PT Program

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Kiknskreem
Tadpole

PT Program

Post by Kiknskreem »

What kind of PT programs do all of you preparing for enlistment follow? I've always been a weightlifter but my time to enlistment is close enough that I've got to do stop weightlifting and do military preperation. Currently I do a circuit of jumping rope, pushups, pullups, situps, etc with no more than a mintue between each succesive exercise. I am unsure of how to schedule a proper military training regimen, any help is appreciated.
Motivated. Dedicated. Heart and Soul.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Sounds like your ass needs to start running and rucking. Ruck once a week, run 3-4. Do a search on here for "running" and "rucking". keep up with your pushups, pullups and situps.
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

Your workout sounds ( in my DEPer eyes) very good. From what I hear thought Rucking is what is going to make or brake you... So go out buy that large ALICE and throw maby 35ish for 2 or 3 weeks and add a extra 5 or 10 pounds every so many weeks dependin on how much time ya got left. Thats what I would do but I have yet to go through the expirence my self so my program in a sense has not be tested yet :lol:
Doozerstick
Paratrooper

Post by Doozerstick »

I'm currently maxing the APFT on everything except pushups (fucked up my elbow and still making up for it, if any of you guys remember me bitching about that). But I'm doing like 65, which is close to a 100.

I run a few miles every day, taking a day off every 2 or 3 days and I do about 50 pullups on those days I run. I do like 150 pushups every morning and do about 60 more, multiple times throughout the day. And I do like 200 or so situps every night along with some flutter kicks for added happiness and bliss.

This has worked out really well for me... Just don't cheat yourself. Don't do 800 pushups but only in sets of 30 (how i fucked up my elbow). Make the ones you do count... don't quit until you collapse. And resting every few days is important...

I can't ruck because the Maine winter won't allow it, so I'm going to have to grunt through that when I get to basic.

Wow, I wrote too much... time for pushups.
Kiknskreem
Tadpole

Post by Kiknskreem »

Thanks for all of your replies. Devilrat, I've neve done "military rucking" per se, but I've backpacked through sectons of the AT before and environment can make alllll the difference. If you have the chance, try rucking through a park or other similar area, it can make it a much better expierience. Ranger BadMuther, I'll get on the running immediately.
Motivated. Dedicated. Heart and Soul.
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

Well I usually go rucking with my Dad ( was few months ago but is out now). We usually make small talk about what I can expect and all that jive...even though he wasnt a Ranger he was 11b for 20...
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

Yeah, I live in a huge hood' so my Dad and I walk around (woods and sidewalks) and we get all sorts of "what the..." and "HUH??" I just look down and keep going...
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Doozerstick wrote:I'm currently maxing the APFT on everything except pushups (fucked up my elbow and still making up for it, if any of you guys remember me bitching about that). But I'm doing like 65, which is close to a 100.

I run a few miles every day, taking a day off every 2 or 3 days and I do about 50 pullups on those days I run. I do like 150 pushups every morning and do about 60 more, multiple times throughout the day. And I do like 200 or so situps every night along with some flutter kicks for added happiness and bliss.

This has worked out really well for me... Just don't cheat yourself. Don't do 800 pushups but only in sets of 30 (how i fucked up my elbow). Make the ones you do count... don't quit until you collapse. And resting every few days is important...

I can't ruck because the Maine winter won't allow it, so I'm going to have to grunt through that when I get to basic.

Wow, I wrote too much... time for pushups.
Dookiestick, if that's all true, you sound like a PT stud. What's up with the excuses about not being able to ruck? Put your fucking ruck on and walk through the snow. Uphill, if you are a stud. I guarantee a hell of a workout. Good thing is, your workout will be fairly short too!
Doozerstick
Paratrooper

Post by Doozerstick »

Dookiestick, if that's all true, you sound like a PT stud. What's up with the excuses about not being able to ruck? Put your fucking ruck on and walk through the snow. Uphill, if you are a stud. I guarantee a hell of a workout. Good thing is, your workout will be fairly short too!
Ranger Badmuther, its not so much the snow as the cold causing frostbite within minutes of stepping outside. I've only been able to start running again about a month ago. Its starting to warm up now, but I ship in about a month and as of now I don't have any equipment to ruck with, so I'm just going to have worry about it later... I should've thought ahead and got the stuff a while ago but I fucked up on that one.

I wouldn't call myself a PT stud either... I can't run more than 3 miles as of now, I can just force out 2 miles in under 13:00 minutes if I really kill myself.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Dookiestick, where there's a will, there's a way.........How cold is it there anyway?

On running....my fastest time was like 1233, and I'm pretty sure the clock was off...I would run the two miles in around 1243-1247....

So you CAN be a Ranger with 1300 minute 2 miles.....course, I was alwasy the slowest guy in my squad at Batt!!!
Last edited by BadMuther on March 9th, 2004, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbarrows
Embryo

Post by rbarrows »

Doozerstick wrote:
Ranger Badmuther, its not so much the snow as the cold causing frostbite within minutes of stepping outside. I've only been able to start running again about a month ago. Its starting to warm up now, but I ship in about a month and as of now I don't have any equipment to ruck with, so I'm just going to have worry about it later... I should've thought ahead and got the stuff a while ago but I fucked up on that one.

I wouldn't call myself a PT stud either... I can't run more than 3 miles as of now, I can just force out 2 miles in under 13:00 minutes if I really kill myself.
Yeah it gets damn cold, below zero most of jan. I hate winters in maine just to damn cold, but now is a great time to start to ruck, How far are you from Baxter state park, thats an awsome place to put some miles in. Also if your ever in the midcoast theres a 12+ mile trail that goes to the peaks of Mt. Megunticok and Mt. Battie.
" Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind." Leonardo Da Vinci
I will NEVER quit!
Doozerstick
Paratrooper

Post by Doozerstick »

It had been hovering around 10 below, up until recently, which would be fine on its own, but I'm on the coast and the wind is what screws you up. Negative 5 with 30 mph winds is not a good time. But like I said, the weather isn't a factor anymore, just my screw up in not thinking about rucking.

Rbarrows, I'm like 4 hours from Baxter, so that wouldn't be a option anyway, though I have done some trails there before and I would love it if I lived closer. There are some trails around here but they're still more or less snowed in.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”