What It Takes

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

towheel
Ranger

What It Takes

Post by towheel »

I had not planned on posting again before I left, but reading through the PHR thread made me think there was something of value that could be taken from it to pass on the those who have and will choose the Ranger path. The idea is to have Rangers and BTDT's post first or second hand accounts of enduring physical injury to see the task completed.

Specifically, as it applies to RIP and the Regiment, but I know all accounts will be of benefit. I'm sure the best advice is to suck it up and press on, but the value of knowing the lengths some have gone to see their goal realized could serve as a touch stone and a reality check. I hope that your experiences will make the difference in a critical moment of choice for those who encounter such situations.

Thanks,
----Towheel-----
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Must be nice to know that if you don't make it, you can just drive down a couple of exits and pick up a beret as it comes right off the assembly line, eh?
towheel
Ranger

Post by towheel »

would you like that in black or tan?
Last edited by towheel on February 26th, 2004, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

towheel wrote:would like that in black or tan?
Tan - Bancroft
Black - China

So, what do you think?
towheel
Ranger

Post by towheel »

Tan - Bancroft
Black - China

Black-one size fits all.

Tan-the glass slipper.

?
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Spartan wrote:Must be nice to know that if you don't make it, you can just drive down a couple of exits and pick up a beret as it comes right off the assembly line, eh?
Why didn't I do that, instead of swimming in the swamps, in the winter time, in RIP? :wink:

One of those, "back when it was hard" stories. Except now it applies to the black beret. :evil:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Injuries will not stop a true believer from becoming a Ranger.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I cut the inside of my nose while trimming my nose hairs, before a night out in the big city of Columbus.

That didn't make me any less the Ranger. :wink:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

RGR Luna wrote:I cut the inside of my nose while trimming my nose hairs, before a night out in the big city of Columbus.

That didn't make me any less the Ranger. :wink:
Dang Ranger Luna, you have set yourself up with the above statement. But your bottom line says the greatest thing and that negates any negative comments from me. Carry on Ranger! RLTW

That talk on the beret makes me think of my time overseas. We in the LRRP wore a different hat than all other in our unit. Our unit was HHC 2nd brigade. We had all the carpenters, cooks, the chaplin, radio comm guys. And many more logistic personnel. We were excused from wearing a Helmet into the woods & in the rear. Stealth was our main operating ally and an occassional helmet thuding on the ground could give us away. (Note: To Slowpoke, you can jump in any time you wish my friend.)

I will meander about a bit as I search for what I wish to say. My mindset knew I was slated to go to RVN, everybody was going. I was delayed and sent to the 82nd A.D after jump school. We practiced riot control often as our country had racial riots in the streets. And we got locked in the barracks everytime some item happened in the world. Once a Rocket was launched into space and we were locked in our barracks and told if the rocket comes down in Russia, then we are going there. We also did E & E, map reading and traversing a course set up with an enemy that was waiting to capture us. And last but not least we fought War Games between Units. I remember our Platoon Sgt. Collier talking into the radio to another Sgt saying, "Oh no, we got you first." I personally thought this was pathetic and what would be real if we were actually in a war zone. I noticed that whenever we moved with our platoon we made a whole lot of noise. Guys just didn't know how to be quiet. No wonder the other 'Army' knew we were coming. Well I got to thinking and remembered that during E & E and map reading, we traveled with just our squad and we were able to move quietly and undetected by those that were trying to capture us. Well this all was a blessing to me that told me smaller was better, less was more. When I got to RVN and volunteers were requested from our group of say 40 guys, only two of us, myself included volunteered to join the LRRP's. I had 2 guys from my squad with me all the way to this point and I said we could all be together in one unit if you guys would come too. My squad mates from the 82nd thought I was crazy for even suggesting they join with me. Needless to say they went on to their respective units & I went my way. I was glad to go into the woods with just 3 other well disciplined men. During my tenure 1st in HHC and then with the 75th, It was the men I was with that was important. I could rely on each man to do his job and complete our missions of reconnaissance. Not everyone stayed, men left for their own reason or were booted by our people as not having the correct charactaristics necessary for our jobs. When my tour was near completion I was sent home though the hospital system, spending two weeks in Japan in a hospital there and then all the way back to NY. I never imagined our unit was going to be deactivated in Dec 1970 just months after I left. I never dreamed the power to be would re-activate the 75th. Nor set it up to be an elite group as the fine Rangers on this site with their sacrifices and grueling training to make the 75th into what it is today. My point is yes, you earned the beret as it was what you were given as you achieved that level that most men don't do. It is the fortitude and tenanciousness that makes the 75th what it is today. You have each other and more brothers that join our ranks each day. Soon they may invent a hat & BDU's that can change into the surroundings so not one can find you and those men of the 75th of the future can say. "I wonder how those guys got along wearing those different colored berets back then," And his buddy saying, "yeah, but like we do today, these guys did their jobs efficently and lead the way for us."

Note: My story was not intended to belittle the black or tan beret in any way whatsoever.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

A cute little hat don't mean shit. Spit shined Corcorans don't mean shit. Haveing the most studly, ripped body don't mean shit. Mental attitude means EVERYTHING! I never quit because it simply never occured to me that I could. I'll never forget the first guy I saw quit in Jump School. I couldn't beleive it. He said he was going to jump out of airplanes.....WHY WOULD HE QUIT? The way I looked at it was....If you let a little pain get in your way, you'll never have any fun.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

Return to “The Mosh Pit”