blackjack with number 2.

Any further questions? Bueller, Bueller, Anyone?
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Mitch wrote:Worked like this I signed a contract stating upon completion of 96B training I would then attend Airborne School upon successful completion I would then be sent to RIP and upon successful completion I would then be assigned to a Ranger unit. The key word here is successful completion of all pre-reqs. I wasn't a smart man but I do remember somebody telling me don't sign shit unless it says Airborne/Ranger in writing. This was over 10 years ago so I don't know how they work it know. For all I know everything is done through online correspondence courses. You don't even have to jump in Airborne school if you score high enough on your video game sim.

Why do you want to be a 96B anyway. No seriously I would like an answer. If it is embarrassing feel free to PM me, I promise not to laugh so loud that you will here me.

So daily life of 96B in BN is like this. Show up for PT formation (if you want to, it is optional), do PT (ha, ha). Eat at the chow hall. Eat at the chow hall (I know I said it twice). Go to the batcave produce the proper biometric identification, gain access. Take the 808 to Langley talk with the chief, back for lunch chow x 2, save some shithole 3rd world country from a leftist coup in the afternoon or maybe start a right wing coup in some shithole 3rd world country depending on the lunar phase. Chow hall again for supper then head down to river street for tasty adult beverages. Also in your free time use govenment assets to research MJ-13, who killed Kennedy and various other conspiracy theories. And that is on a slow day.

On the busy days you prep for a jump like normal with the rest of the BN but right before rigging up you don your 007 Tuxedo beneath your BDUs and once you hit the ground you ditch the BDUs and sport the TUX to the local embassy, migle and play blackjack with number 2.

Classic ..... :shock: wait ...were the fuck was I ?
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

rgrpuck wrote:
Mitch wrote:Worked like this I signed a contract stating upon completion of 96B training I would then attend Airborne School upon successful completion I would then be sent to RIP and upon successful completion I would then be assigned to a Ranger unit. The key word here is successful completion of all pre-reqs. I wasn't a smart man but I do remember somebody telling me don't sign shit unless it says Airborne/Ranger in writing. This was over 10 years ago so I don't know how they work it know. For all I know everything is done through online correspondence courses. You don't even have to jump in Airborne school if you score high enough on your video game sim.

I probably still hate hurt feelings from you smoking the shit out of me at RIP so I didn't invite you :lol:
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Mitch wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:

I probably still hate hurt feelings from you smoking the shit out of me at RIP so I didn't invite you :lol:
So it bites me in the ass one more time ... :lol:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

El Dave
Embryo

Post by El Dave »

Ranger Mitch, I mean no disrespect with my reply. I have no illusions about the 96B MOS or MI field in general being 007 or Hollywood type fanatasy bullshit. As a person I thrive on information and have an interest in world affairs, correct me if I have some large misconceptions but I believe I would be well suited by the 96B MOS. Also I know a former 96B who was in for 10+ years who had a rather interesting career.

One of my possible worries is being stuck behind a desk 90% of the time which seems to be a toss up depending on what type of unit you are assigned to as a 96B. What I'm trying to say is I would rather be playing in the dirt than sitting behind a desk, I have the rest of my life to do that if I don't make a career out of the Army; At the same I also want something mentally challenging. This is my honest reply, if you have any other questions regarding my motivations ask and I will answer as truthfully as possible.

Ranger Mitch, On side note could you clarify how much time is spent in the field vs. at a desk in various units? My former 96B friend said that you could hardly be in the field (Say Division and above) or in the field half of the time if assigned to say an Infantry Battalion. Maybe with these odds (I feel I would be bored out of my mind if I were sitting at a desk all the time) I should be looking at another MOS (11x has been on the back of my mind for a while).
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

El Dave wrote:
Ranger Mitch, I mean no disrespect with my reply. I have no illusions about the 96B MOS or MI field in general being 007 or Hollywood type fanatasy bullshit. As a person I thrive on information and have an interest in world affairs, correct me if I have some large misconceptions but I believe I would be well suited by the 96B MOS. Also I know a former 96B who was in for 10+ years who had a rather interesting career.

One of my possible worries is being stuck behind a desk 90% of the time which seems to be a toss up depending on what type of unit you are assigned to as a 96B. What I'm trying to say is I would rather be playing in the dirt than sitting behind a desk, I have the rest of my life to do that if I don't make a career out of the Army; At the same I also want something mentally challenging. This is my honest reply, if you have any other questions regarding my motivations ask and I will answer as truthfully as possible.

Ranger Mitch, On side note could you clarify how much time is spent in the field vs. at a desk in various units? My former 96B friend said that you could hardly be in the field (Say Division and above) or in the field half of the time if assigned to say an Infantry Battalion. Maybe with these odds (I feel I would be bored out of my mind if I were sitting at a desk all the time) I should be looking at another MOS (11x has been on the back of my mind for a while).
If you want to be physically able to rip the balls off of Haji you need to consider the Infantry approach.

If you are truly interested in world affairs, keeping up with them, and that sort of thing go Intel.

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
El Dave
Embryo

Post by El Dave »

Ranger AbnRgr289, I believe my problem is that I want a balance of both of those things.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

El Dave wrote:Ranger AbnRgr289, I believe my problem is that I want a balance of both of those things.

No such thing
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

El Dave wrote:Ranger AbnRgr289, I believe my problem is that I want a balance of both of those things.
A 63B would probably be the best way to go then.

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

Return to “Recruitment Process”