Effectiveness of the ACU Camo Pattern ?

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Effectiveness of the ACU Camo Pattern ?

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I acquired a cap in the new ACU pattern and I am unimpressed with the pattern in a woodland enviroment. I placed it in a bush and also layed it out in a pasture that is a mix of broom sage and grass and the cap stuck out like a big piece of white garbage from within 100 yards. The loam color of the pattern seems to be too white. Has anyone here used it in a tactical enviroment ? Was it effective ? Maybe this pattern works better in a desert enviroment , but isn't it intended for the woodlands too ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Goog
Ranger

Post by Goog »

Yeah I thought the same thing about in the woods with it. I guess they figure we will be fighting in the desert for the next 10 years instead of the jungle. I think it is a camo pattern more used at night against night vision than anything else.
90-94 A co 3/75 RGR Regt (2plt/HQ/Wpns)
94-97 75th RGR Regt (Pre-RGR)
Graduated Ranger Class 2-92 "Merrills Marauder"
CAL
Paratrooper

Post by CAL »

Has there been any thought of adapting a couple of different uniforms depending on the terrain of the theater of operations? Much like the DCUs for the desert, BDUs for the jungle, etc - or is the ACU the end all?
ArmyParatrooper.org

514th Sig Co. (LRE) '97-'02
AATW!
CGoog

Post by CGoog »

From what I heard the ACU's are the end of the line, I think they are the crappiest uniform they ever invented.
medicchick
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by medicchick »

cgoog wrote:From what I heard the ACU's are the end of the line, I think they are the crappiest uniform they ever invented.
Have you dealt with them at all?

I like them, but the pattern is more suited to an urban area. When the guys are prone on the firing range, in the gravel, I have a hard time seeing them. I believe at one point there were plans for a desert and a woodland pattern.
Someone needs to teach the regular Army how to make a packing list.

Supporting my DAV, one day at a time.
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

Nothing a can of spray paint wont fix!!
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
kingaxis
Ranger

Post by kingaxis »

The new digitized camo sucks in the woods. I guess they are planning on fighting in the desert for a while. I had the chance to use the desert acu's on my first tour of Iraq. I like the design, with pockets on the upper arm and calf area. I think if they just stayed with the woodland and desert patterns it would have been great. I do get some grief for modifying my woodland and desert bdu's to put the pockets on the upper arm on my field uniforms.
3rd Plt. (Original War Toads), B Co, 2/75 91-93
B Co 1/509 PIR 93-95
Civilian 95-99
B Co 5/20 Stryker 99-04
HHC 5/20 Stryker 05-Present
Ranger Class 07-00

RLTW

RIP TomTom
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Haven't worn them yet, but have been around mucho folks wearing them. The only complaints I'm getting are that the forearm pencil stash needs to be covered to prevent snagging on the pencil / pens (to be fixed in the MOD 3 ACU) and that the velcro on the sleeves gets full of crap in the desert (easy fix, sew yer unit / combat patch onto a piece of ACU material the size of the velcro pile patch, then sew that onto the correct size piece of velcro hooks patch. Now yer groovy, baby, and that ugly ol velcro patch is neatly hidden by the ACU backing up your nifty combat patch.

Other than the color (WTF, still better than the Vietnamese aiming stake) perhaps the only other negative thing is that you can't roll up the sleeves.

I'll likely be having to buy a set or two pretty soon. I understand that the mandatory posession date is March 06...

MY .02 Kopek opinion: If the only other uniform you've ever worn or cleaned fer yer man is the BDU, then your opinion isn't based on a very big base. To say that it is the worst thing they ever came out with is to get pretty far out on a branch that's pretty thin, and not based in experience.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
CGoog

Post by CGoog »

Medicchick, Yes I have delt with them, I deal with them everyday, I make and sell patches for them and any sewing that needs to be done to them, just a little bit more info for you, if you wear them out into the field any stains you get on them including grass stains, does not come out, and the uniform its self wears out very easily.
CGoog

Post by CGoog »

Ranger B 2/75 , We have had quit a few people come in and have the whole sewing of the combat, unit patch to a acu piece and sewn to velcro, it actually comes out looking really nice...lot of work though. :D
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

I go to woods with them and they are decent. If you use the right detergent you can get any stain out. Including the GA red clay. They are extremely confortable. They feel like broken in fields right out of the box.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Goog
Ranger

Post by Goog »

They don't stand up to wear that well at all yet. The 1st batches were coming apart at some of the seams (mostly waist and a few other areas). They are also wind proof, good when its cold, but hotter than BDUs in the summer. I like them as far a comfortable to wear and the new pockets. For a more woodland environment, I like the Marines digitized pattern.
90-94 A co 3/75 RGR Regt (2plt/HQ/Wpns)
94-97 75th RGR Regt (Pre-RGR)
Graduated Ranger Class 2-92 "Merrills Marauder"
medicchick
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by medicchick »

Unknown wrote:I go to woods with them and they are decent. If you use the right detergent you can get any stain out. Including the GA red clay. They are extremely confortable. They feel like broken in fields right out of the box.
This is about Rsov's stand on them. I've been dealing with them daily for over 8 months, and they have yet to wear out, and trust me, he's not easy on them. I have yet to wash them and NOT get a stain out.
Someone needs to teach the regular Army how to make a packing list.

Supporting my DAV, one day at a time.
Cat
Tadpole

Post by Cat »

cgoog wrote:Medicchick, Yes I have delt with them, I deal with them everyday, I make and sell patches for them and any sewing that needs to be done to them, just a little bit more info for you, if you wear them out into the field any stains you get on them including grass stains, does not come out, and the uniform its self wears out very easily.
That is the assesment I got on them from soldiers as well.
U.S. Army Signal Corps, 31M7A/31S
385th SigCo (FWD) Kuwait Jan 94- Dec 94
235th(67th) TACSAT Ft Gordon, GA. 95-97
--
Mainz-Kastel, Germany 98-00, AD Dept
Ft Bragg 00-02, AD Dept
CGoog

Post by CGoog »

Good for you, medicchick! :?

Return to “Personal Gear”