Ranger Training Brigade Updates

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Ranger Training Brigade Updates

Post by Ranger »

The following news appears in the Ft. Benning Bayonet. The Ranger Training Brigade has a pilot program underway now that allows a few support personnel in the Army to attend the Ranger Course. This isn't a change in policy as of yet, but a way to see if support soldiers will do well, and possibly to expand it to bring more warrior skills (and values) to support units. Article here.

Also, the 4th Ranger Training Battalion's Reconnaissance and Surveillance Leaders Course, manned by D Company, trains the Soldiers who scout deep behind enemy lines in long range surveillance units. The unit has deployed to Iraq to help the deployed units stay current on their skills and send additional personnel to the course. Article here.
DO NOT PM ME
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

They act like that is new??????

Support Mos's were going through in 92....

I'm not the end all to be all on RTB, so I can't tell you how long before or after 92 they were allowed in....
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

With 90 percent of the Army's LRS units in Iraq conducting the type of missions usually reserved for Special Forces - training Iraqi border guards and the like -
There was a thread on this at pnet....
Farmer40
Embryo

Post by Farmer40 »

We had support types, as well as draftees, in our class in 1966.
Class 7-66
RVN -- 1/12 Cav(Abn)-66-67, 5SFGA-68, 4/3 Inf-69-70
jakeshoe
Ranger

Post by jakeshoe »

Yeah,
Easy now...

This old tabless bitch plans to rejoin as a Flight Warrant and there has GOTTA BE a way for me to go to Ranger School.

Unfinished business.

4 years in 2nd Batt, promoted to E-5 without it, but it still lingers.
I'll probably be at least 30, wish I coulda knocked it out when I was 19 but if there's a way....

Now where do I find the avatars...
Aco/HHC 2/75 95-99
Lugnuttz
Ranger

Post by Lugnuttz »

They're not talking about low density MOS from battalion or RTB, but support fuckers attached to any infantry unit. I'm a support MOS, but I payed my dues in battalion. Whats going to end up happening is any leg support fuck who scores a 300 on his PT test is going to get a shot. All this equals is more shitbags in ranger school. Bad idea.............but I still hope it works out for the army and for the soldiers.
HHC 3/75 BN Commo 01-04
RGR Class 03-03
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

First let me start this by saying I served as a Ranger Instructor for 2 years and then moved to become the Brigade Operations toad, so I speak with a little institutional knowledge.

Support soldiers going to Ranger school is nothing new. It was stopped for a while due to cost cutting and to focus on the war fighters. The current COSA feels that all soldiers (MOS immaterial) are war fighters. The Jessica convoy is a good indicator of this truth.

Therefore we are returning to the days of anyone who can meet the standards may attend Ranger school. I feel it will make the Shooters who attend a little better because they'll have to mentor the support soldiers while attending. I and other people who attended during the days of everyone attending can attest to the mentorship we provideded. All in all it'll make a tougher more combat effective force. Besides if you can help a supply clerk make it through Ranger school you can motivate a squad to close with and destroy the enemy.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Im with Gronk. Ranger School is, for all intents and purposes, a Leadership School of magnitude. I have sent E-5's, 6's to Ranger School through the National Guard. If they made it, I got back NCO's who were streamlined, get the job done, take no shit from anyone, leaders.
Much as I love the segregation, I want these units regardless of who they are or what they do to have leaders who can fight, lead from the front, and take charge.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Lugnuttz
Ranger

Post by Lugnuttz »

Abell9 wrote:Im with Gronk. Ranger School is, for all intents and purposes, a Leadership School of magnitude. I have sent E-5's, 6's to Ranger School through the National Guard. If they made it, I got back NCO's who were streamlined, get the job done, take no shit from anyone, leaders.
Much as I love the segregation, I want these units regardless of who they are or what they do to have leaders who can fight, lead from the front, and take charge.
I agree with you. The school is designed to train leaders for the rigors of combat. Unfortunately, I've had terrible experiences with soldiers from the regular army. I imagine this is why I have such a biased opinion against these soldiers. On multiple ocassions, I've witnessed piss poor leadership and a basic disregard for another soldiers welfare. But I'm optimistic, I believe there are leaders who care about their soldiers welfare. I guess my biased outlook outlines my military inexperience. Thanks to both you and ranger gronk for the professional development.
HHC 3/75 BN Commo 01-04
RGR Class 03-03

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”