Running

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Sloth, I got a feeling you are going to be sitting next to a lot of airline bathrooms on your next couple of flights........
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Desert Sloth wrote:
Woobie wrote:Sloth, I got a feeling you are going to be sitting next to a lot of airline bathrooms on your next couple of flights........
WTF???!!! That's cold man, keepin a brotha down!
It's the whitey oppressor in me...my peeps been keepin your peeps down for centuries..... :wink:
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

Runs in OSUT shouldn't be that bad either. I think all the runs we did were never faster than 9 minute miles except on the 2 mile APFT run. If you're going to RIP and Ranger bat dont expect any runs slower than 8 minute miles.

Be mindful of how much you run, some people can run 25 miles a week their whole lives and never have problems, while others are sore after two or three runs a week.

From my personal experince running too much will just make you slower. Take a few days or even a week off once in awhile and when you start up again you'll notice your performance will be a lot better.

Theres also ways to increase your run time without even running as well. I was never a believer of this until I had some schooling from the physical therapist/physical trainer we had when I was over in 2nd bat. Shallow/deep water running, stairmaster, biking, and weight lifting are ways to get your run time and endurance up without having to bash your joints. I'm proof of this. Didn't run at all for a year straight, took the APFT 2 mile run and scored in the low 13:00's.
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
BandAid Brain
Embryo

Post by BandAid Brain »

If you need a little advice on running from outside the forum try www.newrunner.com . There are a lot of good running work outs on there to increase speed, stamina, and distance. There are also a lot of running work outs to mix-up what you are doing and keep it from gettting to boring. Some of it is a little elementary at times, but they also have some links to more advanced work outs.
"Ubi Dubium Ibi Liberatas!" -Gunter
DEP
used to have a 91W contract
Renegotiated for 11X
Report: 08APR04
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Running in the Army is easy. You go when they say go, and you stop when they say stop. In between, you run as fast as they want for as long as they want. You THINK you're gonna die.....but you don't.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Slowpoke wrote:Running in the Army is easy. You go when they say go, and you stop when they say stop. In between, you run as fast as they want for as long as they want. You THINK you're gonna die.....but you don't.
That pretty much demystifies the whole thing, Slowpoke. You've pretty much taken all the worry out of it. The Army has a training model called crawl, walk, run - it pretty much gives you the opportunity to learn at slow-speed, practice at almost the speed the skill will be used in real life, then full-speed execution of that task. This model is applied to everything from PT to technical tasks and full unit rehearsals prior to go time.

For you slow types, remedial training (repeats the cycle) is available. If you are in the Ranger Regiment and you need to repeat the cycle frequently cause you don't understand things quickly, you will find yourself out of the Ranger Regiment before too long.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Deleon-

I remember the article in the TNT about rangers training ssmarter these days. In fact, I saved it. Can you share some of these tips?

I for one, hate running. I'm interested in weightlifting can improve your run times, since weightlifting is anaerobic, and running is supposed to be aerobic.

Didn't run for a year at 2nd Batt? Blasphemy!!! :wink: Things sure have changed!
Currahee 3-4
Tadpole

Post by Currahee 3-4 »

Small world Ranger Woobie,we just missed each other in OSUT.

I barely remember the runs in OSUT,but dear God do i remember the ones in Korea.My first platoon run was through rice patties(of course this was after they warned youto never leave the roads because of minefields)

Then along came the new CSM...CSM Fitzpatrick aka "Roadrunner"Loved to run....6 miles in the morning 6 miles at night.First BN run he had was during monsoon season.I rememeber a lightening strike right before the run.Someone made the comment"Hey they cant run us in lightening" SM overheard and belted out"Men i dont give a goddamn if lightening is striking mother fuckers,we are going for a run"And we did.Just a short little motivational 10 mile run.He loved the 10 milers.

Then i had a 1SG liked to get hammered in the evenings then run it off the next day.He liked round numbers too...and we was a damn gazzelle.He'd run us till he felt better..puking up the nights beverages the whole way.Ten miles was the norm with a few laps up "currahee mountain" mixed in just to see if you would quit.

Six fucking months of 10 milers...God i miss it.

come to think of it there was a 1SG with a combat scroll at CP Casey that liked 10 milers...funny guy,great sense of humor.1SG Chin was his name i think.Always bragged about how short he was because of all of the jumps he had.lol

I think the best advice was stated earlier..its easy,just run till they tell you to stop.
Mule
Tadpole

Post by Mule »

Woobie wrote:Mule, give your body a break...how about just running 5 days a week?

Running everyday ain't friggin good for you.

Be mindful of your upperbody strength.

Short lesson...know any long distance running folks with decent upper bodies? Nope, running too much canibalizes your body...you literally eat yourself up, starting with your muscles.

Try something like running 2-5 miles 3-4 times a week, and doing a longer one once a week.
I took your advice, I'm going to run 4-5 times a week from now on. My legs were constantly sore and I don't think it was helping my run at all. My upper body and my stomach are the top two thing I work on because I have this little indention in my chest and after working out it became very small and un-noticable.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I took your advice, I'm going to run 4-5 times a week from now on. My legs were constantly sore and I don't think it was helping my run at all. My upper body and my stomach are the top two thing I work on because I have this little indention in my chest and after working out it became very small and un-noticable.

Yeah, you were probably hurting your run times. Being sore everyday is a hint your body is giving you that the muscles need to recover.

Try doing other stuff to mix it up so you don't get board-biking, swimming, etc.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Or doing aerobics while watching Spongebob Squarepants.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Thigh master. :wink:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando

Return to “About Army Physical Training”