CSM Purdy

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Speedracer

The Purd

Post by Speedracer »

One of his best sayings was" There are a lot of mother fuckers that need killing in this world"
That was before we lift for the Iran mission, Got to love him, i would follow him any were.
Last i heard while i was in Iraq was that he is wtih Black water down town in Bagdad.

doing pushups for being late, love a good CSM Purdy story. He was my PSG for A year.
Latewatch
Ranger

Post by Latewatch »

I remember CSM Purdy from the RTB. In the late 80's, they started a course for DEA Agents who would be working "down south". CSM Purdy, myself and about 8-10 other RI's (all combat vets) were chosen to run that first course. The DEA sent down 20 agents for a 6 week mini-Ranger School. CSM Purdy had these agents eating this shit up. He was out there with em every day. I remember one day I was tasked to man one of the land nav check points and here comes CSM Purdy through the clear cut with one of the DEA groups. He looked like death warmed over but, he would not stop "EVER". CSM Purdy is the epitome of a Ranger and of a combat leader. I am proud to say that I served with him.
B Co. 2/75 81-84
B Co 3/75 84-85
4th RTB 86-90
LRSD 312 MI, 1st Cav 90-91
Ranger Class 1-82
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

The DEA Basic Course got extended to nine weeks.
We also put together an selection course and then threw together a DEA Snowcap Team Leaders Course for Basic Course grads that had done a couple of rotations "down south".
Combat Kelly used to hammer the shit out of them.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Kilted Heathen wrote:The DEA Basic Course got extended to nine weeks.
We also put together an selection course and then threw together a DEA Snowcap Team Leaders Course for Basic Course grads that had done a couple of rotations "down south".
Combat Kelly used to hammer the shit out of them.
I use to have a lot of fun working with Eco when they were around. :twisted:
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Lynx0880
Ranger

Post by Lynx0880 »

Purdy = Ranger God echelons above legend.
2/75 FO 99-03
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Supposedly he is over here somewhere in Baghdad. Found that out from our training instructor yesterday.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

Doc Cook wrote:Supposedly he is over here somewhere in Baghdad. Found that out from our training instructor yesterday.
You are in the neighborhood and I don't know about it? :shock:

oh lord

Post by Guest »

ssg purdy was a big old pussy cat, very gentle ,kind and oh so loving....

get real

Post by Guest »

no shit.. he was kind and caring if you had your shit straight. however if you were a soup sandwich then hell would seem like a great place to be .because he never fucked with you just for fun he did it because your dumb ass could have got a good Ranger killed.
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

I had several run ins with CSM Purdy....he was an E-7 or 1SG at PCT in Bad Toelz. I am at IOBC and cruise thru the 4th RTB area with a tabbed buddy between cycles, and Purdy comes out of HQ and starts chasing our truck shouting, "What the fuck are you guys doing driving thru my AO?" or some such. Then a few months after I hit 1/187...he comes in as the 3/187th CSM.

One story goes that one day after a heavy rain at Campbell, he shows up for a 3/187 BN formation. He takes a sprint and dives into a mud puddle and says something like, "God damn it....lets start training!" Petraeus just looked at him and grinned. 30 min later, Purdy is back in starched BDUs in the mess hall.
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
Speedracer

Re: oh lord

Post by Speedracer »

Ranger Why wrote:ssg purdy was a big old pussy cat, very gentle ,kind and oh so loving....
:shock:
RRRIIGGHTT...

Best PSG I ever had.. :wink:
The Old Guy
Ranger

CSM Purdy

Post by The Old Guy »

The greatest combat leader in the US Army. Insulting to suggest that he may be off his rocker, he has forgotten more than I / we will ever know, CSM Purdy is a visionary. I spent three great years as a follower and would follow him to HELL IN GASOLINE UNDERWEAR!

That man has my greatest admiration and honor.

RLTW,
Michael
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances – to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Viktor E. Frankl

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”